Sponsored

Contacted by Jeep Brand -- What would you do?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I wanted to sincerely thank all of my brethren that weighed-in on my inquiry.

My dearest friend ( a Wrangler Rubicon owner) ran it by her estate lawyer... Essentially, the best course of action is to let them have it for social media purposes, and be completely flattered by it. As it pertains to video, or print -- that is a separate discussion.
I once had one of my photos published on an online magazine. I got a hat for it. The hat disintegrated years ago, but the honor & flattery I feel will last my lifetime.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HouseOfWolves

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
People expect a lot in return for aiming their phone at something and tapping the screen these days. Sheesh...
✌

Not necessarily like that -- but ok. Thank you for your perspective nonetheless.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
A multi billion dollar company and they want your image for free. For as long as they want to use it. I’m sorry, but I’d say no. They can offer up something. They are hoping to get it for free, because if they were to get an image from a photographer or a production company they would have to pay royalties.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
✌

Not necessarily like that -- but ok. Thank you for your perspective nonetheless.
That wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I've just never understood how some folks get the idea that a picture that they posted on social media is some big piece of intellectual property that needs to be protected and valued in dollars. If someone is a professional photographer, sure. But the rest of us? Eh...

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
They spend millions to pay people to come up with ideas like the one you shared. They wouldn't have contacted you if they didn't ALREADY know that idea was a winner. You paid them for your jeep. Now it's time for them to pay for your idea. Nothing in life is for free. Start negotiating !!!!

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
They spend millions to pay people to come up with ideas like the one you shared. They wouldn't have contacted you if they didn't ALREADY know that idea was a winner. You paid them for your jeep. Now it's time for them to pay for your idea. Nothing in life is for free. Start negotiating !!!!
To enter into negotiation one needs to come from a point of strength. There's nothing to sell here. The idea of taking a picture of a person and a dog isn't patentable. If he says no they will just move on, and if they really love the idea just use someone else's picture or take their own.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
To enter into negotiation one needs to come from a point of strength. There's nothing to sell here. The idea of taking a picture of a person and a dog isn't patentable. If he says no they will just move on, and if they really love the idea just use someone else's picture or take their own.
Pretty much this. We have expended more effort debating it here than Jeep is going to do in trying to retain this photo for their marketing. There are thousand of other people that will give less resistance to this offer and give them what they want.

Last edited:

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Guess I'm wondering what the big deal is, seems like a lot of gimme, gimme, gimme being put forth here! That said, I'm old, from a few generations past ... guess I'm becoming and old curmudgeon!

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This has happened to me a few times, I always give them permission--its cool to see my Jeep posted on their official 'gram.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I think it matters how they intend to use it. If they are showing genuine owners happy with their vehicles that's one thing. If they are just using it as a generic picture for advertising then they should have to pay for it. Your image is your property so you should have some say in how it is used.

with the increasing use of facial recognition to open and access our most vital electronic gadgets it actually doesMake me think twice before distributing my image.

Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
Woaw so nice 👍🏼.
I think I would answer something like :
From my point of view , yeah feel free to use it . But my dog just said : as soon as you drop a 392 on the driveway you can use it as much as you want

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon Launch Edition Granite Crystal
Occupation
Self employed
But on a serious note I think I will kindly ask them to not associate me to any political topics . No BLM no LGBT.abcdefghi….
Sponsored