Sponsored

Bed Cover Preference: Roll Up or Flip Up, and Why?

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
I have a Truxedo LoPro roll-up soft cover on my other truck, and it's served me well, so I put the same on the JT. I can't imagine a tri-fold, or a one-piece hard cover, due to their restrictions on bed access.
One huge advantage to the LoPro: it has a lifetime warranty. My first one is on a 2006 SuperDuty, and I've practically rebuilt the entire thing, and it hasn't cost a dime.

Kevin
This is what I went with as well. I don't need security, just a way to keep out the elements and I occasionally need to haul larger items like my motorcycles. The quality and price on the LoPro are pretty tough to beat in the roll-up category. No matter what you want to go with, contact the rep on this forum if there is one. They often offer nice discounts.
Sponsored

NCLife

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
@mrworldwide79 Does the Bak stay in place mid-bed if the truck is moving? (example: Bike in back of bed, luggage in front - want to cover luggage while truck moving)
Are you asking about the Flip X4 rolling? If yes, the answer is no. It is secured at full roll-up with two straps.

kad's_Glad

First Name
Rufus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mojave - Sting Gray
Occupation
Retired
I have the same dilemma. I had a Retrax One canister style rolling cover on my Tacoma and loved everything about it except the canister. Great security, good weather protection, and I could lock it in any position along the bed which allowed it to act like a load bar and saved me having to strap quite a few things down (and that came in handy - a lot). Had it on the truck for almost 6 years. Still looked great when I removed it to sell the truck. BUT - that canister got in the way a fair amount and it was too heavy/awkward to remove without a really, really good reason to do so. I actually kept it in hopes of putting it on my Mojave because it was paid for. But Retrax says it wonā€™t fit because of the fuel filler bulge in the bed.

The Roll N Lock XT has a much smaller canister than the Retrax did which is a plus. But Iā€™m still a bit gun shy on that style. I keep returning to the idea of a BAK Revolver 4XS but havenā€™t pull the trigger yet. I know Iā€™ll appreciate the full bed access, rigid but rolling design, security, and easier removal. The only down side to it for me (beyond the price) is not being able to lock it in a partially open position.

Unless something here convinces me otherwise Iā€™ll likely be investing in the 4XS at months end.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
I've had the BAK 4Xs roll-up for almost a year and it's been a great addition to the Gladiator. Didn't want one that flips because I didn't want the rear window to be blocked.

Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have the Tyger roll up tonneau and itā€™s served me well, especially for $200. As others said itā€™s convenient to offer some small security (if only in the ā€œout of sight, out of mindā€ manner) and rolls up to leave the whole bed.

My last truck had a hard trifold (backflip, I believe) and I liked that it was a bit more secure, but while it did fold the whole way up, it blocked the entire rear window. That one in particular also had a frequent tendency to freeze to the tailgate.

I feel like a hard roll up would be the best fit for me, I just donā€™t like the prices on them šŸ¤£

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hi I am in the same dilemma. I have purchased a 2022 Mojave and live in the mid-west so we see a far amount of snow. My main purpose would be to keep things out of the elements and not really for security. I really donā€™t carry things that have significant value. I was looking at the Mopar soft roll up because it looks simple and versatile. Can anyone shed their opinions on the Mopar brand, if they like it or not? The one thing that concerns me is the sides donā€™t have any type of securement point and just lays on the bed rails. Does this have a tendency to flap around and possibly let water in? Thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Mine has never leaked.
I drove through our derechos with 70 mph wind driving the rain (the sort of wind that flattened highway signs and knocked trees over)
I've had it in blowing snow and torrential rains, Iowa winds, no problems.
The only snow or rain I've ever had get in came in through the sides and bottom of the tailgate gap - nothing to do with the cover.
I've had mine since November 2019 and if I had to do it over again I would in a heartbeat. It works fine for me, fast and simple. I wouldn't be too worried about luggage or other things in there, especially if near the front because of the tailgate not sealing well - but I plan on buying a seal for the tailgate then it should be fine.

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I've been lurking in all the threads on bed covers, and just about the time I land on one that I like, I find a thread where someone has a nightmare experience with it. I'm sure there's going to be someone out there who's had a problem with just about every one on the market. What's your preference, roll up or flip up? Specifically, I'd love to hear if you had one type and switched to the other, and for what reasons. I don't often haul stuff that is higher than the bed rail, but there is the occasional load of mulch, etc. And I wouldn't typically have anything back there I would be so concerned about regarding security that I wouldn't lock in the cab instead. Is one easier to take off in a pinch than the other? I have the factory bedliner if that makes a difference on your response. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I got the soft, roll-up one when I ordered the Jeep (factory-installed). It works pretty well and is easy to roll up. Sometimes getting it latched involves a little stretching of the fabric, but it's not too hard. I noticed that the fabric is sagging a little after owning it for 2 years.

-Erik

1stXMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I put on a Softopper and love it. I run in safari mode 99% of the time. If I need to keep elements out I just drop the back and sides. It folds down out of my way to carry tall items.

20211010_163707.jpg

ScottDB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I have a Rugged Ridge soft roller. It's perfect. There when I want it, out of the way when I don't.

Sponsored

Mojave34

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired
Hi, does anyone have the Truxedo soft roll up. Whatā€™s your opinion on it? Also I was interested in the Low Pro in the vinyl version. Then I seen Pro X15 in a fabric version. I kinda like the fabric version but I could see it might be hard to keep clean. Thoughts please. Thanks.

ArmyMP

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon "Betsy"
Occupation
Veteran
I prefer the rolling or coiling kind. Don't really like this cloth mopar one my jeep came with.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting stuff on bed covers out there - been doing more reading on drag, wind tunnel tests, reducing the drag coefficient on trucks and so on - GM and other independent testing has shown that tonneau covers actually have an impact on drag and help reduce it - some several percent.
Here's a statement from GM testing -

So what accessories can truck owners add to help aerodynamics? Tonneau covers for the bed help smooth airflow over the truck, soft covers are more beneficial than hard covers because they form to how the air wants to flow.

Another group used a race track to do some testing and still another guy has quite a nice study paper on such things using various trucks with different covers at different speeds.
Bottom line - tonneau covers reduce drag and soft covers reduce it a bit more than hard.

Blackjeepjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi, 2015 2dr Jk hard rock rubi
I have the Tyger roll up tonneau and itā€™s served me well, especially for $200. As others said itā€™s convenient to offer some small security (if only in the ā€œout of sight, out of mindā€ manner) and rolls up to leave the whole bed.

My last truck had a hard trifold (backflip, I believe) and I liked that it was a bit more secure, but while it did fold the whole way up, it blocked the entire rear window. That one in particular also had a frequent tendency to freeze to the tailgate.

I feel like a hard roll up would be the best fit for me, I just donā€™t like the prices on them šŸ¤£
Same here on the tyger roll up <$200 on Amazon. Velcro sides, doesnā€™t flop. Amazingly my bed stays dry with the exception of a very little bit of moisture at bottom of tailgate. Mine was purchased just to cover spare tire in bed. Cheaper than a bed mount that would stick up and block back window, keeps uv off tire and crud from settling on rim. Easy to remove when need to haul.
Hard part is getting the spare in and out of bed for hauling!

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
BAK 4Xs roll-up. Easy installation, leak-free and road tested. Easy to use and I like the hard/rolloup combo.
Sponsored