Complete Focal Component Speaker Install with Custom Sub Box Behind Seat

sizmtrz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU, 2021 JL Gladiator
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I’m preparing to fab up something for a three-way front stage myself. Love to see how you ended up mounting the mid range and tweeters. Amazing work!

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Dash pods rebuild. Decided to try customizing the factory ones and it worked out fine. Fugly looking because I went overboard on trying to seal them up and then shot a quick coat of black over it. Reality is they are hidden behind the dash so you can't see them anyways. For anyone thinking of pulling your knee pods, its NOT as bad as it seems to be from some of the old write ups on the forums. You don't have to pull your entire dash apart to get these out/in so don't be intimidated by the thought of changing these. I can get into more detail if someone wants.
20210406_164606.jpg
20210406_221241.jpg
20210406_224323.jpg
20210407_123442.jpg
20210331_163129.jpg
20210414_175527.jpg

Still working on a more permanent dash solution for the mids and tweets. Will update once I complete, but for now the system is up and running and sounds killer!
I read on an older thread that it was necessary to add a resistor across the speaker wires to fool the UConnect that the oem speakers were still installed. Is this still the case with the newer JT's?

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I read on an older thread that it was necessary to add a resistor across the speaker wires to fool the UConnect that the oem speakers were still installed. Is this still the case with the newer JT's?
I just completed a full speaker, amp and sub upgrade in my JT. Kept the OEM 8.4 head unit with an Audio Control amp using line inputs from the OEM speaker wires. No resistors were needed.

Sponsored

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I just completed a full speaker, amp and sub upgrade in my JT. Kept the OEM 8.4 head unit with an Audio Control amp using line inputs from the OEM speaker wires. No resistors were needed.
Thanks! Just ordered 6 Focal woofers and 6 tweeters. Hoping for a smooth install.

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Did you replace the soundbar speakers? I was planning on replacing mine with a 6.5 and a 3.5 Focal on each side. However the adapters dont seem accommodate anything more than 1 speaker per side.

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Yes I did with Select Increment Kicker 6.5” / 1” component set. No cutting of the factory sound bar required.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/select-...er-jl-gladiator-jt/premium-kicker-31-jljt-akc
Did you run an 8 channel amp? from what I am reading it seems that it is recommended that one channel per speaker be allocated when installing components. However, I have also seen a reference to something called a "crossover" when putting a woofer and a tweeter in the same enclosure such as the soundbar which I guess means they are wired in parallel? What is your opinion?

Sponsored

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Did you run an 8 channel amp? from what I am reading it seems that it is recommended that one channel per speaker be allocated when installing components. However, I have also seen a reference to something called a "crossover" when putting a woofer and a tweeter in the same enclosure such as the soundbar which I guess means they are wired in parallel? What is your opinion?
Component speakers will have their own crossover. So a 5 channel amp will work since room is VERY limited in the JT. I used an Audio Control LC5.1300 in my system. I made a fiberglass sub enclosure behind the rear seats, stock 7" head unit with speaker inputs and Boston Pro 6.5 components in the sound bar and fronts.

The Audio Control LC amps have a built in crossover, but on the line of sub signals to the sub channel and high pass crossover to the mid/highs of the components. Meaning Sub gets 120hertz and below, the rest get 100hertz and up. The beauty of the AC amp is the power it provides and it is extremely efficient. Meaning the rated output, you get on average 20% MORE!

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
If you want power everything a 6ch like an Audio Control LC-6.1200 for dash, knee mids, and sound bar is needed. Then a dedicated sub amp like an Audio Control LC-1.800. Audio Control are great amps and have the line converter and crossovers built in for easy integration into a factory system.

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I have been shopping for the AC-8-1200 this is the 2nd recommendation for it. My Focals arrived today with their own crossovers. So if I understand you I should not use them and use one channel per speaker.

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
I have been shopping for the AC-8-1200 this is the 2nd recommendation for it. My Focals arrived today with their own crossovers. So if I understand you I should not use them and use one channel per speaker.

Either a built in crossover on the amp or the included crossovers with speakers can be used. Do you have a link to the amplifier you plan to use?

ShawnL

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I am looking at the AudioControl LC 6-1200 or the same in 8 channels depending on how it gets setup.
Sponsored