Sponsored

Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s?

Phred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Gladiator Rubicon
Lotta BS in this thread...all opinion and conjecture with the exception of one guy who has actual time on the 37s And several others who say to use common sense.

One other guy says “Significantly more stress”? Based on what I have no idea...and either does he I’m sure.

It comes down to what you want to do...you won’t find right answers here until you get some people out there wheeling with 37s on a JT and can gather real data.

Id follow the ones above who have done it and ones who say to use common sense. If you don’t want the risk...don’t do it, easy as that. Or maybe wait until there is much more concrete evidence.

Me? I have 37s, a belly pan, loads of protection and will be heading to Rausch Creek in a few weeks. I’ll let ya know if I break it. You’ll be able to add me to the data pile.

:)
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The lack of AXLE upgrade choice has caused me to look to other brands. As capable as the JT is, I cannot justify the Rube because of the open diffs when not locked and the added bells and whistles. The lower trim levels only offer trac- loc rear (with another open diff in the front-gag) which I had in the YJ and will not use again. My ideal axle set up would be a Dana 44 with Eaton Tru-Trac and the aftermarket offerings are the only expensive choice. Sorry Jeep, you have lost me.
Your reasoning makes no sense to me. Have you even driven a modern Jeep off road?

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? D425C8CD-0E61-4CAF-9C6D-F9E89535E4E9

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 249AD148-F72B-481D-8C25-414639235FCC

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 553F810D-AADF-483E-A199-A66CB09EA363

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? E1E64D5C-BF7E-4480-A64F-F7D22D7EA793

Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 0072B0AA-8E0C-4EE3-A681-96A337F30527

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
My reasoning is easy-I want both rear wheels powered on and off road with a torque split depending on traction and the front wheels doing the same in 4WD. Torsen or Eaton diffs look to be the answer. Ridden in many Jeeps and others of various builds and I like the geared differential characteristics some offer in otherwise stock axle installs. Cheers.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Depends on what you mean by off road - what sort of obstacles (if any), or just a tame dirt trail with some small rocks. In any case, I'd guess that regardless of trim level or axle gear ratio, as long as you're in 4 low you should be just fine with 37s in most terrain. Long wheel base might get you but if it this is your first time out, I'd suggest start with less technical trails to get familiar with your JT's capabilities, and work your way up. Also, for first time out, strongly suggest don't go out alone and have the other person be in another rig, not your own. Consider how far off road you're going too - if you get stuck you might be able to walk a mile back for help but 6 miles is another matter.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My reasoning is easy-I want both rear wheels powered on and off road with a torque split depending on traction and the front wheels doing the same in 4WD. Torsen or Eaton diffs look to be the answer. Ridden in many Jeeps and others of various builds and I like the geared differential characteristics some offer in otherwise stock axle installs. Cheers.
Have you driven one since 2007, when Jeep implemented traction control (aka Brake Lock Differential)? It’s much better than the old Trac Lock crap. In fact, if you’re ever in snow/ice (on road), I would argue that it is much better than any other option available. If you haven’t driven a modern Jeep off road, your opinion is less than educated.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to go off roading for the first time since adding the Mopar lift and 37s. I have a Sport S with max tow, so the wider axels. I've read posts ranging from "stock axels with 37s will explode the instant you drive off pavement" (maybe slight exaggeration :)) to "I have stock axels and 37s and off road all the time." I have never seen the former group substantiate their claims, but have seen many from the latter group substantiate their posts with pics.

So, to give me confidence that my stock axels will not turn to shrapnel the instant my tires leave pavement, I'd appreciate seeing posts from people who off road with stock axels and 37s without problems. Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 0072B0AA-8E0C-4EE3-A681-96A337F30527
Yes, and do so without fear just a little common sense.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
The lack of AXLE upgrade choice has caused me to look to other brands. As capable as the JT is, I cannot justify the Rube because of the open diffs when not locked and the added bells and whistles. The lower trim levels only offer trac- loc rear (with another open diff in the front-gag) which I had in the YJ and will not use again. My ideal axle set up would be a Dana 44 with Eaton Tru-Trac and the aftermarket offerings are the only expensive choice. Sorry Jeep, you have lost me.
OK, so "Jeep lost you." Why are you even here? Not on this forum (well, I do wonder) but why are you even posting in this thread?

@Renegade pretty much hits the nail on the head...

Have you driven one since 2007, when Jeep implemented traction control (aka Brake Lock Differential)? It’s much better than the old Trac Lock crap. In fact, if you’re ever in snow/ice (on road), I would argue that it is much better than any other option available. If you haven’t driven a modern Jeep off road, your opinion is less than educated.
--------------------

Lotta BS in this thread...all opinion and conjecture with the exception of one guy who has actual time on the 37s And several others who say to use common sense.

One other guy says “Significantly more stress”? Based on what I have no idea...and either does he I’m sure.

It comes down to what you want to do...you won’t find right answers here until you get some people out there wheeling with 37s on a JT and can gather real data.

