Sponsored

Considering a Gladiator

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
The truck isn’t a freakin video game. At that point you’re literally taking away all the good things about a modern automatic without gaining any of the awesomeness that comes with a manual. Manually shifting an automatic is absolutely worthless. It’s the equivalent of a CVT with programmed lurches to make the passengers feel like the tranny is shifting. It’s an audio track making engine noises for an electric car.

When people talk about having “control” in a manual, it’s not just about shifting when you feel like it and holding revs when you want...it’s about being able to feather the clutch and throttle during a shift, having the finesse to do so smoothly. Learning to properly heel-toe, skip-shift, rev-match. A manual enables a relationship with your vehicle that you just don’t get with an automatic.

Push button shifting an automatic Is for people that trust politicians and believe that either political party in America actually has all the answers.
And a few more push button things, chief... the sway bar disconnects.. video game push button... the locking/unlocking differentials? Video game push button, chief... so quit talking outta your ass because it stinks...
Sponsored

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
And a few more push button things, chief... the sway bar disconnects.. video game push button... the locking/unlocking differentials? Video game push button, chief... so quit talking outta your ass because it stinks...
I take it you don’t know how to drive a manual? Or maybe you just don’t like them. I’ve never had push button lockers or discos...always climbed under the Jeep with a pair of wrenches and depended on driving skill, a tow strap or a winch to help me where lockers may have been needed. Regardless, those features are on another level than the discussion of transmissions. Lockers are selectable (usually push-button, but this would actually make them more closely related to a manual transmission),or automatic...not bringing welded gears, spools, or open diffs into it. It’s a different conversation. It would have been more accurate to bring manually locking hubs vs push-button 4wd into the conversation

I’ll admit, I’m looking forward to the extra features of a Rubicon, but I’ve never needed them in the past.

There was a time when driving an automatic instead of a manual was basically just a sign of laziness or inability. The automatic resulted in lower fuel economy, worse performance, higher maintenance costs, etc. For better or worse, I admit that isn’t the case anymore. And I will admit, there are DCT’s out there that require push-button-shifting as a part of performance driving...but I shall maintain, “auto-sticks” are simply a form of self-delusion.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
So here are my 2 cents...
I've NEVER driven a manual vehicle. I decided to buy a manual gladiator 16 hours away...
For the past 6 years I drove a Ford Fiesta, so going to a truck AND a manual was scary to me.
I sold my car and bought a $500 POS manual to learn in and drove that for one week and really did NOT like it. I killed it all the time. :(
Yet, we drove 16 hours to go get my Gladiator. We get there and I couldn't even get the damn thing to move. It died over and over and over. My BF who has driven manuals for 20 years even killed it a couple times leaving a red light. And after a lot of thought. I still bought it.

Now, this being said. I did end up driving 7 of the 16 hours back home. Mostly interstate, but it gave me time to relax and really fall in love with my truck.
I've been driving it exclusively for 2 weeks now. And yes, it was hard to learn at first, and I still sometimes kill it taking off from a red light. But I'm getting better at this and with that is coming confidence. Now - I don't know a whole lot about how transmissions work or vehicles in general. But This is what I have noticed about the manual:
The clutch is very soft, there isn't a whole lot of grey area.
Shifting around 3000RPM tends to make it happy.
I don't feel that this vehicle is slow, she gets up and gets moving fast enough for me.
1-2 usually around 10-15 mph
2-3 usually around 28-32
3-4 usually around 40-45, sometimes as high as 50 when on inclines
4-5 at 57+ or using cruise at 55+
5-6 at 67+ or using cruise at 65+

I've been averaging abour 22-23 MPG with my 60ish miles per day, about 10 or so miles of that town (45mph or less), 15 ish miles interstate (65mph) and the rest highway (55mph). I'm just shy of 2000 miles so far. On the 16 hour drive back, we were averaging 28 MPG.
In most cases I see it hovering above 28 up to 35 MPG on the interstate. I've never paid attention to on the highway, and around 14-20 MPG in town.

As far as shifting goes, it can be very smooth when you hit it right. The shifter moves very lightly and glides easily. It has a safety feature that blocks out certain gears at certain speeds, and it's not totally spot on, but the only one I even notice is that you can't shift into 1st gear when you're going over 20. (I'm still getting used to down shifting, so I usually shift down to 3rd, and then break and hold the clutch in and hop over to 1st when I'm slow enough to do so and engage the clutch after I've stopped. It's a WIP)

My least favorite shift is 1-2. It's hard to get it right and not lurch a little, it's happiest if you don't get the RPMS super high (I tend to led foot it). If I shift around 2kRPM or 8-10 mph with little acceleration I can get a smooth shift.

