OP

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Are they fixing the scratches in the hood?
I buffed most of it out - but that truck is never going back to that dealer. they would probably deny they did it anyhow - I can guarantee it was not from anyone else though.
Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Not to hijack your thread and not a blown engine, but I had my brand new Gladiator (431 miles) an hour North of the dealership when it blew a transmission line. I wanted to keep the truck, but folks smarter than me said give it back and get a new one. I'm currently waiting on a 2021 Gladiator now. Did I make the right move by returning it?
50409552732_a4ac13ec60_z.jpg
Rubicon on flatbed by Phil Skigen, on Flickr
Not if you want Gobi paint, you didn’t.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
So here's the update - while the Jeep was having the engine replaced, I asked for them to change the steering box as well. Once the engine was complete the technician came back and said the issue with the steering was due to "lifted Jeep" - funny but I only have spacers in the rear - no lift in the front. I explained this to the dealer, and he said I could bring it back in to have the technician drive it again - my response was I really wasn't feeling much confidence in the technician's opinion since he thought there was a lift, and regardless the TSB has nothing to do with the technician's opinion. The service rep told me to have someone else do it then, and hung up on me. Insult to injury, they failed to put a cloth when having the hood resting on the windshield and scratched the paint on the hood. Then, I noticed a coolant leak - couldn't see where from, but coolant was all over the engine. ARGH!!!! BUT - I called the dealer I purchased it from, they have the steering box on order, and even are coming to pick up the Jeep to fix the coolant leak (hope it's just a loose hose connection). Big call-out to Meadowlands of Carmel NY - the purchase was one of the easiest I had made and now I'm blown away by their service. Unfortunately they are a bit of a drive - but I will never use my local dealership again. @JeepCares even reached out to me to help my situation - my faith in the process and the product are restored!!!
So...what/who is this wretched local dealership that NO ONE should ever use?

Every last lousy/moronic dealership should be called out for the world to see.

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
And that brings back the point that had me bothered.
To be clear, this is NOT about the original poster, he was repeating what the shop said and unless you are a mechanic, or at least inclined that way, you can't be expected to know otherwise.
This is about the shop - what they said. That REALLY bothers me - a lot.
That's shade-tree stuff - no, it's worse than that. Even the real shade tree guys I knew of years ago, the neighbor who pulled the engine out of his Charger using the oak tree in his back yard, he knew more (well, until he left shop rags in the cylinders and put the heads back on, that is - and sort of blew things up)

Anyway - a SHOP suggesting pistons out the side of the block? OUCH - maybe they are just learning English or something, but that is scary.
Do these people really know what they are talking about? Or was this a new service writer who has never really even seen an engine?
If a mechanic or service manager came to me and said "looks like a piston blown out the side of the block" or even similar words.......... I'd tell them to have it towed to a real shop.
These guys, if anything, should use terms that may make the vehicle owner shrug and not fully understand. But this was a case where the shop person obviously didn't understand.
So I'm slamming the shop - not the owner or posting member.

This is just another one of those things that makes me afraid to even deal with dealership shops.
It makes sense that I'd know more than most of the people working there - I've been at is since at least age 14 and have decades of professional experience, but some of these guys are just plain scary, IMO.
I guess I just expect too much from people, expect them to keep up and know what they are doing.
Sorry to burst your bubble but in 35 years of maintenance work in heavy duty diesel applications up to 4000 hp, I have personally seen no less than a dozen grenaded blocks with at least 1 and on 1 in particular, 3 pistons right through the block. Inertia and force from a disconnected rod allows a high revving engine to scatter parts. The worst instance I saw on a 3500 hp Cat engine actually separated the lower deck from the block. Also, a 220 ton haul truck with a Cummins engine once blew the entire guts of a turbo 20 feet out the exhaust, total distance travelled was 47 feet.

Any engine under the right conditions can spit out a variety of part numbers.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Little bit apples to oranges....diesel's have much higher cylinder pressures than gas engines, 10x+.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to burst your bubble but in 35 years of maintenance work in heavy duty diesel applications up to 4000 hp, I have personally seen no less than a dozen grenaded blocks with at least 1 and on 1 in particular, 3 pistons right through the block. Inertia and force from a disconnected rod allows a high revving engine to scatter parts. The worst instance I saw on a 3500 hp Cat engine actually separated the lower deck from the block. Also, a 220 ton haul truck with a Cummins engine once blew the entire guts of a turbo 20 feet out the exhaust, total distance travelled was 47 feet.

Any engine under the right conditions can spit out a variety of part numbers.
Who the xxxx is talking diesels?
Have you seen these engines internally? The space that doesn't exist for a piston to exit the side?
These aren't long stroke engines.
Gas engine pistons would never made it. They are cheap, thin, aluminum of no mass.
And yes, I've worked on tractors and so know the differences.
How about sticking with gas engines - the 3.6 in particular, the pressures and blocks and pistons used in gas.
My bubble remains unburst.

>> Little bit apples to oranges....diesel's have much higher cylinder pressures than gas engines, 10x+. <<

And these are naturally aspirated.

I've dealt with many blown gas engines........ for over 40 years. I've seen track "accidents" where heads blow, flywheels explode, and parts come out through pans. The pistons used in gas engines are light and fragile. You can damage one by dropping it.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
It is entirely possible to put a piston through the block of any gas engine built. It only requires the correct conditions to exist - like flooding a cylinder with coolant which cause a hydraulic lock, a bent/broken con rod and voila!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It would have to go near-sideways........... you are saying an aluminum piston will go through the side of a block that's several times more thick.
Plus you are talking about shoving aluminum through cast iron in engines built even a decade ago.
Not only that, the strokes on these is short meaning there's very little cylinder wall exposed at any given time.

Show me........... 45 years of experience with racing engines (talk about ABUSE and extreme conditions) and almost every other gas engine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll just put this out there........4.6 Ford............

CF612D84-F08F-4592-8011-D798A0D4A244.jpeg
Rod. That's right in line with the crankshaft.
That hole is a classic rod through block hole - I have seen that more than once.
The crank is in the way for the piston to get down that far in a V8, and frankly, if looking at the 4.0 engine I'm building below, you can see how it's a rod flung over and out making a hole about that size.
The piston doesn't even get near that area, it can't possibly (and it's aluminum and soft)
What breaks in hydro-lock - is the rod. You snap rods if you get water into the cylinder. I've seen that when people try to drive through water that's too deep - you take out rods, they bend, they break, and they run at angles and out the side they go.

The piston moves up and down, the rod if it breaks is actually going sideways 90%+ of the time and will go through the block as it's very solid and strong, like ramming a solid chunk of steel through that block.

Jeep Gladiator Blown engine under 12K miles eng-bottom-1

Look at the rod below, sort of a gold color. If that rod were to break, it's SWINGING left to right, not up and down, but swinging. The broken end either still on the crank, or being moved down by the piston, would go right through the block about where the Ford block in the prior post is busted out. That's absolutely rod damage.

The piston can't move down that far because the crank throws would shred it first.
In fact the pistons have notched out areas to clear the throws - and there's precious little space considering rod stretch and rod compression.

Jeep Gladiator Blown engine under 12K miles eagle-engine006

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase