Sponsored

Bad experience - What air bags work well for the Gladiator?

jeepers29

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, GC
Occupation
Domestic engineer
Would these be of any help if you use a WDH when towing a travel trailer?
Sponsored

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Would these be of any help if you use a WDH when towing a travel trailer?
Yes. I use a WDH as well as the bags. I set it up with the bags pressurized, about 40 psi. The result is level, but also a solid, no-bounce ride, with a planted feel to the front.

OP
OP
Overland-2021

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I had the EXACT issue when installing the same airbags - even the same conversation with Nick.
The bags did not fill the space at all when jacked up.
Thought for sure I would loose the lower plug.
He assured me they would be ok.
Been installed for more than a year and no issues at all - work like they are supposed to.
I never put more than 20psi as 10-15 is usually more than enough.

Hope that helps...

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
They are very easy to install once you know the trick. It took me a little bit to get it down on my Ram 1500 but once I did it took moments. Then I added some on my sons Ram1500 in just about 10 minutes.

You remove the cap on the air fitting, then press it down with your knee on a hard surface. Then fold up the sides and have some zip ties ready to cinch it down. Maybe in three locations. The top and bottom will fold to the outside, and it will finish looking like a red or black or blue hot dog bun. Replace the cap. Lifting the rear some from the hitch will let the springs stretch open more and you simply slip them in, air fitting up. Then snip the zip ties and remove the cap and they will go back to their normal shape. Then add the air lines and your done.

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
I'm just about to install my Airlift 1000 bags and have seen on YouTube them fitted with a single fill and a dual fill. On a single fill (and T-piece to both bags), will air not transfer from one bag to the other when cornering, unhelpfully 'lifting' the unloaded side?

Sponsored

Stitchedupseats

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
I'm just about to install my Airlift 1000 bags and have seen on YouTube them fitted with a single fill and a dual fill. On a single fill (and T-piece to both bags), will air not transfer from one bag to the other when cornering, unhelpfully 'lifting' the unloaded side?
I never had that be an issue.

OP
OP
Overland-2021

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Me either.
I have never put more then 12psi in so I dont know if higher pressure makes a diff

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ive had my bags in for nearly two years and haven’t had this happen yet. Ive run them ad high as 25psi, but if i use them theyre set to 10-12psi.

im actually wondering how long the plastic on these bags is good for.

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I understand why you ask, and it makes sense.
Practically, I have never experienced this and have been running them for at least 2 yrs.
My guess for why it doesn't happen is that the lines connecting them damp/slow the flow rate between them enough that it doesn't make a difference when cornering (might get into trouble when racing at a Nascar event though!).

Adding to that a bit though, I wonder if you could get some odd behavior initially driving after parking with the rear flexed (until the bags equalize) ... never have done this myself though

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
Ive had my bags in for nearly two years and haven’t had this happen yet. Ive run them ad high as 25psi, but if i use them theyre set to 10-12psi.

Longevity is one of my concerns, compounded that here in Qatar we spend a lot of the year with high temps and humidity (plastics seem to age quite quickly). Has anyone on here run them in the hotter states of the US?

Sponsored

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I installed a set of Firestone airbags purchased from truckspring.com.

One of the bags ruptured after about a week (around 15psi).

I contacted truckspring.com and they said not their problem and that I should contact Firestone, who refused to take a phone call...

So AVOID Firestone at all costs. There is in essence no warranty on these products.

I will get some pictures up of the bags that I had to use a reciprocating saw to cut out of the springs.

Last edited:

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on these. Looking for good results for some minimal sag when towing.
Sponsored