Changes in Performance with Bumper and Winch

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
So am changing out to a RR Arcus Bumper and Badlands Apex 12000 lbs winch this weekend. Running Stock Sport S Max Tow with Rubi take off tires and shocks. Was thinking maybe someone else out there has made similar change and could advise if the changes altered the handling or performance of the truck much. I guess I might have to look at it after the change and see if any leveling or such needs to be done but I don't mind some rake in the front to offset when I am hauling and towing things.
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
So am changing out to a RR Arcus Bumper and Badlands Apex 12000 lbs winch this weekend. Running Stock Sport S Max Tow with Rubi take off tires and shocks. Was thinking maybe someone else out there has made similar change and could advise if the changes altered the handling or performance of the truck much. I guess I might have to look at it after the change and see if any leveling or such needs to be done but I don't mind some rake in the front to offset when I am hauling and towing things.
These trucks don't handle or perform in the first place.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I couldn't really say. Didn't do much driving the first couple weeks of owning before putting stuff on.

Added:
Smittybilt 9.5k XRC w/ plate
JCR Bed Rack (full)
JCR Roof molle panel
Bunch of lights
The good ol' Tepui Autana 3 RTT.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You can feel it's there and I recommend a 1" spacer or swapping in Rubicon front springs if you want to maintain ride height. Overall it's extremely minor in regards to handling and if anything, I'd almost say it made my truck feel more stable.

Reactions: BAT

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
You can feel it's there and I recommend a 1" spacer or swapping in Rubicon front springs if you want to maintain ride height. Overall it's extremely minor in regards to handling and if anything, I'd almost say it made my truck feel more stable.
The Sport is already fairly light. If you run fast on dirt the added weight hanging off front end will be very noticeable. For crawling it would not matter so much.

Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
The Sport is already fairly light. If you run fast on dirt the added weight hanging off front end will be very noticeable. For crawling it would not matter so much.
I would agree with this post. My Willy`s felt front heavy when going into turns after the addition of the winch and bumper, sometimes felt like I would lose traction in the back. After I installed a rear bumper / bed sliders and added weight to the back end, it felt balanced again.

As others have said, consider the height as well. If your gladiator is stock, its already got a pretty aggressive rake. Youll be nose down big time with the bumper and winch added on. Consider throwing in some spacers to compensate, or if you plan to install a lift kit, maybe do that first.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would agree with this post. My Willy`s felt front heavy when going into turns after the addition of the winch and bumper, sometimes felt like I would lose traction in the back. After I installed a rear bumper / bed sliders and added weight to the back end, it felt balanced again.

As others have said, consider the height as well. If your gladiator is stock, its already got a pretty aggressive rake. Youll be nose down big time with the bumper and winch added on. Consider throwing in some spacers to compensate, or if you plan to install a lift kit, maybe do that first.
No plans to lift but might have to entertain some spacers or something to keep it normal I guess you would say. I know the bumper doesn't weight that much but the winch is like 85 lbs. Probably bit overkill for me but I can get it at a really good price.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I lost a couple mpgs and I think the front went down by like 1/2", as others have noted in my thread
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/loss-in-height-from-adding-a-winch.31382/

No plans to lift but might have to entertain some spacers or something to keep it normal I guess you would say. I know the bumper doesn't weight that much but the winch is like 85 lbs. Probably bit overkill for me but I can get it at a really good price.
Per RR: Winch plate, hooks, bumper and all hardware is about 68 lbs
https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-arcus-front-bumper/

Smittybilt X20 10k winch with synthetic line weighs about 65lbs

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lost a couple mpgs and I think the front went down by like 1/2", as others have noted in my thread
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/loss-in-height-from-adding-a-winch.31382/

Per RR: Winch plate, hooks, bumper and all hardware is about 68 lbs
https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-arcus-front-bumper/

Smittybilt X20 10k winch with synthetic line weighs about 65lbs
Thanks looks a few folks in that thread did pretty much what I am doing and didn't seem to have much change. I will measure before and then after to see if I lost anything

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 10K winch is probably all I need but I can get the APEX 12K with Synthetic Line for $450 from a person who bought one and didn't use it so its still in the box, etc. Figured for that price what the heck take a chance on it

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
The 10K winch is probably all I need but I can get the APEX 12K with Synthetic Line for $450 from a person who bought one and didn't use it so its still in the box, etc. Figured for that price what the heck take a chance on it
If you want to wait a little, I snagged the SB X20 10k with steel cable for $330 OTD on sale, and then spent $100 on a synthetic line, $430. I went with SB over the HB for weight considerations.

OP
OP

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to wait a little, I snagged the SB X20 10k with steel cable for $330 OTD on sale, and then spent $100 on a synthetic line, $430. I went with SB over the HB for weight considerations.
Less weight would be nice.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
You'll probably notice a change in gas mileage. I did.
I added about 160+ lbs. with my bumper and winch (Tactic stubby and SB 9500 xrc). I have the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit. Stock springs and shocks on a max tow and 33x11.5 MTs.

Reactions: BAT

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Overland:
swapped off stock bumper and put on steel MOPAR type bumper.
Removed plastic air dam, installed steel skid plate to bolt to the bumper.
Installed Apex 12,000 winch.

PRIOR to that I put the light version of Rubicon front springs on and took the front of the truck up all but an inch. I put max tow springs under the rear and it dropped a tiny bit (they are shorter than Overland springs but hold weight better)
The weight of the bumper, skid plate and winch dropped the front end 1/2" after the springs raised it about 1 inch.

I then put 3/4" spacers up front and brought it back up.

I can feel the weight - the truck is definitely heavier up front. If I was bouncing through rough fields I'd be concerned.

Handling - no discernable difference. Nothing to mention or write home about. It handles fine, like any pickup should handle, IMO.
You can feel it's heavier up there because all that weight is ahead of the front axle.
(bumper, winch, skid plate, etc. likely added 150-160 pounds or so total)
It makes the rear feel lighter. When I first swapped springs and put max tow springs under the rear, I lost a tiny bit of height back there - now, though, it's the same as it was before the swap. Just like weight at the very back raises the front, weight at the very front raises the rear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You'll probably notice a change in gas mileage. I did.
I added about 160+ lbs. with my bumper and winch (Tactic stubby and SB 9500 xrc). I have the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit. Stock springs and shocks on a max tow and 33x11.5 MTs.
Yes, that, too. Forgot to mention it did go down a bit.
Sponsored