First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Im getting ready to dump the lube and inspect the gears on the front and rear axles on the Gadiator. Its got around 22k on the rear and maybe 40 miles on the front. The front prob doesnt need it realistically, but the rear is still on the original oil, and I want to change and clean out any particulates or what have you that may have accumulated. LONG STORY...anyway..are the gaskets reusable? They show as nearly $40 per, and thats got to be a robust gasket, not a typical paper/fiber style. Anyone thats had the covers off chime in please before I buy high dollar gaskets for no reason.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The gaskets are reusable. Should still inspect them to make sure they are not nicked or distorted.

I would not even bother with the front at that mileage. I did mine at 30K miles on my 2020 Gladiator and the front diff fluid was still like new.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Thanks Hootbro, thats the same thing I was thinking about the front. Only some trail use in 4wd, not many miles yet. Good to hear the gaskets are reuseable, I will make this a project this weekend. One other thing. looks like I gotta drop the the front track bar to get the cover off in the future.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
One other thing. looks like I gotta drop the the front track bar to get the cover off in the future.

I think with the factory steel cover, you can snake it out without removing the front track bar. If you install a thicker aftermarket cover, then for sure the track bar needs to come out.

If you do not remove the front cover this time, I would suggest still checking the fluid level at the fill plug. Mine and other people have reported the diffs being under filled from the factory and I had to add almost 1/3 of a quart to top off.

Lastly, service data says the diff cover bolt torque is 30 ft-lbs. That is for new fasteners since they recommend not reusing the old bolt fasteners. If reusing the old fasteners, I would recommend knocking that torque down to like 25-27 ft-lbs or you run the risk of snapping the old fasteners off if going to the full 30 ft-lbs. New fasteners come with a low torque loctite already applied. If you reapply a loctite material, let it dry before installing or you will run the risk of over torque the fastener.

Jeep Gladiator Axle Cover Gaskets Screenshot_20230213_101725_Drive

Attachments

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Like it was said. The gaskets are reusable. Wipe them off, and inspect. You don't have to remove the track bar. The front diff cover slide out. I installed the cast iron Dana diff cover without removing the track bar.

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
I removed my front cover too without removing the track bar. Don’t forget to clean off the locker sensor magnet too in the rear.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Great info here, thanks to all. I am considering an aftermarket type cover for both axles. So maybe I could sneak it in there without the track bar coming off. Will soon see. I dont believe in getting new bolting hardware for every damn thing...unless its a torque to yeild like a main bearing saddle or head bolt, I will mostly alway reuse the bolting. Where do yall get the service manual info, is that on the jeep app somewhere.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Great info here, thanks to all. I am considering an aftermarket type cover for both axles. So maybe I could sneak it in there without the track bar coming off. Will soon see. I dont believe in getting new bolting hardware for every damn thing...unless its a torque to yeild like a main bearing saddle or head bolt, I will mostly alway reuse the bolting. Where do yall get the service manual info, is that on the jeep app somewhere.
If you get the Dana diff covers. They come with new bolts.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I used a floor jack to raise the left side of the JT when I installed my new Dana cover. Swings the track bar out of the way.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
The gaskets are reusable. Should still inspect them to make sure they are not nicked or distorted.

I would not even bother with the front at that mileage. I did mine at 30K miles on my 2020 Gladiator and the front diff fluid was still like new.
I upgraded my 2020 to 4.88s at 68K and did a fluid change at 121K. And like you, my fluid looked good. I didn't take the covers off though. Just the fluid change. My diffs haven't been open since the gear upgrade.
Sponsored