Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Not sure why everyone is wondering about wide axles. It's only like 1 or 2 inches. Maybe that's enough to make people feel better?

What you put together with the 35 spline axles and the ARB and stuff is quite impressive actually.
KUDOS really, it sounds great.
I used to like the ARB in my front axle, it worked well for awhile, then stated burping gear oil into my Jeep, so I think I'm done with them. Running air lines also sucks. Electric lockers seem to be a little less problematic also. Going Dana UD44 or UD60 is really a better choice for the money. Why bother dealing with custom stuff, its fun, and maybe saves you a few bucks, but in the end you are not really better off. I'm seriously considering UD60 in the rear. For the money you can not beat it. Look at Currie, Dynatrack, etc. On the down low it is the best bang for the buck without a doubt.

Just my .02
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Not sure why everyone is wondering about wide axles. It's only like 1 or 2 inches. Maybe that's enough to make people feel better?

I used to like the ARB in my front axle, it worked well for awhile, then stated burping gear oil into my Jeep, so I think I'm done with them. Running air lines also sucks. Electric lockers seem to be a little less problematic also. Going Dana UD44 or UD60 is really a better choice for the money. Why bother dealing with custom stuff, its fun, and maybe saves you a few bucks, but in the end you are not really better off. For a UD60 in the rear you can not beat it. Look at Currie, Dynatrack, etc. On the down low it is the best bang for the buck without a doubt.

Just my .02
I think this is spot on. Other than installing gears in my axles I decided to hold off and not pour good money after bad into a series of compromises. After my frustration with OX I have stepped back and tried rethinking this. U60 solves all the issues once and for all without compromise. Expensive, yeah, but so is upgrading factory stuff piece by piece with delays, shop fees, multiple visits, and at the end they still are 44s

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Axle shafts
Truss and Gusset
Lockers
Compressor
Gears

Thats 7k installed vs 20k Dynatrac D60’s
That's why I said "Going Dana UD44 or UD60 is really a better choice for the money "

Jeep Gladiator Complete Axle Upgrade Bible Shopping Cart_Northridge4x4 - Brave

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
That's why I said "Going Dana UD44 or UD60 is really a better choice for the money "

Jeep Gladiator Complete Axle Upgrade Bible Shopping Cart_Northridge4x4 - Brave
One is 8 lug one is 5 lug. Don't forget to throw in the cost of new wheels and support parts.

Sponsored

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
One is 8 lug one is 5 lug. Don't forget to throw in the cost of new wheels and support parts.
You are correct, that was just an example. I chose the front D44 because a front 60 is a little more work to run due to lift etc. I would not buy those together.

Point being, there are more than one way to skin a cat. Not knocking your approach, and it will be solid with 35 splines for sure.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Sounds like my front is stronger for cheaper
how so, thought you were at 7K?
yes 35 spline shafts are going to be stronger than 32 every day of the week and twice on Sunday

The problem is the u-joint. And what RCV has done is make the u-joint axle less attractive.
  • RCV Dana 44s are stronger than OEM Dana 60 u-joint axles
  • Running RCVs gains more strength than a Dana 60 while allowing you to keep the same wheels, less weight, and more ground clearance
If you look at the tech you will see, RCV's are rated to 43" tires at 32 spline guaranteed FOR LIFE.
That's insane! All backed with a Lifetime Warranty against breakage up to a 43" tire.

You may ask, how is it possible.
Jeep Gladiator Complete Axle Upgrade Bible 20210903_175617

The shaft from the carrier goes into the CV joint. There are 6 points of contact verses 2 ears that support a u-joint. The point of failure is usually the u-joint, so you can go with bigger u-joints
then the ears on the axles fail or whatever.

So let's be honest, the RCV is better than the 35 spline configuration in the front. In my opinion for the money, you can't beat $1400 for a set of RCV's.
In the rear, we are stuck. Convert to an ARB with 35 spline shaft as Brandon suggested or go for an aftermarket axle. I'm on the fence.

Even having different wheels is no big deal really. If you are wheeling that hard, throw one spare each in the bed, otherwise don't even bother.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
looking at the RCV Performance Ultimate Dana 44 with FAD and the RCV Performance Ultimate Performance 35 spline one piece.
Aside from losing the FAD..... any other differences?
I have a Sport S and have Reid Racing Knuckles and Teraflex HD ball joints.....
Regeared to 4.88 already. Will probably add lockers at some point.

Thoughts?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
looking at the RCV Performance Ultimate Dana 44 with FAD and the RCV Performance Ultimate Performance 35 spline one piece.

Thoughts?
Had the RCV's in my Power Wagon. Planning on getting them for the JTRD.

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Thoughts?
Another option if you want to lose the FAD is having a shop retube the passenger side. Honestly shouldn’t be too expensive.

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Gears, Lockers, even the first ever 35 spline shaft upgrades. Now all in one place. I hope this helps Jeepers for years to come and to help new Jeep owners to understand why axles are such a big deal and require a lot of money for gear installs. This is for the Sport and Rubicons as the gears, axles, and lockers are all the same. Its the width and axle tube thickness on the OUTSIDE that are different. All JT axles are 32 spline. All JT axles are M210 front and M220 rear. Also surprisingly the Nissan Titan and Ford Bronco use Dana Spicer AdvanTEK axles.

Info Note:
Sport and S, Willys, Overland, the 80th, (non max tow) gasoline and diesels all have the standard width axles and only offer 3.73 gear ratio.
Only the Sport S w/ Max Tow, Rubicon, Mojave, and High Altitude have a thicker tubed (10mm), 1.5" Wide Track Axle. Gasoline are 4.10 gear ratio... all High Altitude’s and all Diesels are 3.73.

DIFF
The RD245 32 Spline and RD246 35 Spline are interchangeable rear to front and front to rear. You can change only the diff between the M210 and M220.

GEARS
The ring gear is not interchangeable. A M210 has to go in the front and the M220 has to go in the rear.

SHAFTS
Rubicon, Max Tow, and Mojave have thiccc boy tubes and are .75 wider per side. The diff inside is also offset.
!!!!You will need new shafts to run ARB lockers of any kind!!!!
ARB246 requires custom 35 Spline shafts

Sport and S, Willys, Overland, 80th, (non max tow), narrow axles. Still as strong at 32 Spline but must be ordered for ARB Super kits.
!!!!!! You CAN use stock shafts for ARB 245 front and rear!!!!!!!!
ARB246 requires custom 35 Spline shafts.

This information was compiled from Jeep engineer Scott Blum, and compilation from John Hartel.

Get to know your dana 44s. All jt sports and rubicons in these 3 videos.

Front m210 Dana 44 axle build.

Good to see you hear! Like many I have watched your Gladiator projects on YouTube and have followed you lead on several. I like the idea of having a post dedicated to axles. I have posted a question regarding axles and have yet to see a definitive answer. My question: Are Gladiator Rubicon axles a direct physical fit with non Rubicon Gladiators. I understand non Rubicon Gladiators are not equipped with the locker electronics or switch system and Rubicon axles are slightly wider.

Again good to see you and thanks for the great information!
Sponsored