Redarc Brake Controller Install Location

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
There is a TSB for a flash to the ABS module to fix that. The dealer should know about it. The TSB number is in a few of the other brake controller threads.

It is TSB 08-102-20.
Cool. I'd assume I already have that if that was an update since mine is a 2021 and just bought it a month ago.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Cool. I'd assume I already have that if that was an update since mine is a 2021 and just bought it a month ago.
I would contact the brake controller manufacturer and ask them about it. I think the TSB is only for trucks built before January 2020.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
This was the best collection of locations I have seen so I thought I would add my pictures as well. ..... This was one of the easier panels I could replace so that is why I choose it.

dash 1.jpg

Dash 2.jpg

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Unfortunately there is nowhere convenient to mount the knob on the center console unless you have a manual transmission. Don’t waste your time tearing it apart. Linkage and brackets are in the way.
Here is where I mounted mine... View attachment 101191
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location Dash 2
This looks like the best spot, based on availability of other places. I want to keep my 12v, even though I don't use it. The videos have it mounted down on the edge of the panel, but I can't really see it there so I like this corner. Did you have to remove the panel to drill, or just drill and stick your hand up there to mount it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I would contact the brake controller manufacturer and ask them about it. I think the TSB is only for trucks built before January 2020.
Correct.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module Updates
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves reprogramming the ABS module with the latest available software.
MODELS:
2020 (JT) Jeep Gladiator
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: North
America.
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before January 08, 2020 (MDH 0108XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further
investigation the technician may find that one of the following Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has
been set:
• B1783-01 - Stop Lamp Control - General Electrical Failure.
The customer may also comment or note that the DTC set after the installation of a Mopar or an
aftermarket trailer brake controller.

Sponsored

Buck1ze

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This looks like the best spot, based on availability of other places. I want to keep my 12v, even though I don't use it. The videos have it mounted down on the edge of the panel, but I can't really see it there so I like this corner. Did you have to remove the panel to drill, or just drill and stick your hand up there to mount it?
Remove the climate control cluster to gain limited access. The panel is held in with plastic clips. Might want to use a trim tool to get the panel started.

I used the white plastic piece that came with the control knob as the template for placement. BEFORE removing the panel for drilling and mounting, locate the template in a position that does not overlap any of the removable clusters.

Make sure that the holes you drill are large enough for the led indicator and control stem to pass through the dash panel until flush. Otherwise it will be difficult to get the nut started and your brake button will not function properly.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
Just wanted to add in my experience installing the controller knob of my redarc tow pro elite 3. I liked the location next to the 12V outlet so it's in plain site and easily reachable with my right hand.

Below I used an oscillating multi tool to get a clean cut along the top and side and allowed me to prevent from cutting through the front with a small cutoff wheel.
I then used a dremel to smooth off the black clips.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 2021-05-01 17.19.06

I placed the sticker on the front exactly where I wanted it then punched a hole in the middle and used a step bit to get to size then finally finished it with the recommended size bit.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 2021-05-01 17.22.26

The module with the control knob fit like a glove and stayed clear of any other wires.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 2021-05-01 17.24.24

The finished product came out exactly as I had hoped! I have a radar detector plugged into the 12V outlet and the cap opens fine and still gives easy access to the brake controller knob.
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 2021-05-01 19.24.53

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Just wanted to add in my experience installing the controller knob of my redarc tow pro elite 3. I liked the location next to the 12V outlet so it's in plain site and easily reachable with my right hand.

Below I used an oscillating multi tool to get a clean cut along the top and side and allowed me to prevent from cutting through the front with a small cutoff wheel.
I then used a dremel to smooth off the black clips.

I placed the sticker on the front exactly where I wanted it then punched a hole in the middle and used a step bit to get to size then finally finished it with the recommended size bit.

The module with the control knob fit like a glove and stayed clear of any other wires.

The finished product came out exactly as I had hoped! I have a radar detector plugged into the 12V outlet and the cap opens fine and still gives easy access to the brake controller knob.
I like that position a lot, it sort of looks like it belongs. =oP But is super visible... I have an issue with the lower panel people use (that I was considering as well) in that it's out of my line of sight and I don't wan to have to go searching for it when i need it (which will probably be never.)

I keep backing away from your location because it seems like a PITA to pull that part of the dash off, but it's probably worth it. Did it take long? Did you need any special tools? Were the provided cables sufficient? (and do I really need a 10mm drill for that hole, or can I use a "freedom unit" sized drill?)

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I keep backing away from your location because it seems like a PITA to pull that part of the dash off, but it's probably worth it. Did it take long? Did you need any special tools? Were the provided cables sufficient? (and do I really need a 10mm drill for that hole, or can I use a "freedom unit" sized drill?)
Removing this part of the dash is really easy when you use some plastic trim tools like these.

