Complete Focal Component Speaker Install with Custom Sub Box Behind Seat

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I am looking at the AudioControl LC 6-1200 or the same in 8 channels depending on how it gets setup.
I don’t believe audio control makes an 8 ch amp. LC.6-1200 and LC.1-800 will get the job done.
Sponsored

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I don’t believe audio control makes an 8 ch amp. LC.6-1200 and LC.1-800 will get the job done.
Sorry my mistake. The 8 channel is the JL XD8008V2 .Safe to say that you ran 1 channel to each crossover powering the woofer and the tweeter in each corner in the dash and the same in the soundbar? leaving 2 channels unused? or are you running more than 8 speakers?

Last edited:

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Sorry my mistake. The 8 channel is the JL XD8008V2 .Safe to say that you ran 1 channel to each crossover powering the woofer and the tweeter in each corner in the dash and the same in the soundbar? leaving 2 channels unused? or are you running more than 8 speakers?
I’m using an LC.5-1300 to power the front dash (ch1/2), soundbar component set (ch3/4) and Kicker 10” L7T sub under rear seat (ch5). The factory 8.4 and OEM amp power the knee mids and OEM sub.

Stinger makes mounting plates to locate amps under the driver and passenger seats. Pic is with the passenger seat all the way forward. So the amp is hidden in the normal seating position.

9797E7E3-925A-4D1B-8D0D-AEFDDF1CE9BF.jpeg

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
I did the same as desert rated. Front stage, tweeters in the upper windshield dash location and 6.5" mid-bass in the lower dash. Sound bar, adapter with tweeter and 6.5" mid-bass. Front stage cross overs are in the dash, the ones in the pic are for the sound bar. (Sorry for the mess, it is the only pic I have, "Finished". Had to get everything back together.)

As for crossovers, you should always use the factory component speaker crossover. They are matched to each drivers capabilities. You won't gain anything, in a jeep, by using the amps built in crossover over the components speakers crossover.

The amps crossover is there to make the roll from one bandwidth to the next, flatten the curve. Example, if the sub will run 120hrz and down, you mid/highs would be set to 90-100 hrz and above. The overlap flattens, smooths the transition.

I guess if you had an 6 or 8 channel amp you could do a small component/coaxial set in the upper dash running more for mid range/high, 6.5" mid-bass in the lower dash, sound bar mid-bass/high and then bridge the last 2 for subs. I really cannot see a benifit of an 8 channel amp unless you wanted more power to the mid-bass. Such a small interior. . . .

Maybe is you were going to do a three-way setup and build door pods, then removing the doors would not be fun.
Jeep Gladiator Complete Focal Component Speaker Install with Custom Sub Box Behind Seat IMG_4093 Lar

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Crafty install!! I already purchased the Focals so I have 4 woofers and 4 tweeters. Soundbar pods are supposed to arrive today already have the knee pods. I have yet to decide on a subwoofer location or type. I guess I could go with the JL 8 channel and bridge all 8 channels to 4 crossovers I'm hoping to order an amp either today or tomorrow. Did you bypass the OEM speaker wires for heavier gauge? Is it fairly evident as to where the speaker output is picked up to run to the amp? I have the 7 inch non Alpine which I presume also has some semblance of an external amp. Right? Thanks!!

Sponsored

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Crafty install!! I already purchased the Focals so I have 4 woofers and 4 tweeters. Soundbar pods are supposed to arrive today already have the knee pods. I have yet to decide on a subwoofer location or type. I guess I could go with the JL 8 channel and bridge all 8 channels to 4 crossovers I'm hoping to order an amp either today or tomorrow. Did you bypass the OEM speaker wires for heavier gauge? Is it fairly evident as to where the speaker output is picked up to run to the amp? I have the 7 inch non Alpine which I presume also has some semblance of an external amp. Right? Thanks!!
With the 4 component sets you have, only a 4ch amp is needed if installing the crossovers that came with them. Again a 5ch will allow you to also power a sub. As stated above an 8ch amp doesn’t make sense for this application. Plus the JL XD8008V2 is physically a large amp creating challenges on finding a place to mount it.

I ran all new 14ga wire to the dash and soundbar, and 12ga for the sub.

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
With the 4 component sets you have, only a 4ch amp is needed if installing the crossovers that came with them. Again a 5ch will allow you to also power a sub. As stated above an 8ch amp doesn’t make sense for this application. Plus the JL XD8008V2 is physically a large amp creating challenges on finding a place to mount it.

I ran all new 14ga wire to the dash and soundbar, and 12ga for the sub.
Understood. Thanks! In doing some additional reading it sounds like noise is an issue with that amp anyway. I am changing direction, just ordered the Focal FDP6.900 v2

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Understood. Thanks! In doing some additional reading it sounds like noise is an issue with that amp anyway. I am changing direction, just ordered the Focal FDP6.900 v2
Nice amp, lots of power. Downside is you’ll also need a line converter if staying with the OEM head unit.