If there is anything else you wanna know, feel free to ask! :) Hopefully this helps a little.
I love your commitment and dedication! Long story short, but the first Gladiator I ordered I decided not to buy and the dealer sold it to a young couple that didn’t know how to drive a manual...the salesman actually drove them 3 hours back home in their new truck (I’m guessing they were trading in a vehicle that he drove back?).

My first manual was an 86 Accord that I got from my grandfather. He’d never driven an automatic in his life, so I had to teach him how first, then got a single lesson in the manual, before driving it 16 hours back home. Road trips are a fun way to learn to shift.

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Let's not fight guys.
I think you are both right in your own ways.
I think manual trans gives a fun driver experience.
I do feel the automatic may be a better option for this application, then again I've never even stepped foot in one.

My gym friend just happened to mention he drove a manual for 45 min, he said clutch was "different" that it did seem more if a 4 speed with 2 overdrive's than a true 6 speed.

I think there might be a few more benefits to the auto option, easy to find, remote start, 8 gears, big tire friendly etc.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I take it you don’t know how to drive a manual? Or maybe you just don’t like them. I’ve never had push button lockers or discos...always climbed under the Jeep with a pair of wrenches and depended on driving skill, a tow strap or a winch to help me where lockers may have been needed. Regardless, those features are on another level than the discussion of transmissions. Lockers are selectable (usually push-button, but this would actually make them more closely related to a manual transmission),or automatic...not bringing welded gears, spools, or open diffs into it. It’s a different conversation. It would have been more accurate to bring manually locking hubs vs push-button 4wd into the conversation

I’ll admit, I’m looking forward to the extra features of a Rubicon, but I’ve never needed them in the past.

There was a time when driving an automatic instead of a manual was basically just a sign of laziness or inability. The automatic resulted in lower fuel economy, worse performance, higher maintenance costs, etc. For better or worse, I admit that isn’t the case anymore. And I will admit, there are DCT’s out there that require push-button-shifting as a part of performance driving...but I shall maintain, “auto-sticks” are simply a form of self-delusion.
Again, you make so many assumptions.. I have driven and owned manuals... but of course you keep talking outta your ass... you are indeed an ass

Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

You are an idiot

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Let's not fight guys.
I think you are both right in your own ways.
I think manual trans gives a fun driver experience.
I do feel the automatic may be a better option for this application, then again I've never even stepped foot in one.

My gym friend just happened to mention he drove a manual for 45 min, he said clutch was "different" that it did seem more if a 4 speed with 2 overdrive's than a true 6 speed.

I think there might be a few more benefits to the auto option, easy to find, remote start, 8 gears, big tire friendly etc.
Yeah, I’ve lost this argument. My logic and sound reasoning are no match for insults and personal attacks.

The benefits are definitely there in favor of the automatic...your logic is sound. You don’t seem to be in a rush, so there is very little reason that you shouldn’t be able to find an auto and manual to test drive at some point. A manual is an emotional decision. At this point I’m buying a manual...but a few years down the road, I have a feeling my next Gladiator will be an automatic (and diesel), and I’ll add a 2 door JK or JL to the family that has a manual

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, I’ve lost this argument. My logic and sound reasoning are no match for insults and personal attacks.

The benefits are definitely there in favor of the automatic...your logic is sound. You don’t seem to be in a rush, so there is very little reason that you shouldn’t be able to find an auto and manual to test drive at some point. A manual is an emotional decision. At this point I’m buying a manual...but a few years down the road, I have a feeling my next Gladiator will be an automatic (and diesel), and I’ll add a 2 door JK or JL to the family that has a manual
I'm 38 and want to drive this until I'm 80. Non serviceable auto is concerning long term to me. It sure seems awful nice though.
I'm not in a hurry hopefully I can find one with a manual to test drive. The manual in the JT is different than the JL right?

Mulewhisperer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU TF-LA on 37’s
Owned Wranglers since I got my DL. CJ, YJ, TJ, JK and now a JT. It is only a couple days from showing up and will be my first auto "jeep" as all my others were manuals. I look forward to drinking a cup of coffee and keeping one hand on the wheel at all times.....

