Brake control install oops!

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well I did the, you know better but did it anyway stunt. I did not disconnect the battery. I was installing my Curt brake controller and after fighting with mounting the control module I had the factory pigtail installed and of course I hit the black power wire on a bolt and it popped fuse F36 - trailer tow electric brake mod. But it keeps popping the fuse when I put a new one in. I unplugged the adapter plug from the factory tow plug and the brake controller was never hooked up when all this happened.

Any ideas as to what I screwed up? Time for a trip to the dealership? Dang thing is I know better but was in a hurry and see where that got me.

Well thanks for any help and I'll take the lumps for my stupidity also.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Well I did the, you know better but did it anyway stunt. I did not disconnect the battery. I was installing my Curt brake controller and after fighting with mounting the control module I had the factory pigtail installed and of course I hit the black power wire on a bolt and it popped fuse F35 - trailer tow electric brake mod. But it keeps popping the fuse when I put a new one in. I unplugged the adapter plug from the factory tow plug and the brake controller was never hooked up when all this happened.

Any ideas as to what I screwed up? Time for a trip to the dealership? Dang thing is I know better but was in a hurry and see where that got me.

Well thanks for any help and I'll take the lumps for my stupidity also.
My first question would be what harness are you using to connect the factory plug to the Curt controller?

I'm planning to install a Curt controller this afternoon.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
The harness is Curt 51527.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The harness is Curt 51527.
That's the harness I ordered. I wasn't going to disconnect the battery for the install, so that changes my plans.

I would check the factory plug for damage. Shorting the wire may have melted some pins together. Removing the harness from the factory plug should stop the fuse from popping, unless something else upstream got fried.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Yes I disconnected the adapter from the factory plug and still popped a fuse, which by the way the fuses can not be found at local auto parts stores. These are smaller than the J case, these are M cases. So I have to wait until Monday to go by the dealership and see if they even carry them in stock.
I am going to unhook the battery and see if I can do a continuity test from fuse block to factory plug and see what I get. I just not sure if I can trace that wire that far as they do not always stay the same color wire thru the plugs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Did more checking. All of this is for the power wire from fuse block to factory plug under dash.

I checked continuity from fuse block to factory plug and it is good. Also checked for continuity from factory plug to ground and also from fuse block to ground, none.

Checked for continuity of factory plug power to the other terminals of the plug, none.

So I appear not to have any shorts or messed up plugs. So why am I blowing that power fuse?

Also I have now disconnected the power and negative cables and letting it sit for a bit, not sure if that will help but these electrical systems seem to act weird when it comes to these things.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well after checking everything over and going to 4 different parts stores I finally found some fuses. I put another fuse in all is well, fuse did not pop and controller works!