EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2016 Land Rover Discovery
Vehicle Showcase
Made this bed partition/grocery holder/plywood-drywall holder in between zoom meetings today (it was at lunch time! in case my boss asks - he owns a JL).
Owner's Manual call for 2 2x4's but why go that route when you can use a 2x8 and trim 1/4" off of it. 

I may add holes and slots for bungee cords to tie smaller things down after figuring out what I use and need the most (only got the truck yesterday). 

If anybody wants to take some of the guessing game out, see below for measurements.
Cut one 2x8 at 57 5/8" in length. Cut the bottom corner (3/4" in, at 45 degrees - that'll allow the piece (and weight on top) to rest on the bottom of the bed, not the rounded corners.
Then the handles were made with a 2 ½” hole saw and a jig saw.
I then rounded everything over with a router and gave it all a quick sanding before painting.

For carrying sheet materials, you'll also need a 2x4 cut at 50" long. Laying flat, you will need to trim the corners coming in contact with the bed for the same reasons we cut them in the other piece.

This took me 45 min from start to finish (I even made a second set for a friend). I didn't use treated lumber as this is a quick fix for now and my bed cover is arriving later this week. It’ll do the job for now until I come up with a nicer and better design.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Partition / Grocery & Drywall Holder Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 3.47.39 PM
Jeep Gladiator Bed Partition / Grocery & Drywall Holder Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 3.55.08 PM
Jeep Gladiator Bed Partition / Grocery & Drywall Holder Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 3.55.22 PM
Jeep Gladiator Bed Partition / Grocery & Drywall Holder Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 3.55.54 PM
Sponsored

jeepdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator , 91 Grand Wagoneer, 1964 CJ3B, 1967 Kaiser Jeep M715, two unrestored 1956 Willys Pickups
This is on my immediate "to do" list.
Thanks for the photos and measurements.
I installed an UnderCover Ultra Flex folding tonneau yesterday.
Got to keep them groceries dry, and not having them sliding around. LOL

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is on my immediate "to do" list.
Thanks for the photos and measurements.
I installed an UnderCover Ultra Flex folding tonneau yesterday.
Got to keep them groceries dry, and not having them sliding around. LOL
No problem.
I'm playing with the idea of cuting a rectangle the size of a 2x6 vertically in the center and have the option of dividing the width of the bed in half in case we're running small errands and need things to be kept tight. Not sure if that or a bunch of holes in the board and bungee cords will work best.
The great thing with this project is that you're only $10 in between the 2x8 and the can of spray paint, so you can always test new things out. Good luck with your build! Let me know if you come up with a better or more elaborate design!

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Nice solution, low cost, low effort, excellent outcome - thanks for sharing

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
Hi. Any reason not to step it up one more size to 2”x12”?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi. Any reason not to step it up one more size to 2”x12”?
I'm not sure where that would land the drywall in comparison to the tailgate and the front of the bed, unless you're implying the drywall wouldn't lay flat, but at an angle rather.
By using the dimensions I listed, as well as the 2x4 in the front of the bed, and keeping your tailgate at the halfway point (the two cables get hooked behind hooks so the tailgate doesnt open fully), the sheet goods (or anything for that matter) lay 100% flat.
let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll try to snap a picture for ya.

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
No. I’m thinking a 2” x 12” board divider to mount things to, like a molle panel, but made of wood. I’m also wondering if E track end sockets would help in some way. I can’t wait until my Gladiator comes in next week so I can do some actual experimenting.

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No. I’m thinking a 2” x 12” board divider to mount things to, like a molle panel, but made of wood. I’m also wondering if E track end sockets would help in some way. I can’t wait until my Gladiator comes in next week so I can do some actual experimenting.
Ohhh Okay I see what you mean. Yes, I think 12" would definitely work, even if you have a tonneau cover on your bed.
I use the bed a lot for sheet goods so it would work for me, but I am thinking about adding more holes and hooks to this so I can strap a few more things on the other side.
Good luck with your purchase, you'll love it!

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
Ohhh Okay I see what you mean. Yes, I think 12" would definitely work, even if you have a tonneau cover on your bed.
I use the bed a lot for sheet goods so it would work for me, but I am thinking about adding more holes and hooks to this so I can strap a few more things on the other side.
Good luck with your purchase, you'll love it!
I do have the tonneau cover, which is why I’m looking for solutions that won’t cost $200 per board.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do have the tonneau cover, which is why I’m looking for solutions that won’t cost $200 per board.
I just thought of something though, i dont think a 2x12 will fit unless you trim the top half of the board a couple of inches on either sides. You wont be able to slide the board under the lip at the top of the bed and then slide it in its spot. Shouldn't be a big deal but i'd bet ya a beer you're going to run into this issue

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
Hmm... I see what you mean. It’ll be a close thing even at an angle. I’ll take you up on that bet, though. I’ll let you know when it comes in!

OP
OP
EnzoA

EnzoA

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... I see what you mean. It’ll be a close thing even at an angle. I’ll take you up on that bet, though. I’ll let you know when it comes in!
Sounds good! We're actually looking at renting something up in the Adirondacks later this Summer ahah

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
Sounds good! We're actually looking at renting something up in the Adirondacks later this Summer ahah
Cool. I can collect then. :LOL: And by then I should have some trails to show you if you’re up for it! Although, as of today we’d have to go to a place where we can order food as well as drinks... Cuomo is shutting down bars that don’t serve food...

Joe2020JT

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Made this bed partition/grocery holder/plywood-drywall holder in between zoom meetings today (it was at lunch time! in case my boss asks - he owns a JL).
Owner's Manual call for 2 2x4's but why go that route when you can use a 2x8 and trim 1/4" off of it. 

I may add holes and slots for bungee cords to tie smaller things down after figuring out what I use and need the most (only got the truck yesterday). 

If anybody wants to take some of the guessing game out, see below for measurements.
Cut one 2x8 at 57 5/8" in length. Cut the bottom corner (3/4" in, at 45 degrees - that'll allow the piece (and weight on top) to rest on the bottom of the bed, not the rounded corners.
Then the handles were made with a 2 ½” hole saw and a jig saw.
I then rounded everything over with a router and gave it all a quick sanding before painting.

For carrying sheet materials, you'll also need a 2x4 cut at 50" long. Laying flat, you will need to trim the corners coming in contact with the bed for the same reasons we cut them in the other piece.

This took me 45 min from start to finish (I even made a second set for a friend). I didn't use treated lumber as this is a quick fix for now and my bed cover is arriving later this week. It’ll do the job for now until I come up with a nicer and better design.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Partition / Grocery & Drywall Holder Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 3.55.54 PM
Thanks for the measurements and pics. Can’t wait to do this.
Sponsored