Sponsored

Why do owners never take doors/tops off or go off-road?

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
They look F'n cool?

How many guys buy corvettes and never take them on a track? MOST. lol
For one, considering you said, “DC area,” consider the utility of having something truck-like when you need it or want it, but also consider the size of the parking spaces and parking garage heights in the area. Granted, a lifted Jeep (any model) will challenge some garage clearances in the DC area, but it’s far easier to park in lots or parallels in this area with a Jeep than with my old Ram 1500 and F-150 trucks. I sold the F-150 in 2018 and ordered a JLU because I didn’t want to wait for the Gladiator. Sold that JLU a week before my Gladiator arrived last month. For me, downsizing made sense for several reasons—parking was one, being done with large projects for the foreseeable future was another, and maintaining utility for camping trips, vacation road-trips, working on my property in Maine, and general chores that need a bed. I have a dual top group, just like the JL did, but when I sold the JL I kept the softtop for the wife’s JL. I do take the doors off, and the top too. Ran all summer that way in the JL. Will do the same with the Gladiator. So, if you see my Rubicon JT driving around, throw a wave my way.

Jeep Gladiator Why do owners never take doors/tops off or go off-road? E8926B74-5905-4D43-9785-882E1F6F9FD8
Sponsored

Last edited:

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I guess I’m one of those wierdos, can count on one hand how many times I have taken the top panels out, never had the doors off. I don’t like the sun on my head & I like my AC, so sue me lol.
HOWEVER, I use 4WD nearly every time I go up the mountain to my house :captain:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t take my doors off because I don’t have a garage to store them. I’ve taken the top off a few times. I don’t off road because I’m ocd and don’t like scratches on my 50k vehicle. I bought my gladiator for the cool factor/ different factor
When we were leaving my wife's cousin's 4th get-together last night, as I was getting in my truck, one of her 2nd or 3rd or whatever cousins commented "I wondered whose truck that was, really nice, cool, I like it".
He's about 30, his name is Hunter, his parents live in a log cabin in some woods, very avid hunters and into fishing, traveling for hunting other non-Iowa game, etc. - very "outdoorsmen" family. So coming from him, it meant more than coming from a few others who just like blue trucks.

Yeah, the cool factor is definitely there. Different, too. But then I have driven AMC vehicles and Jeeps most of my life, so I guess I like "different". I had a Javelin while friends had Camaros, Mustangs, Road Runners, Chargers, etc. It was the only non-Big 3 in the high school parking lot

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I’m one of those wierdos, can count on one hand how many times I have taken the top panels out, never had the doors off. I don’t like the sun on my head & I like my AC, so sue me lol.
HOWEVER, I use 4WD nearly every time I go up the mountain to my house :captain:
I showed pics of my truck with the top off - and with just the panels out. He said "be sure to wear protection". I commented on yeah, I know, my hair is thin. I normally only saw him with a hat on - so he sent me a photo to go with the comments he made - he's got some free space up there besides a thin crop. So after seeing the pic - I understood - ok, a hat, a spiderweb shade, or smear sun block into my hair and on my scalp.
My wife loves the AC in these Jeeps so she wants top on, windows up, wind NOT in her hair (which she's PICKY about as she's gotten older)
We used to drive her Camaro with the T-top panels out and secured in the back so I guess things change.

Sponsored

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Winter is what is all about for me. When I say winter that could be from September until June. It even snowed here on the 4th of July one year. In bad weather I often have to snowshoe or hike a mile to my house. Pulled our last suv out about 4 times last year. If I can save walking a few times this winter I’ll be pleased. I know for most people on here the thrill of a Jeep is to go to some exotic local that only a handful of people have seen or touched. For me it is just going home. Not saying that I haven’t been exploring some back trails, just different priorities.

EJWF11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I live in (more so around, in epitome suburbia) and am from DC.

1) On purchasing Rubicons; People buy what they want, a lot of the times what they can’t necessarily afford. So what, to each their own.

2)On not taking top off; people do as they please with that which is theirs.

3) On people in DC; 85% of the people in the DC area ARE NOT FROM DC. Most are transplants from the 95 corridor, mostly NE. Folks from these areas are particularly staunch about the ‘what’s it to you, leave me alone!’ mindset.

4) DC-This is not the mid-west, and there is NOT a lot of open country. It’s just how it is… unfortunately. 😞 So most of the time, curbs it is.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
One of the roads leading to my place...
I live on the right side of the foothill on the right side above the two ducks on dash. ;)
Jeep Gladiator Why do owners never take doors/tops off or go off-road? IMG_20210715_171207

So "going Off-Road" can be it's been raining for some of us. I live in a National Forrest.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
These are all photos right around my house. The open terrain gives you an idea why I thought the Mojave was my best choice. The drift is right behind my house and no amount of lockers will ever get through that.

3D3257A8-62BF-45DA-B86F-0358E1F40612.jpeg

F7DA5D7B-1F13-44C4-AB51-253372F14EAF.jpeg

A33A4CF2-F22D-47FD-9FBF-30913DD2739C.jpeg

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Same reason people buy sports cars and never go over the speed limit. They're boring.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
If I lived somewhere where it didn’t feel like someone’s gooch outside in the summer, I’d probably never have the doors on. I take the front tops off here and there, and I probably will more often in the fall.
Sponsored