Sponsored

Convert the center console USB-A to a USB-C?

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
I looked for a post on this but don’t see any. Anyone know if you can convert the center console USB A to a USB C?

I have an iPhone 12 and apple carplay will only work with the USB C connection. I assume it is because it is high speed? When I use the USB A it connects but then disconnects after 5 minutes or so. Super annoying.

I like the cable route to the phone from the center console better.

Thanks for any input you may have on making the port change to USB C.

Update 9/3/21:
Issue solved. Using the apple supplied usb-C cord and and an adapter to plug into the console USB port solved the disconnecting issue. Glad to know it wasn’t just my phone having this issue. It wasn’t a Jeep issue. It is an apple iPhone 12 issue in that it likes the usbC cord better for whatever reason.

USB-C Female to USB-A Male... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08W2SNQM3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

C3112C56-7C78-4BA9-AB48-FEB308E7143D.jpeg
B9B7C748-336F-4CB6-B9D4-305E40085816.jpeg
84C9A9D4-3030-4C4C-BB9C-658308613849.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Well the USB A near the radio works for apple car play so I would assume it should work in the console if it was actually wired for the radio and not just for charging. Are you using the apple cable that came with the phone?

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I also have an iPhone 12 Pro, I’ve not had had any issues with car play and usb-a…. Unless the JT is fancy somehow.

Edit: just read that the center console is only for charging

OP
OP
2tall

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
Well the USB A near the radio works for apple car play so I would assume it should work in the console if it was actually wired for the radio and not just for charging. Are you using the apple cable that came with the phone?
Yes using the cable that came with the phone. USB C. It does work fine in the dash ISB C I just don’t care to have the wire plugged into the dash. My truck is a MT, window controls are there, etc. Too mush clutter for me.

OP
OP
2tall

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
I also have an iPhone 12 Pro, I’ve not had had any issues with car play and usb-a…. Unless the JT is fancy somehow.

Yea I can only speak to my experience. iPhone X was fine with the USB A. iPhone 12 doesn’t seem to like it in the JT. Switched to USB C no issues.

Curious if any wiring gurus would know what it would take or if it is possible. Not sure if the radio head unit would limit it for some reason.

Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician

I figured as much all of the vehicles that I work on usually just have the one dedicated radio connection.

Jeep Gladiator Convert the center console USB-A to a USB-C? manual

Last edited:
OP
OP
2tall

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
According to my dealership, the ports are USB-C in form factor but not to the backend. No additional speed or power whatsoever.
if this was the case a simple adapter may work…. I may try a cheap adapter from amazon and see if it works.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I figured as much all of the vehicles that I work on usually just have the one dedicated radio connection.

manual.png
Wha...?!?!
The USB port in my center console works with CarPlay, even with a wireless adapter.
I'm using an iPhone 10, so I can't say as to how it'll work with a 12.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have to be careful which port on the back of the console I plug into - one is connected to the radio, and I don't want my phone to connect to the radio for charging only, so I move it to the other port back there.

Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The center console USB connection is not meant to be used with CarPlay as the power to it is lower than the other one on the lower dash

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
My iPhone 12 works ok in the center. Sometimes it freezes or loses feed to head unit but it works fine. I have not tried a usbC yet. I have never used it. I still use the cord from my iPhone X hahaha

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The center console USB connection is not meant to be used with CarPlay as the power to it is lower than the other one on the lower dash
What do you mean the power is lower - it's 5 volts, right? And it's usb 2.0 or 3.0?
I know android auto works with a port on the rear of the console in mine. I've not tried INSIDE the console yet. I figured power was for charging - and that the bus itself determined speed of connection.
USB 2.0 is 1.5 amps
Or maybe you are talking bandwidth - 3.0 being what, 5 gbt/s ?

rhinotx

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I looked for a post on this but don’t see any. Anyone know if you can convert the center console USB A to a USB C?

I have an iPhone 12 and apple carplay will only work with the USB C connection. I assume it is because it is high speed? When I use the USB A it connects but then disconnects after 5 minutes or so. Super annoying.

I like the cable route to the phone from the center console better.

Thanks for any input you may have on making the port change to USB C.
They both work the same on mine with my iPhone 12 Pro. No problems

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I exclusively use the center console port for CarPlay. I used to connect the phone up via the USB cable that came with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I now connect a wireless CarPlay adapter to that very same port so I can just leave my phone in my pocket. No issues.
Sponsored