Id follow the ones above who have done it and ones who say to use common sense. If you don’t want the risk...don’t do it, easy as that. Or maybe wait until there is much more concrete evidence.

Me? I have 37s, a belly pan, loads of protection and will be heading to Rausch Creek in a few weeks. I’ll let ya know if I break it. You’ll be able to add me to the data pile.

:)
Yes, "lotta BS in this thread."

To the OP, it's a Jeep. Go wheel it. You won't be the first with "stock axles" and 37's and you won't be the last. Go wheel it and see if you can keep from smiling (and maybe puckering a bit).

I've got 37's on my Gladiator and I wheel it. My concern is the best way up and over (or down) an obstacle - what line am I going to take.

To anyone spending time worrying about breaking their Jeep wheeling you might want to ride with another Jeep owner to experience the thrill instead of driving your own.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Dudes, I was wheeling at the mall yesterday and some dork had the nerve to park me in! Completely blocked me from backing up even if I used the trail camera! Well, I showed him. I put it in 4L and drove right over the median strip! That’s like a 3% grade my friends, really! There was this little bush and it tried to scratch my tire, but I used high gloss Armor All and it came right out, whew! This is what these beasts are made for!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Dudes, I was wheeling at the mall yesterday and some dork had the nerve to park me in! Completely blocked me from backing up even if I used the trail camera! Well, I showed him. I put it in 4L and drove right over the median strip! That’s like a 3% grade my friends, really! There was this little bush and it tried to scratch my tire, but I used high gloss Armor All and it came right out, whew! This is what these beasts are made for!

How long did it take you to work up the courage to do that? Did you take it to the dealer afterwards to inspect for unseen breakage?

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Man, I was sweating, plus getting it into 4L was really hard. I had to use two hands and I hurt my finger! That’s got to be a poor Jeep design. I did take it to the dealer afterwards. The receptionist told me I scuffed a tire! She was pretty brutal about calling it out, like didn’t even hesitate. I’ll be watching that tire, might need to replace it if the scuff doesn’t fade over time. Thanks for your concern!

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Man, I was sweating, plus getting it into 4L was really hard. I had to use two hands and I hurt my finger! That’s got to be a poor Jeep design. I did take it to the dealer afterwards. The receptionist told me I scuffed a tire! She was pretty brutal about calling it out, like didn’t even hesitate. I’ll be watching that tire, might need to replace it if the scuff doesn’t fade over time. Thanks for your concern!
You better check underneath to make sure no blades of grass got stuck anywhere... that can cause uneven wear on the muffler bearings. Also make sure to do a thorough flush and filter change on your blinker fluid...

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Question: Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s?
Answer: Yes.
/thread

OP
OP
jtforrester

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Pushing 10yrs old.

4” lift - 37s - 4.88s

No truss, no sleeves, no gussets

Still have the stock from axle shafts too.

And that’s 2nd gen D44s. These 3rd Gens are nearly D60s in some ways. I run 37s on my JTR and don’t plan on adding anything but gears.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

I attended the Jeep Adventure Academy at SMORR in Seymour, Missouri, over the weekend and did some trails I wouldn't have attempted before attending the event. I went back to SMORR the next day and did some more challenging trails and my Gladiator did fine--no broken axles!

I did find out, however, that 37s with the 2" Mopar lift with the say bar disconnected on a Sport S will absolutely rub the fenders (max tow, 17x9 wheels with -6mm offset, 37x12 BFG KO2s). Mine rubbed countless times over the weekend. Time for new fenders...

Some vids from my weekend at SMORR.

Cold Mountain, the fun part starts at about the 10:00 minute mark.

Get Ya Some, the fun starts about one minute in.

Appaloosa
The drop was much more intense in real life than in the video.

JonRJackson

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I’m on 3.5” lift with 37” nitto ridge grapplers and have had zero trouble offroad. I did regear a bit ago to 513s. But also ran the stock 410s for several trips.

480E1545-C5BB-4E56-AFAA-CDEBBCD5E1E1.jpeg

03A4B55D-C404-4B4F-ABEC-B459266F4D7A.jpeg

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to go off roading for the first time since adding the Mopar lift and 37s. I have a Sport S with max tow, so the wider axels. I've read posts ranging from "stock axels with 37s will explode the instant you drive off pavement" (maybe slight exaggeration :)) to "I have stock axels and 37s and off road all the time." I have never seen the former group substantiate their claims, but have seen many from the latter group substantiate their posts with pics.

So, to give me confidence that my stock axels will not turn to shrapnel the instant my tires leave pavement, I'd appreciate seeing posts from people who off road with stock axels and 37s without problems. Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Jeep Gladiator Can I Go Off Road With Stock Axels And 37s? 03A4B55D-C404-4B4F-ABEC-B459266F4D7A
It is trail rated, it is a Jeep. It comes from the factory able to go off road.
Sponsored