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Nice amp, lots of power. Downside is you’ll also need a line converter if staying with the OEM head unit.
ouch! not only that but Crutchfield says I need a T harness and RCA cables and a SPK SIM. Thats like another $300. Just when I thought I had this all taken care of! lol just canceled that order!

Last edited:

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
Finally completed a total overhaul of my non-amplified 7" U-Connect system and thought I'd share a bunch of pics and answer any questions about this process. Like many folks have done, I did the basic speaker swaps in the dash and sound bar (I went the Infinity route) and ran that for a few months. Better than factory, but still not what I was after. Did a lot of research, pricing, planning, etc and finally decided to open the wallet up and see what I could accomplish with the goal of being better than factory amped system for the same or less cost. Long process for me, but the outcome made it worth every penny and hour spent.
The only thing I retained from the factory system was the factory 7" touch screen. I didn't want to give up my under seat storage for a sub box since I found it more usable for carrying crap than the space behind the rear seat. Unfortunately there isn't much room behind the rear seat for a sub box of any decent size. I pulled the rear storage tray (easy) and then the rear trim panel (NOT easy - good luck not breaking a clip or 4 along the top!). I mocked up some cardboard templates (thanks Coors Light), pencil whipped some volume calcs, and decided with some custom pocketing in the back of the sub box I could make this sh!t work, so it was all go from there:
Jeep Gladiator Complete Focal Component Speaker Install with Custom Sub Box Behind Seat IMG_4093 Lar
i am even more proud to say i am a Texan after your post haha!!!
dang you are awesome...how close do you live to houston to come do mine!? ;)

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Check out https://www.youtube.com/@wal for amp tests. He does both old and new. His videos of the Audio Control and JL amps convinced me on the LC5.1300. JL dose not have much overhead in power and n where close with efficiency compared to AC amps.

As for sub location, under seat is easiest but I carry too much equipment under the rear seats and just don't like bed covers, so sub had to go behind. Space is tight, shallow mounts are your friend if that is how you roll.

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
If you want power everything a 6ch like an Audio Control LC-6.1200 for dash, knee mids, and sound bar is needed. Then a dedicated sub amp like an Audio Control LC-1.800. Audio Control are great amps and have the line converter and crossovers built in for easy integration into a factory system.
I bought the AudioControl LC 5.1300 today. It only took me 50 posts to figure out what to buy! lol
Its gonna probably take 200 post/questions for me to figure out how to get this all wired up! lol
Thanks in advance for everyone's patience! :)

hey geneinhouston - for what it worth, based on the amount of work that Texan put into his build you might wanna offer your 1st born to get him to replicate it for you! just guessing that dinner aint gonna cut it! lol

Last edited:

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Here is a recommendation for power cable, real deal, not the cheap stuff sold on a lot of sites. It is the recommended size cable for the LC5.1300 too. https://www.batterycablesusa.com/0-gauge-battery-cable-red-1-0-awg
Ground should match and you only need a few feet depending where you mount the amp.

I also bought this kit and crimper, makes installing the wire into the terminals much easier.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082F25FMS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you! I read on the forum that there is a PAC pre amp that plugs directly into the headunit that you can then pull your inputs directly to the AMP. Are you familiar with this?

PAC LPHCH41 LocPro Advanced T-Harness
T-harness for adding an aftermarket amplifier to select 2013-up Chrysler-built vehicles without a factory amp

Last edited:

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Thank you! I read on the forum that there is a PAC pre amp that plugs directly into the headunit that you can then pull your inputs directly to the AMP. Are you familiar with this?

PAC LPHCH41 LocPro Advanced T-Harness
T-harness for adding an aftermarket amplifier to select 2013-up Chrysler-built vehicles without a factory amp
You don’t need it with the LC5.1300. It has both line level inputs and speaker level inputs. I did get their impedance matching resistors just to be safe. Some say you don’t need them, cheap insurance to me.

You will need to run from the either the speaker location or head unit to the amp, them from the amp to the speakers. Depending on location of the amp and crossovers you would want to run 18/2 from speaker/head unit to the amp. 18/4 from the amp/crossover to new speakers. Might want to just buy a 500’ box of 18/4 stranded in-wall cable from HD or Lowe’s. You will have plenty and it will hold up in a vehicle long term. Don’t get sucked into the fancy speaker cable crap. Do though make sure whet you get is 100% copper. Not clad or tinned. Clad and tin adds resistance. The founder of McIntosh has a great write up of the difference of expensive cables versus standard cable.
Sponsored