First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Radio "ham" is not an acronym so no need to put it in all caps.

If you're looking to use it to communicate with other jeepers on a trail run, there won't be many to talk to. CB may be dead according to some but it's cheap, easy and works well if the group is tight.

For backup/emergency communications when your phone dies I'd go with VHF ham. There's usually a repeater within range but just do your homework ahead of time to know what repeaters are close to where you'll be.
Just "ham" -- ok thanks. I'm new to the amateur radio world beyond CB, so I don't know all the vernacular.

I've had a CB but most people and orgs seem to be moving towards GMRS, I suppose because of its much more relaxed licensing vs ham.

Thanks again for the help. :like:
Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Just "ham" -- ok thanks. I'm new to the amateur radio world beyond CB, so I don't know all the vernacular
Apologies if my comment sounded snobby or preachy - not intended :)

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT shopping
Occupation
Technology
Apologies if my comment sounded snobby or preachy - not intended :)
No offense taken. I'm grateful for any education, as this is a brand new area for me and I have a LOT to learn. Achieving a Technician's license will be just the start of my learning, not the end! ;)

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I wouldn't get your hopes up about online testing for the amateur radio test. I've heard nothing about them offering that and with a pretty tight group of ham guys influencing the shots about testing, I just don't see it happening.

As for CB being dead and not many hams out there, I have 60+ members in my club that are licensed hams and we spend 100+ nights on the trail each year. Check out the active 4x4Ham group also. With numerous clubs around the country and Jeep Jamboree USA now requiring GMRS, CB is going to die a lot faster now.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I wouldn't get your hopes up about online testing for the amateur radio test. I've heard nothing about them offering that and with a pretty tight group of ham guys influencing the shots about testing, I just don't see it happening.

As for CB being dead and not many hams out there, I have 60+ members in my club that are licensed hams and we spend 100+ nights on the trail each year. Check out the active 4x4Ham group also. With numerous clubs around the country and Jeep Jamboree USA now requiring GMRS, CB is going to die a lot faster now.
You can already do ham tests online but I'm not a fan of the fact you have to use a Zoom call for credential validation. There's several on Reddit on the the amateur radio sub that have reported success with their technician licenses.

For OP, what you want to have will be dependent on what you need, as others have said. If your trail group uses CB then you need a CB. If they use ham or GMRS then you need those. Handheld setups work just fine for most trail rides and you can cover all three bases for under $200 so that's a good way to jump into it.

Also there is no license requirement for any radio frequency in a true life and death emergency. It's a good idea to toss a cheap Baofeng or something in the truck just as a backup plan beacuse you're more likely to hit a VHF repeater than get a cell signal in a lot of places.

Sponsored

Recalcitrant270

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP Gladiator
Occupation
IT Technician

I read this a couple of months ago, so its is coming may be a little ways off yet but they are working on it.
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...st-all-online-ham-radio-exam.htm#.XrtRXERKjDc

Just ordered my books and am planning on sitting for my technician license this fall.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Just "ham" -- ok thanks. I'm new to the amateur radio world beyond CB, so I don't know all the vernacular.

I've had a CB but most people and orgs seem to be moving towards GMRS, I suppose because of its much more relaxed licensing vs ham.

Thanks again for the help. :like:
There are some exams online almost daily it looks like. Some of them are in a first come first server waiting room style format though.

https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I have been watching the situation, I got my technician license in Feb and was going to go for general in April but testing got canceled.

Having a hard time figuring out how to setup a rig in the jeep though. I ride around topless and doorless most of the time so having a way to mount the radio so it is safe from the elements has proven impossible.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Rumor mill has it they are doing away with HAM repeaters. I think Commiefornia has cancelled upkeep and said they are no longer necessary. Guess they want to isolate us from the rest of the world.
The California emergency services have taken the position that their in-house comms are more than sufficient for any emergency situation. Therefore, they no longer require the support of ham operators. For that reason, they are withdrawing their support for ham repeaters that are located on certain state properties. That means someone can pay to lease the location, or that the repeaters will be removed. This has zero impact on any repeaters not located on those state properties. Not sure of current status, but those are basically the issues at hand.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
There are some exams online almost daily it looks like. Some of them are in a first come first server waiting room style format though.

https://hamstudy.org/sessions

I have been watching the situation, I got my technician license in Feb and was going to go for general in April but testing got canceled.

