Sponsored

Contacted by Jeep Brand -- What would you do?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Your choice, but there is something to be said for just representing a brand without compensation. Getting paid makes you a shill and the pic is reduced to the level of a contrived Madison Avenue PR firm photo shoot. You are not Mathew McConaughey and won’t get the jack he gets from Lincoln.

If you are happy with the association, I’d grant them permission unconditionally and just be cool about it. Maybe some swag will come but still cool bragging rights if not. It would make for a few free beers I bet.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
HouseOfWolves

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Your choice, but there is something to be said for just representing a brand without compensation. Getting paid makes you a shill and the pic is reduced to the level of a contrived Madison Avenue PR firm photo shoot. You are not Mathew McConaughey and won’t get Lincilnthe Jack he gets from Lincoln.

If you are happy with the association, I’d grant them permission unconditionally and just be cool about it. Maybe some swag will come but still cool bragging rights if not. It would make for a few free beers I bet.

Thank you for your input.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
✌

I recently posted the picture below, in the "Show me your furry Co-Pilots" thread.

It was also posted on my Instagram account with various hashtags involving Australian Shepherds, and Jeeps. The Jeep Brand contacted me and has requested to use the image in social medial platforms throughout the world, possibly multiple times, for an indefinite period time. They will give me credit, but cannot offer me payment at this time.

To be honest, it is pretty damn cool... But, as my buddy who owns a JL Rubi said to me - "they could at least toss you some grab handles, or something."

What would you do?
Let them use it. They constantly churn through user photos, so there's always another option.

It would be different if you make a living from your photos.

Social media is supposed to be social. Getting money involved in it f**ked it all up.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
I personally would have no problem letting JEEP use the photo. If you are a professional photographer and that's how you make a living, that's another story. Then you can use it to your advantage. Your photo is in a worldwide JEEP ad. Unless you are in a Witness Protection Program and the bad guys see your alive and well... I see no harm.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t even get a Yeti cup custom engraved with the Jeep logo. Yeti said to me no way because Jeep will come after them for licensing rights bullshit. Pixeldecals.com has had problems with stickers he sells and other folks I’ve talked to on Etsy have been approached.

Point being, Jeep, the massive brand protects the shit out of their logo and forces everyone to pay. Including Jeep Clubs (Tampa Jeep Krewe anyone?). So why in the fuck should they expect people who have paid good money for their product to then let themselves be farmed out for free to Jeep?!?! Heck no.

Sponsored

FoxForce4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT HA
I’m anti-social media, for context. I would have a hard time giving them something, fully, forever, without any veto in how it is used, without compensation.

Obv they can just go to the next cool pic, which would be fine with me.

NotmyJt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Thanks for all the responses -- seriously torn if it wasn't just a one and done thing.

I am no photographer, and I am just lucky and get good pics like this:

BIG DOGS JEEP.jpg
To me this is the answer. Your not a professional photographer and you didn’t try to make a profit off of posting the picture originally so I would say yes

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
You can’t even get a Yeti cup custom engraved with the Jeep logo. Yeti said to me no way because Jeep will come after them for licensing rights bullshit. Pixeldecals.com has had problems with stickers he sells and other folks I’ve talked to on Etsy have been approached.

Point being, Jeep, the massive brand protects the shit out of their logo and forces everyone to pay. Including Jeep Clubs (Tampa Jeep Krewe anyone?). So why in the fuck should they expect people who have paid good money for their product to then let themselves be farmed out for free to Jeep?!?! Heck no.
No company can allow such free use of trademarks and copyrights. Sure, they don’t want to lose possible revenue but preventing harm to the brand is the most important thing. I understand why Jeep would want to limit the use of their logo for events, ensuring a positive experience for the participants, community and environment.

I’m sure Yeti won’t engrave a Coca Cola or pro sports team logo either.

Edit: (per my lawyer)

©2021 YETI COOLERS, LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
© 2021 The Coca-Cola Company. All rights reserved
oh, almost forgot Jeep, duh…
©2021 FCA US LLC. All Rights Reserved.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I hate to piss in your Post Toasties but you won't get anything right now OP. My daughter-in-law had the same type of offer from some baby products company with some pics she had posted of my granddaughter.

Cool stuff though man, it's worth asking for a couple novelty items though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Consider this, …have you ever posted your photos on Facebook and not wanted to get paid for it? If you post your photos there, Facebook assumes full ownership of it to do with as they please and you get the middle finger salute for it.
At least the Jeep folks asked to use it. That puts them one level higher than Facebook…in my book.

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
pretty aussies got afew myself. their the velcro twins
Sponsored