Babland Apex Control Box relocation

Florida Mojave

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2018 JKU, 2021 JT Mojave
Does anybody have any advice on Relocating the control Box?
I had the same issue and I drilled a 3/4" hole in the cover to relocate the positive cable exit location, just the same as Summitsearcher did in the above pictures - worked perfectly!!!
Sponsored

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
That is tight! @ShadowsPapa is right, spacer plate would resolve the grill clearance. I had a little more space with mine and just went out the side. May still use a plate anyway.
D8176E40-D741-420E-93F9-92C0D7FB6270.jpeg
I just installed one for my wife and did the exact same thing. I'm curious if you plugged the factory hole in the control box and if you did, what you used? Thanks

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed one for my wife and did the exact same thing. I'm curious if you plugged the factory hole in the control box and if you did, what you used? Thanks
3/4” rubber grommet plug. Any hardware store should have it.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Trimming the grill? Wow.
Are you saying that top box won't fit, or the CABLE won't clear???
You can re-route the cable out the passenger end of that top box - several here have done that.
If the winch isn't clearing - what plate are you using? Never heard of the winch control box itselt not clearing.

Mine fit. I did tweak the wire routing a bit, and I did put washers in to space the winch plate out about 1/8" - but -
I could have used the member-made plates to space it out but I don't think he was making them when I did my winch.
You can buy his spacer plates in 1/4 or 3/8" thickness. They come unpainted and un-powdercoated but that's fine - I'll powder coat mine.

You can route the power cable out the right end of the top cover, or do like I did............

20201015_170039_HDR.jpg
I put this same winch on my 2022. First, you need to change the power lead to come out the side, and plug the hole where it came out from the factory. Then I had to add 3 flat washers to the bumper to frame brackets to space it out just enough to get it to sit there without impacting the grill. When tightening the winch mounts I pushed it forward as much as possible, there is a small amount of play there. Afterwards it all fit and all is good. I dont remember what bumper I have, one of the RC ones I believe

Note: I see Im late to the party on the relocation of the power lead, but yeah, gotta do it with these larger winches in a small spot

Jeep Gladiator Babland Apex Control Box relocation 1660128787078

Sponsored

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I relocated the power wire in mine also out the side. The motobuilt bumper I trimmed the tapered sections out to fit the winch.

I did not reseal the old wire hole. The control solenoid box underneath is already sealed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I relocated the power wire in mine also out the side. The motobuilt bumper I trimmed the tapered sections out to fit the winch.

I did not reseal the old wire hole. The control solenoid box underneath is already sealed.
Yeah, it kind of is, but the copper under the top cover - let's just say mine was turning green from water getting in. Eventually it would cause problems.

I put this same winch on my 2022. First, you need to change the power lead to come out the side,
As you see, I didn't relocate mine and it wasn't tight at all. I could stick my little finger between the cable and grill.

but yeah, gotta do it with these larger winches in a small spot
You don't gotta........ I didn't the first time. I didn't use spacers but if I had, it would have been even better. Like I said -I could stick a finger between cable and grill.
I removed everything to trade the truck and there wasn't so much as a scuff on the grill from any part of my install (I'm too OCD to let it even be close to rubbing!)

I DID go ahead and re-route the cable this time because of the new winch plate being a bit different, and I just decided to do things a bit different this time.
Anyway, there was plenty of room with my winch on the 2020. There was no reason to do any more than pull the cable around and clamp it like i did in the pic. And it wasn't even close. It never touched.

YMMV depending on your winch plate!

Seal that hole - car wash detergents, winter salt, whatever, will cause the copper under the cover to turn green - oxidize. If it gets bad enough you'll have problems. Car wash detergents are caustic - will destroy copper with time. I used to work at a car wash as a teen - and the cleaner I use for plating says to leave copper or brass in the cleaner for only TEN SECONDS. There's a clue.

I decided to move the cable this time around - because I could, because I wanted to see what the fuss was about, and finally - just because. I also wanted to clean up under that cover - clean connections.

Back hole sealed - i epoxied a solid grommet in the hole, and the grommet around the cable is fairly snug.

Jeep Gladiator Babland Apex Control Box relocation 20220808_143346

Jeep Gladiator Babland Apex Control Box relocation 20220808_143331_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Babland Apex Control Box relocation 20220810_102016_HDR

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT