First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I just bought a tow pro elite with TPH-001 harness.......is that all I need for the install?? It is a bit confusing as to which one I'll need.
Thanks
I used TPH-020 and switched the blue & black wires.

there’s one other optional item you can get and that’s the mounting panel. I didn’t use it.

the best installation video to watch is etrailers:
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a tow pro elite with TPH-001 harness.......is that all I need for the install?? It is a bit confusing as to which one I'll need.
Thanks
When was your Gladiator built?

If in 2019 take it to your dealer and have them perform the ABS TSB.
If in 2020 you can simply install it with the Jeep harness.
Using the 020 harness is a bandaid to cover the ABS issue - it has a diode in it.

IMO, ANYONE using ANY brake controller that gives this issue should simply visit their dealer for the FREE, covered under warranty, ABS flash to fix the underlying trouble.
Why should we mess with diodes and a special harness now that Jeep has a fix for it?
IF they perform the TSB and flash the system, then you can use any 3rd party controller OR the MOPAR controller without issue. No special harness or diode needed.
And you could even later swap controllers for another - and not worry about the harness.
IMO, get it fixed right - by the dealer.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech

Using the 020 harness is a bandaid to cover the ABS issue - it has a diode in it.

IMO, ANYONE using ANY brake controller that gives this issue should simply visit their dealer for the FREE, covered under warranty, ABS flash to fix the underlying trouble.
Why should we mess with diodes and a special harness now that Jeep has a fix for it?
IF they perform the TSB and flash the system, then you can use any 3rd party controller OR the MOPAR controller without issue. No special harness or diode needed.
And you could even later swap controllers for another - and not worry about the harness.
I have a 21 ecodiesel sport S with tow package............hi stress with these brake controllers it seems!

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entrepreneur

i have the '21 ecodiesel. I appreciate your comment above but i don't quite understand how I would connect the redarc brake controller to the jeep harness without a wire that has the correct adapters. Which wire are you referring to?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Redarc comes with a pigtail only so u also need to buy the "harness" for the jeep. No need for a special one with a diode and no need for the ram harness and wire swapping with any 2021 jt.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

If I already have a redarc and the diode cable is there any reason to go now for this TSB, vs spring when I get my next oil change? Just want to make sure I am not missing out on anything saftey in the ABS system

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If I already have a redarc and the diode cable is there any reason to go now for this TSB, vs spring when I get my next oil change? Just want to make sure I am not missing out on anything saftey in the ABS system
I'd wait. They allow 0.3 hours on the TSB - so Jeep is saying it should take that little time, but as a former tech/mechanic myself, yeah, it's simple but still, that's pretty chincy on time considering they do have to do certain things like put tools away, complete the paperwork and such. Even for a simple thing like this I think Jeep should allow at least .5 hours.
Your truck isn't going to crash or fail you and if you have the cable with the diode, it won't even screw with your display or turn anything off, but I'd do it on matter of principal next normal visit. Your ABS code will be current, it will match other build date Gladiators and if you ever decide to change trailer brake controllers or whatever, it will just simplify thing.

But the short of it is - you ask if there was a reason for doing it now?
Not that I can see.
I could have waited but then I'm a curious type, wanting to try things, experiment, and I wanted to know if this REALLY worked as I haven't seen anyone else having the bulletin done on theirs.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I'd wait. They allow 0.3 hours on the TSB - so Jeep is saying it should take that little time, but as a former tech/mechanic myself, yeah, it's simple but still, that's pretty chincy on time considering they do have to do certain things like put tools away, complete the paperwork and such. Even for a simple thing like this I think Jeep should allow at least .5 hours.
Your truck isn't going to crash or fail you and if you have the cable with the diode, it won't even screw with your display or turn anything off, but I'd do it on matter of principal next normal visit. Your ABS code will be current, it will match other build date Gladiators and if you ever decide to change trailer brake controllers or whatever, it will just simplify thing.

But the short of it is - you ask if there was a reason for doing it now?
Not that I can see.
I could have waited but then I'm a curious type, wanting to try things, experiment, and I wanted to know if this REALLY worked as I haven't seen anyone else having the bulletin done on theirs.
Thanks thats good to know I can wait. No reason not to get it done eventually. But since I drilled into the dash the redarc is not going anywhere.

Georgia Jeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Insurance
I have a Redarc controller ordered, and I'm trying to decide where to mount the knob. Has anyone drilled through the thick part of the lower steering wheel panel? Would that be a bad idea?

20201227_130247_HDR.jpg

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I have a Redarc controller ordered, and I'm trying to decide where to mount the knob. Has anyone drilled through the thick part of the lower steering wheel panel? Would that be a bad idea?

Jeep Gladiator Redarc Brake Controller Install Location 20201227_130247_HDR
bad idea. it's too thick an area for the brake controller knob (unless you bore out a large area on the back sie).

The instructions specify the maximum thickness - which is basically the thickness of the thin area.