Having a hard time figuring out how to setup a rig in the jeep though. I ride around topless and doorless most of the time so having a way to mount the radio so it is safe from the elements has proven impossible.
I just got my tech license in February also so I don’t know much and haven’t gotten my ham radio dialed in or programmed yet but I had the same dilemma myself. I don’t get to take the doors and top off as much the way the weather changes around the Midwest but I still wanted to require a setup that allowed for doors, top, and windshield down. In the end, I followed another members idea of making a unistrut bar mounted to the dash and mounting the two radios, GoPro and my phone holder on that. For the antenna, bought a pair of the AEG pod light mounts that come off the side of the cowl so the windshield can still lay down and drilled a hole in the driver side one behind my pod light to mount the Tram dual band antenna. (CB antenna is mounted on the bed rail for now)

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I got my first ham license in 1980, I'm that old, and used it illegally before that. The trail "norm" used to be CB because everyone had it, now it's moving to VHF using business and MURS frequencies, and UHF using FRS/GMRS frequencies. I have them all programmed in my radio so I can join most any group using any of them.

This is illegal, BTW, but nobody is out there looking for people violating type-approvals that are inconsequential. I just switch to low power on those frequencies.

On high power, I'm able to reach repeaters 60+ miles away, so in an emergency, I have a wide number of ways to communicate.

Jeep Gladiator CB or Ham, the better route? IMG_6563

Jeep Gladiator CB or Ham, the better route? IMG_6538

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Center console might be the best option. Not only is it protected from the elements, but it's also lockable (well it used to be on the JK, come to think of it I never checked on the JT), and the display is still somewhat in view without taking your eyes off the road.

(in the JK) I had an Icom IC-2200 VHF ham rig installed in the console along with a Cobra CB (75 WX ST). Both the ham and the CB rigs had remote control mikes, hung on the dash.

If the jeep was parked doorless/topless, both mikes could be stuffed and locked inside the console alongside the radios.

Just an idea...

PS - if you have a larger CB a great spot is where @SwampNut shows it - on the passenger footwell side of the console. Keeps it from interfering with your driver's side leg area (already cramped) and is still easily readable, controllable, and much easier to mount there compared to the console.

Jeep Gladiator CB or Ham, the better route? stealth_install

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I got my first ham license in 1980, I'm that old, and used it illegally before that. The trail "norm" used to be CB because everyone had it, now it's moving to VHF using business and MURS frequencies, and UHF using FRS/GMRS frequencies. I have them all programmed in my radio so I can join most any group using any of them.

This is illegal, BTW, but nobody is out there looking for people violating type-approvals that are inconsequential. I just switch to low power on those frequencies.

On high power, I'm able to reach repeaters 60+ miles away, so in an emergency, I have a wide number of ways to communicate.

Jeep Gladiator CB or Ham, the better route? stealth_install
"ILLEGAL" ????? Not sure if it is in the best interests of this forum to suggest or promote illegal behavior or violations of Federal law. Perhaps there is little enforcement today but you can bet if it gets out of hand that the Feds are not going to allow these bands to be whored like CB was in the 70's. As for the trail norm, it's still CB in many parts of the country but to say it's moving to VHF is a pretty bold statement that isn't perhaps 100% factual. Perhaps few consequences today but in the future..................................................

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The point is that it's not abuse of frequencies at all. It's simply that this hardware is not type-accepted for those bands. It's a technicality that's trivial. It's like saying that a Gladiator tire can't be used on a JK because the DOT didn't test that particular combination. Or saying that you can't run a Bronco on a "Jeep trail." It's silly.

I could buy a type-accepted radio for GMRS that does exactly the same this not-accepted radio does. Nobody can tell.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
The point is that it's not abuse of frequencies at all. It's simply that this hardware is not type-accepted for those bands. It's a technicality that's trivial. It's like saying that a Gladiator tire can't be used on a JK because the DOT didn't test that particular combination. Or saying that you can't run a Bronco on a "Jeep trail." It's silly.

I could buy a type-accepted radio for GMRS that does exactly the same this not-accepted radio does. Nobody can tell.
But the point is that it is a violation of Federal Laws. The FCC bans those radios as fast as the Chinese can make them and change them. It is illegal to use them no matter if "no one can tell or not". The same would apply to the same people who say I don't care if the trail is closed, I'm going to drive on it anyway, who is going to know. The laws are in place for reasons and it is wrong to encourage others to violate those same laws "just because". And, if you don't have licenses for those frequencies, as MOST do not, it is a violation of frequencies. No different than those off roaders out there with the cheap Baofengs and no ham license mucking up the frequencies and people on this forum or organized clubs should not be condoning these clear violations of the law.
Sponsored