Sponsored

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
If you have one hand on the shifter and the other on the coffee cup, you are doing it wrong. ;D

For me personally, and not to try and sway anyone else's opinion, but a manual transmission connects me more to the vehicle. In a world where we have things like blind spot detection, and whatever the radar deal with the cruise control is, I see how more and more people are leaning towards things like that but they are not for me. I drive an old Dodge Ramcharger everyday with no air bags, no anti lock brakes, just good old leaf spring suspension, a granny gear 4 speed, gear driven transfer case, a couple Dana 60s and 37s. No A/C, no power windows, no delay wipers, etc, etc. You have to drive my truck. You don't just ride in it and steer it a little, it requires constant attention. I enjoy that. I can see how some people, particularly younger people, would not, but for me it is normal and I am uncomfortable in vehicles where the vehicle seemingly has more control than I do. I feel nervous relying on computer systems in vehicles because with my job at the dealership, I see how bad they can go when things go wrong. I am not Elon Musk and expect the car to revolt and kill me, nor do I think that it would cause a major accident or anything. But when I drive a more modern vehicle I do feel a bit out of control and I wonder when some computer glitch or corroded connector sending the wrong voltage signal is going to leave me stranded or driving without a necessary feature like lights or wipers.

But I have to admit that now that I am older, I would like things like A/C, power windows, a nice stereo and the other unique features of a Gladiator like the removable top and the off road capabilities of the Rubicon. I also would like to retain as much control over the vehicle as possible and a manual transmission, choosing my own shift points, etc is one of the ways I can feel more comfortable in a new vehicle. It's not a "this is better" or "that is better" sort of thing, it's more of a "manual transmissions are better for me" sort of deal. I've attempted to explain why that is a thing, but I think I failed at that. Probably better to just say, I feel more like the vehicle is an extension of my will with a manual transmission rather than just a means of transportation with me along for the ride.

Fastwake

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mojave fever. How many of you will be flying across the desert at 75 mph. I will go any where as fast as you guys in my Sport S.

Lakelife36

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze
The truck isn’t a freakin video game. At that point you’re literally taking away all the good things about a modern automatic without gaining any of the awesomeness that comes with a manual. Manually shifting an automatic is absolutely worthless. It’s the equivalent of a CVT with programmed lurches to make the passengers feel like the tranny is shifting. It’s an audio track making engine noises for an electric car.

When people talk about having “control” in a manual, it’s not just about shifting when you feel like it and holding revs when you want...it’s about being able to feather the clutch and throttle during a shift, having the finesse to do so smoothly. Learning to properly heel-toe, skip-shift, rev-match. A manual enables a relationship with your vehicle that you just don’t get with an automatic.

Push button shifting an automatic Is for people that trust politicians and believe that either political party in America actually has all the answers.
I test drive a JTR the other day and was surprised that there wasn't much room to swing my heel over and at the height difference between the gas and the brake when partly depressed. Have you.found a solution that allows easier heel-toeing?

Also I was disappointed at the lack of a dead pedal beside the clutch. Do you drive with your left foot under it?

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
I was on the fence, but kind of wanted a manual. I test drove a manual gladiator. I just assumed it would feel faster than the auto. Complete opposite. It felt like a 4cyl. My son test drove it also. He was REALLY wanting me to get a manual. (His mustang is a manual). He also was shocked that he hated it. We both feel strongly that no way we would buy the manual gladiator. I highly recommend a test drive.

OPA Mac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Certified Diagnostic Medical Imaging Services Engineer
Hi, I am new to the forum, and after monitoring it for a time, I see some great advice and opinions from the members. Now I have some questions. I purchased a 2022 Gladiator with a 3.6L V6 Gas engine and 6–Speed Manual Transmission. According to the book, I have Heavy–Duty Dana® 44 Front and Rear Axles. The Gladiator is my first Jeep as an owner, but I learned to drive on my Dad's WW-2 surplus CJ-1 or -2 back in the 1950s. I have driven thousands of miles in the Army's M-151, 151A2, and the M-37 Dodge ¾ ton truck in Vietnam and Germany's Autobahns. Having grown up in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, I have a suitable mountain and snow driving in these climates. I presently live in George, and we have lots of mud but not much snow. Enough of my BS background; let me get to my question and problem, if any.

I am looking to add manual locking hubs to the front wheels, and I haven't the foggiest idea where to start. The installation mechanics are not a problem, but what peace/parts I may need to purchase is. I don't know the spline count for Heavy–Duty Dana® 44 Front Axle or if manual locking hubs will work on my Gladiator.

Since I don't have any controls on the dash of my Gladiator, I thank that I have Automatic Locking Hubs, but the users manual is a bit vague on that subject. Next question, will I need to install a front-axle disconnect removal kit when I install manual locking hubs?

I did not purchase my Gladiatoy for rock crawling or mudding. I bought it as an excellent light utility truck to go fishing, hunting, and picnicking with my Grand's.
Sponsored