Redarc Brake Controller Install Location

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Make sure you mount it somewhere you can easily press it. If you run into a sway or downhill trailer pushing you situation you want to be able to quickly find and press the button to activate the brakes.
Sponsored

Georgia Jeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Insurance
I just wanted to give an update after getting my Redarc controller installed tonight. After much research I could never find where someone had drilled into the back panel like I wanted to do. I ended up taking a chance, and it worked out, but I thought I would share my experience to maybe help someone in the future. I thought the "box on the back of the panel would be completely hollow, but when I started drilling into it I realized it has reinforcing webbing inside. I ended up using a dremel and razer to cut the hole in the back of the box and clean the webbing out. I mounted the main box tucked up under so it would be out of the way of the switch. I used double sided adhesive along with zip ties for extra reassurance. It is not going anywhere. I think the finished product turned out well, and I can easily reach down and hit it if I need to manually apply the brakes.

20210101_191625_HDR.jpg

20210101_200710_HDR.jpg

20210101_204328_HDR.jpg

20210101_224632.jpg

Sponsored

greg8246

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I installed mine close to the 12v receptacle. I needed to keep the 12v receptacle for a trailer rearview camera. This install location allows me to easily see and adjust the dial. It also keeps it out of the way of my legs and knees. If anyone wants more details just let me know.

redarc.jpg

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I installed mine close to the 12v receptacle. I needed to keep the 12v receptacle for a trailer rearview camera. This install location allows me to easily see and adjust the dial. It also keeps it out of the way of my legs and knees. If anyone wants more details just let me know.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location redarc
I like it. Would it install in the lower right just as well?

greg8246

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I like it. Would it install in the lower right just as well?
I believe it would. Here is an image of the back of the panel showing what this looks like. You can see my hole and the additional plastic removel for clearance. The lower location would be where the red arrow is pointing. I used a dremel with a bit to remove just enough of the silver standing plastic so that the Redarc dial housing would fit. It looks like the lower location would actually require less trim work. I also considered this location initially, but remember that the driver has to look down to see the 12v receptacle. I felt that the view of the dial would be obscured with something plugged into the 12v receptacle, and that I might have to fumble around the wires in order reach the Redarc dial. I spent some time in the driveway looking and reaching to various potential installation locations to find what felt best for me. Plug something into the 12v receptacle and then simulate looking at and adjusting the dial - measure twice and cut once :)

Gladiator 12v Receptacle Back.png

Sponsored

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
This is a very convenient place to mount the control knob. You just have to remove the trim panel below the steering wheel and the Start/Stop and HVAC panel to gain access.
It is a natural reach while driving, and It preserves the 12V DC plug, for future use.

WARNING! WARNING!

Place the white drill template in desired position BEFORE removing the HVAC panel. The available space is deceiving after you remove the upper panel. That upper panel over laps the lower dash panel, instead of being a flush insert.
It could obstruct the control dial, if you drill the mounting hole too high.

Unfortunately there is nowhere convenient to mount the knob on the center console unless you have a manual transmission. Don’t waste your time tearing it apart. Linkage and brackets are in the way.
Here is where I mounted mine... View attachment 101191
0DE473A1-D057-4DAB-9542-B7D1DA9F5213.jpeg

ArloGuthroJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTRD
This is a very convenient place to mount the control knob. You just have to remove the trim panel below the steering wheel and the Start/Stop and HVAC panel to gain access.
It is a natural reach while driving, and It preserves the 12V DC plug, for future use.

WARNING! WARNING!

Place the white drill template in desired position BEFORE removing the HVAC panel. The available space is deceiving after you remove the upper panel. That upper panel over laps the lower dash panel, instead of being a flush insert.
It could obstruct the control dial, if you drill the mounting hole too high.
lol, wish I had seen this warning first: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...c-brake-controller-knob-install-almost.41106/

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Anyone have the issue that when the main button is pressed with no trailer installed that you get all sorts of error/fault lights on the dash?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have the issue that when the main button is pressed with no trailer installed that you get all sorts of error/fault lights on the dash?
There is a TSB for a flash to the ABS module to fix that. The dealer should know about it. The TSB number is in a few of the other brake controller threads.

It is TSB 08-102-20.
Sponsored