The whole process probably took 2 hours but I was also installing the Automatic Window up/down module by 3W Liners at the same time since it's in the same part of the dash. Overall well worth the time to install the control knob and have a somewhat factory look.

The tools I used beyond the plastic trim tools were an Oscillating multi-tool, and a rotary tool like a dremel. The drill bit that is supposed to be used for the control knob is 10mm or 25/64" of which I already had, I did used a step bit to make sure the hole stayed centered and then finished with the 25/64 bit but you are probably fine just using the step bit as the hole is not visible. Just don't go too big so the nut won't tighten.

The supplied cables do you not get you a finished product, I purchased 2 different cables that allowed me to hook up to the factory brake controller wiring. The Tekonsha 3073-P that plugs directly into the Jeep factory plug, and then the Tekonsha TPH-017 that plugs into the Recard control module and then into the 3073-P plug. The plug that comes with the kit that plugs into the redarc module only has 4 bare wires and I didn't want to mess with connecting bare wires so I spent the extra $20 to get the adapter for both sides.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Removing this part of the dash is really easy when you use some plastic trim tools like these.

The whole process probably took 2 hours but I was also installing the Automatic Window up/down module by 3W Liners at the same time since it's in the same part of the dash. Overall well worth the time to install the control knob and have a somewhat factory look.

The tools I used beyond the plastic trim tools were an Oscillating multi-tool, and a rotary tool like a dremel. The drill bit that is supposed to be used for the control knob is 10mm or 25/64" of which I already had, I did used a step bit to make sure the hole stayed centered and then finished with the 25/64 bit but you are probably fine just using the step bit as the hole is not visible. Just don't go too big so the nut won't tighten.

The supplied cables do you not get you a finished product, I purchased 2 different cables that allowed me to hook up to the factory brake controller wiring. The Tekonsha 3073-P that plugs directly into the Jeep factory plug, and then the Tekonsha TPH-017 that plugs into the Recard control module and then into the 3073-P plug. The plug that comes with the kit that plugs into the redarc module only has 4 bare wires and I didn't want to mess with connecting bare wires so I spent the extra $20 to get the adapter for both sides.
I have all the tools I need (except a 10mm aka 25/64" bit) so that's not a problem, I'll try it with a step bit and see how it works out. I got the Tow Pro Elite and the Ram harness which I swapped the cables on so it works for Gladiator. I'll compare it to the Tekonsha stuff. Thanks!

(unfortunately i now have to go get that window up/down harness as well)

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I have all the tools I need (except a 10mm aka 25/64" bit) so that's not a problem, I'll try it with a step bit and see how it works out. I got the Tow Pro Elite and the Ram harness which I swapped the cables on so it works for Gladiator. I'll compare it to the Tekonsha stuff. Thanks!

(unfortunately i now have to go get that window up/down harness as well)
Just buy the exact right bit for this. I felt dumb paying as much as I did for a hole saw bit, but I know I would have not gotten it as clean if I had done it any other way

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Just buy the exact right bit for this. I felt dumb paying as much as I did for a hole saw bit, but I know I would have not gotten it as clean if I had done it any other way
Oh don't worry, I would never pass up the chance to fill my toolbox with more tools.

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the location my brake controller will be. This was more work than what it’s worth, but I was up for the challenge and anal on a factory looking setup. It is mounted sideways (led is to the right), hopefully shouldn’t be an issue. A late night test does seem promising that it will fit fine.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location A167C69E-C5C5-4EB1-B81C-E07900B7A52A

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location AFF4C2CD-AA54-4CC8-B500-4A199AE4CC95
Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 30F9FAAB-BDB4-4A92-AEE2-EEEF732047F9

Last edited:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Here is the location my brake controller will be. This was more work than what it’s worth, but I was up for the challenge and anal on a factory looking setup. It is mounted sideways (led is to the right), hopefully shouldn’t be an issue. A late night test does seem promising that it will fit fine.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 30F9FAAB-BDB4-4A92-AEE2-EEEF732047F9

That looks good and honestly is a very usable location as well.

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Following up with proof that it can be done! Only caveat is the supplied cat6 Ethernet cable does not allow for the head unit to install in that location. I bought a monoprice slimrun cable, and that gave me room and flexibility to fit the cable. I am not sure if there will be interference to the main unit, but if I push the button on the remote head, the blue led lights up. I don’t have a trailer yet to test if this cable will cause issues. I would like to think it won’t.

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 9D0A7C0F-5606-46AA-833D-48F0C46FED29
Sponsored

Last edited: