Sponsored

Can you swap Rubicon shocks and springs onto a Sport without doing the lower control arms, etc?

Jstrick

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Hi All - I am sure this was probably addressed at some point. I tried to search around the threads but couldn't find an answer to this specific question. Can you swap Rubicon shocks and springs onto a sport without doing the lower control arms, etc. If the answer to this is yes, my second question is if I add a leveling kit to it as well, i know at that point its a good idea to do longer control arms and what not, but is it something that has to be done.

I had purchased a set of rubicon take off tires for my Willys, and the guy threw in some springs and shocks and I was considering putting them on my girlfriends gladiator. I just want to to know exactly what I am getting into. She has just a sport.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Short answer is yes no issue swapping and yes you can level it. Lots of people do this as all the trims share the same control arms.

Personal i would still spend the ~$60 bucks to put on the Mopar lift lower control arms though to get more caster.

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
For reference, I have a Willys. I installed Rubicon shocks, 2.5” front leveling spacers, front shock extensions, and a 3/4” rear spacer. I also installed the longer front sway bar links that came with the kit. I did not install the Rubicon springs however as I kept stock Willys springs as it was my personal preference. I did not need to install longer front control arms. I knew going in that I might install the longer front control arms but after driving my truck for a period of time I was happy with how it handled and tracked down the road. Others with similar kits have installed the front lower control arms. I just didn’t feel the need.

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Yes you will be fine without new arms. However, why is a leveling kit "something that has to be done"? That makes no sense as there is nothing that you are doing that requires it. Trucks and cars all have rake from factory for a reason, so it does not "have to be done" but sounds more like something you WANT done. Am I correct?

OP
OP
Jstrick

Jstrick

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you will be fine without new arms. However, why is a leveling kit "something that has to be done"? That makes no sense as there is nothing that you are doing that requires it. Trucks and cars all have rake from factory for a reason, so it does not "have to be done" but sounds more like something you WANT done. Am I correct?
Its definitely not something that has to be done. I prefer the look of it over the rake. And once I had mine on, now she wants it for hers too. Just my opinion that it looks much better.

Sponsored

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
Its definitely not something that has to be done. I prefer the look of it over the rake. And once I had mine on, now she wants it for hers too. Just my opinion that it looks much better.
Fair. Just the wording had me lol.

OP
OP
Jstrick

Jstrick

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fair. Just the wording had me lol.

I Was asking if the longer control arms HAVE to be done if I add the leveling kit as well, not if the leveling kit had to be done.....I re read that and realized what you meant, lol.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got them on my Max Tow sport and no you don't need to swap the lower control arms. The lower control arms on a Rubicon are the same size as all the other trims, they just have a extra 3/4 to 1 inch of lift depending on if you get the steel bumpers on the Rubicon or no steel bumpers. You don't really need to mess with the control arms until you get into being over 2" of lift.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
I have a Sport and added Rubi shocks , spring and 1 " spacer in front got almost 2 " of lift in front , still have .5 " of rake and have .75" spacer for rear if feel it needs it.

To answer your question no they are not needed. Good assumption is anything under 2" of lift and you will be fine and that could equate to 3" of lift on sport
Sponsored