First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2003 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Retired
I did the Clayton 3.5" overland plus, steering stabilizer, axle disconnect skid. Love it. I'm stuck between 4.88 and 5.13 gears. The 4.10's now drive pretty well but I need to make my mind up on gears soon. Lots of hwy, not much towing. I'm leaning 4.88 as it's pretty flat around here. Gas is creeping up and I did lose some power with 37's. Added a high flow banks intake to help some. Front drive shaft is on the list at some point as well. Those guys at Clayton were very nice and helpful. Top notch quality, made in USA to boot.

82146BB5-9B7D-47F1-9BCE-308345751E0B.jpeg
95B2D4E2-90D0-4082-816D-10CCDDCAA5D2_1_201_a.jpeg
I have the 2.5 Clayton with BFG KO 2s and my shop strongly recommended 5.13 gears. I think at 70mph 5.13s run at about 150 more rpms vs. 4.88. I did a lot of research on this and shops seemed to be about 50/50 so I went with what my shop recommended. I know one person who did 4.88s and wishes he would have done 5.13s. I know another person who has 4.88s and he is perfectly happy. Interestingly, I talked to a gear manufacturer who recommended 5.38s but no one else did. Basically I went with my shop‘s recommendation and I am happy. Plently of power and gas mileage is pretty much what I expected.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
totally agree; i only did the steering stabilizer cause I liked what it did on my JL and my steering was fine stock but this is a little tighter in my mind. I won't replace any other parts now until they wear or break.
Note: I just had to change my Steering Stabilizer and went with the Falcon 2.2 fast adjust steering stabilizer. This was a great upgrade. I keep it on "medium" and the difference is huge from the stock stabilizer. My stock one started to feel real loose after 5K miles - off road and on road - with the lift and 37" tires. When I took it off, it was real easy to compress. I would now recommend changing the steering stabilizer soon after you do the lift and tires.

Regarding 5:13s vs. 4:88s; my logic is that you get better acceleration in the 1/4 mile with 5:13s which translates to being faster stop light to stop light, and being able to use 4WH, 1st and 2nd gear while doing faster 4wheeling. I have to say, I am very impressed with the acceleration of the 5:13s.
Sponsored