Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '93 Landcruiser, '77 CJ, '88 Bronco
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Your craftsmanship is truly over the top ... I do have one question ... how did you address the flex between the `bed and cab?
I get more questions about this than anything else. My long thread goes into this in more detail. Bottom line is Gladiators have a more rigid frame and increased articulation of suspension, resulting in much less flex than typical pickups. The camper floats on rubber connection points.
Sponsored

Fast Eddie

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2021/Toyota 4 Runner 2013
Occupation
Small Business Owner
My goodness, the build is nothing short of SUPERB. You are one skilled machine. Congrats and best of luck with the new toy. Cheers!!!

SquirrelNuts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
This build makes me really want Jeep to build a Wrangler XL with 3rd row seating! (I know there's a concept vehicle out there with a 3rd row... but hate the safari hard top/tiered seating.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I missed something, when did you say they would be available for purchase?
Great work!!
Thanks! First comes my exhaustive product testing program, at least a year of road testing (4 wheeling, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, skiing, cold beverages, good food and camping). For some reason my wife doesn't understand the amount of testing required to bring a product to market these days :)

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7705.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7648.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7660.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7659 2.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7473.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7434.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_7074

Last edited:

Dave-G

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor- 911- past 89yj- 2000 4 door TCV TJ
This build makes me really want Jeep to build a Wrangler XL with 3rd row seating! (I know there's a concept vehicle out there with a 3rd row... but hate the safari hard top/tiered seating.)
I had a 3rd row jeep in 2000- got a lot of looks- was built by TCV so sorry I sold it.

But this camper build is beautiful. You have a crazy skill set and a lot of time to build.

IMAG0521.jpg

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
That! Is very impressive! Awesome job!

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I get more questions about this than anything else. My long thread goes into this in more detail. Bottom line is Gladiators have a more rigid frame and increased articulation of suspension, resulting in much less flex than typical pickups. The camper floats on rubber connection points.
Once our snow clears I will take a photo of why so many folks are asking about this. I have a rubi. Diesel and the gap grows about 1/2”+ when flexed corner to corner…..

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Once our snow clears I will take a photo of why so many folks are asking about this. I have a rubi. Diesel and the gap grows about 1/2”+ when flexed corner to corner…..
Before I built the camper I did a flex test. I disconnected my sway bars and maxed out my suspension. I then measured the distance from the back window to the bed rail (see picture)

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_4827 2.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_4828.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_4830.JPG
Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_4829.JPG
. There was 3/8" flex between the cab and bed. In my design I allowed for 1/2" flex between the cab and bed.

The flex is difficult to measure now since the camper is on, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting less than 1/4" of flex when suspension is maxed out. How is this possible? Well the camper adds more strength than you think and stiffens the entire structure.

If she flexes more than 1/2", I have (2) shear points that should give way. Instead of cracking the entire shell, these shear points should break, which I could easily repair. We (engineers) use shear pins, shear bolts, or break away tabs in design quite often. It's a whole lot cheaper to replace/repair a shear point, than break your entire project. So far, they haven't cracked or broken.

OP
OP
Mules

Mules

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Merry Christmas! Here's a pic of a favorite location, near Winter Park CO.

Jeep Gladiator Build Thread - Mules Fiberglass Gladiator Camper DIY IMG_3200.JPG