Sponsored

Georgia Jeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Insurance
bad idea. it's too thick an area for the brake controller knob (unless you bore out a large area on the back sie).

The instructions specify the maximum thickness - which is basically the thickness of the thin area.
I wonder if that area is hollow? If it is hollow, I could make a bigger hole in the back part so that the controller body could fit through it. I just don't want to screw that panel up.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if that area is hollow? If it is hollow, I could make a bigger hole in the back part so that the controller body could fit through it. I just don't want to screw that panel up.
If you want to use that panel for the controller knob then you must mount the controller BOX more the way I did than what anyone else did - otherwise you'll have a beeg problem.
If you mount the box like others have, you have to trim those tabs off the panel you show. If you mount it like I did - there's space. You likely should not only follow what others have said about thickness, but also use clay or similar to put on the back of that panel, put the panel back in place, pull it off again and see if you even have the depth for the controller knob!

Also note there are two Redarc controllers - which did you buy? The $200 one or the $130-something controller?

Here's how I mounted my controller "box" when I used the Redarc in my JT (I have since removed it and will put it in my wife's Grand Cherokee)

Here's a link to my post and pictures of how I mounted the "box" - if you do like others did with it straight up behind that panel, you'll have to cut the parts off the back of that panel. The way I did it, no trimming needed (and left the space behind that panel open)

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...redarc-install-in-jt.34579/page-3#post-567000

With the JTs made in 2020 and the 2021 model year, you can ignore the need for the Ram harness! NO special harness and no diode is needed!
And if you have a JT made in 2019 take it to the dealership for the TSB fix for brake controllers.

Georgia Jeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Insurance
If you want to use that panel for the controller knob then you must mount the controller BOX more the way I did than what anyone else did - otherwise you'll have a beeg problem.
If you mount the box like others have, you have to trim those tabs off the panel you show. If you mount it like I did - there's space. You likely should not only follow what others have said about thickness, but also use clay or similar to put on the back of that panel, put the panel back in place, pull it off again and see if you even have the depth for the controller knob!

Also note there are two Redarc controllers - which did you buy? The $200 one or the $130-something controller?

Here's how I mounted my controller "box" when I used the Redarc in my JT (I have since removed it and will put it in my wife's Grand Cherokee)

Here's a link to my post and pictures of how I mounted the "box" - if you do like others did with it straight up behind that panel, you'll have to cut the parts off the back of that panel. The way I did it, no trimming needed (and left the space behind that panel open)

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...redarc-install-in-jt.34579/page-3#post-567000

With the JTs made in 2020 and the 2021 model year, you can ignore the need for the Ram harness! NO special harness and no diode is needed!
And if you have a JT made in 2019 take it to the dealership for the TSB fix for brake controllers.
Thank you for the helpful info! I have a 2021 Gladiator so I ordered the harness that is completely plug and play without the diode. I also ordered the $130 Tow Pro Liberty because I did not see me needing the offroad ability of the Elite. The hardest part of this whole process is going to be figuring out where to put the knob. I like the way you mounted the box so that you don't have to trim those pieces off. I really want to try and get the knob mounted on that panel because I don't want to put it in the factory location.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the helpful info! I have a 2021 Gladiator so I ordered the harness that is completely plug and play without the diode. I also ordered the $130 Tow Pro Liberty because I did not see me needing the offroad ability of the Elite. The hardest part of this whole process is going to be figuring out where to put the knob. I like the way you mounted the box so that you don't have to trim those pieces off. I really want to try and get the knob mounted on that panel because I don't want to put it in the factory location.
Hey, that's cool. It's your truck, and there's quite a few here who want to maintain the 12 volt outlet.
And I agree on the Tow Pro Liberty - there are times I wish I had saved 80-90 bucks and ordered the Liberty especially now that I have the MOPAR controller and the Redarc is going into my wife's Jeep. Oh, well - hind-sight.
Do watch the thickness of where you put that control knob though - there's a limit and you don't want to make a hole and find - oops, too thick. Maybe use some big caliper or find a member who knows just how thick each part of that panel is.
In other words - learn from our mistakes! ;-)

Georgia Jeeper

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Insurance
Hey, that's cool. It's your truck, and there's quite a few here who want to maintain the 12 volt outlet.
And I agree on the Tow Pro Liberty - there are times I wish I had saved 80-90 bucks and ordered the Liberty especially now that I have the MOPAR controller and the Redarc is going into my wife's Jeep. Oh, well - hind-sight.
Do watch the thickness of where you put that control knob though - there's a limit and you don't want to make a hole and find - oops, too thick. Maybe use some big caliper or find a member who knows just how thick each part of that panel is.
In other words - learn from our mistakes! ;-)
Thank you! Learning from other's mistakes is definitely the goal. I have already found a website that sells that panel in case I screw it up beyond repair. It would be a $41 mistake, but it could be a lot worse I suppose.
Sponsored