Axeman's Rig Journal

tfranks

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Once the damage is done its done. Skids are cheap insurance. I think the most common is the rear lower control mounts on the frame side. They get bashed easily. Then go with the axle-side control arm skids because they are low and easy to bend. The diff skids are nice for sliding over, but not as necessary because the axle housings are pretty solid. You are more likely to peel the diff cover off the housing than to damage it, I just like the ability to slide and not get hung up
Awesome, thanks for the tips!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Few updates. Been a busy summer with lots of topless and doorless days.
I use the RainGear cab cover for days when I work. Whether or not there is any rain in the forecast, I like to keep the sun from beating the leather all day and any flyover mishaps...

I also have been running the CMM mirrors. They gave me a 15% code to help offset the tremendous cost of these. Well worth it though. I prefer the lower mount position.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3128

In an attempt to clean up the dash some I installed the Bullet Point Mounting passenger side bracket. I wanted it on the same side as the USB port so I could run a short cable.

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3195

I ended up tucking the cable behind the control panel while I had it off for some other wiring

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3302

I used the Quadratec 12V power adapter to run a hidden 12V connection behind the dash for my dash camera without having to cut into any harnesses.

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
New today: M.O.R.E. Hide-A-Step. Got these for 20% off over Labor Day weekend.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3321

I really wanted to keep the Mopar Rock Rails so these are great. 2 quick pins and they are out of the way when wheeling.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3322

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3323

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3324

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3325

Also just picked up a set of ThinSkinz for my rear doors. These will help keep the pups from damaging the door panels.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3320

These pop on an off quick and easy. I'm considering a rear seat delete next. I rarely, if ever have anyone in the backseat and its too high for the dogs. The Goose Gear is nice but not looking to spend 1k right now.

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
New FrontRunner Load Bars installed today onto my Revolver X4s cover. I went this route rather than a full rack so I can easily and quickly remove them when not in use. They will mainly be used for my RTT, keeping it at a height just below the roof line.
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3353

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3354

I didn't want the weight of a full rack, or a system that mounted under the cover that messed with the seals. The cover rolls right under the rear rail, and stops at the front rail. Front Runner does make longer legs to raise the bars higher, but I worried about the tent being too high when off roading

Sponsored

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Tent is on. Will need to adjust the ladder so it locks at the right height.

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3361

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3362

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Got started on my rear seat delete/platform system. I really liked the look of the Goose Gear so I made my own version. Used 1/2" white birch plywood and truck bed paint.

Rear seat removed
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3377

Cardboard templates
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3379

Driver side rear
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3386

Passenger side coming together
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3429

Done for now
Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3435

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3436

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3437

Jeep Gladiator Axeman's Rig Journal IMG_3438

I will make adjustments as I get some use and see what it needs. I will need to get some kind of mat for comfort and traction for the dogs. Will likely also add a few tie down points, but I am happy the way this turned out.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Got started on my rear seat delete/platform system. I really liked the look of the Goose Gear so I made my own version. Used 1/2" white birch plywood and truck bed paint.

Rear seat removed

Cardboard templates

Driver side rear

Passenger side coming together

Done for now

I will make adjustments as I get some use and see what it needs. I will need to get some kind of mat for comfort and traction for the dogs. Will likely also add a few tie down points, but I am happy the way this turned out.
Looks good, would love to do this with mine, but I've got 18 years before I don't have to worry about moving kids around in the back seat. Maybe in my next Gladiator.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
New FrontRunner Load Bars installed today onto my Revolver X4s cover. I went this route rather than a full rack so I can easily and quickly remove them when not in use. They will mainly be used for my RTT, keeping it at a height just below the roof line.

I didn't want the weight of a full rack, or a system that mounted under the cover that messed with the seals. The cover rolls right under the rear rail, and stops at the front rail. Front Runner does make longer legs to raise the bars higher, but I worried about the tent being too high when off roading
Is this the specific rack you went with from front runner? https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ts/pickup-roll-top-load-bar-kit-1475mm-w.html
I have a very similar set up using a soft cover and voodoo crossbars, but like the idea of a hard rolling tonneau and removable crossbars when the tent isnt in use.

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Is this the specific rack you went with from front runner? https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...ts/pickup-roll-top-load-bar-kit-1475mm-w.html
I have a very similar set up using a soft cover and voodoo crossbars, but like the idea of a hard rolling tonneau and removable crossbars when the tent isnt in use.
Its not, but it is the exact part numbers. I just went through their customer service for the legs and load bars, but they did order me the same part numbers listed on this existing kit.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Its not, but it is the exact part numbers. I just went through their customer service for the legs and load bars, but they did order me the same part numbers listed on this existing kit.
Thanks for the response. I'll confirm with frontrunner. Noticed any issues with that setup? Main concern is weight on the t-slot when off road.

OP
OP
Axeman

Axeman

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Auto Tech
Thanks for the response. I'll confirm with frontrunner. Noticed any issues with that setup? Main concern is weight on the t-slot when off road.
no issues so far. I don't have the tent on often but have wheeled with it a few times
Sponsored