First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
So I have a couple Coleman stoves. On triple one double burner. Was thinking about converting over to propane. Then building a manifold so each one could operate independently and not as a slave to the main burner. Also have two single burners. But love the idea of the Discada style cook platform. Similar to Tembo Tusk. But they offer a bunch of different styles and sizes. Made in USA I believe New Mexico.
Sponsored

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
So I have a couple Coleman stoves. On triple one double burner. Was thinking about converting over to propane. Then building a manifold so each one could operate independently and not as a slave to the main burner. Also have two single burners. But love the idea of the Discada style cook platform. Similar to Tembo Tusk. But they offer a bunch of different styles and sizes. Made in USA I believe New Mexico.
We've used discada's for years in the Southwest. Tembo and a couple of other companies have taken traditional designs from Northern Mexico (not to be confused with New Mexico) and Africa (in regards to the Tembo) and just made them more portable is all.

However, I got to say the best tacos I've ever had came from the Taco guy and his discada... Seriously, it's like our version of BBQ'ing...

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
We've used discada's for years in the Southwest. Tembo and a couple of other companies have taken traditional designs from Northern Mexico (not to be confused with New Mexico) and Africa (in regards to the Tembo) and just made them more portable is all.

However, I got to say the best tacos I've ever had came from the Taco guy and his discada... Seriously, it's like our version of BBQ'ing...
Yes, the ones I was speaking of are called Southwest grill. www.southwestgrill.com
They look pretty awesome and aren't super expensive.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Those of you using Coleman, are they older models, or recently purchased? A couple years ago I was in the market for a two burner stove and looked at the current Coleman's. In my opinion quality has gone WAY down and I opted for the Camp Chef Everest. To me, if you're looking for the Coleman stove in your memory, go with Camp Chef instead.

Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Well all because of free2roam posting this, my converstion kit for my mint old school coleman stove is on it's way, still won't fit in my kitchen slide out I'm making, but it is getting passed down to my daughters family and perhaps to my grandson Eli some day!
As for you Free2roam your reckless posting on this site has cost me $32 bucks!
THANK YOU!......Jack

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Those of you using Coleman, are they older models, or recently purchased? A couple years ago I was in the market for a two burner stove and looked at the current Coleman's. In my opinion quality has gone WAY down and I opted for the Camp Chef Everest. To me, if you're looking for the Coleman stove in your memory, go with Camp Chef instead.
My Coleman stoves are circa mid 1950s all the way up to the mid 70s have both of my dad's original stoves we used when I was a kid. As well as the lantern. Plus a couple more I couldn't pass up on. Like the triple burner from the 50s for 5.00 at a garage sale.
s-l640.jpg

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Exact one I am looking at picking up. I looked at the Jetboil Basecamp but a lot of people complain they stop working and I only need something small, since it's just two of us. Curious, did you order direct or through their retail partners? I see that they are made to order, thinking it could be a faster turn-around if I tried ordering direct. Also, what size tank do you connect to yours?
I did pick mine up from a distributor that had a few in stock, they had a run of them made for a South Africa outfitter. One thing if you can get one direct have them add extra bars on the grate to make your pan a little more stable, also if you order one direct you can choose what side you want the hose to exit, could be important if you're putting it in a designated spot. Currently I'm using (2) one gallon tanks, they are also called 5 pound tanks but they actually don't hold #5 they hold about #4.2. So another way to look at it is I have about 8 1/2 disposable bottle equivalent.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
:CWL:
Well all because of free2roam posting this, my converstion kit for my mint old school coleman stove is on it's way, still won't fit in my kitchen slide out I'm making, but it is getting passed down to my daughters family and perhaps to my grandson Eli some day!
As for you Free2roam your reckless posting on this site has cost me $32 bucks!
THANK YOU!......Jack
Anytime...:CWL:

ssrgeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURD '21 JTR,
I did pick mine up from a distributor that had a few in stock, they had a run of them made for a South Africa outfitter. One thing if you can get one direct have them add extra bars on the grate to make your pan a little more stable, also if you order one direct you can choose what side you want the hose to exit, could be important if you're putting it in a designated spot. Currently I'm using (2) one gallon tanks, they are also called 5 pound tanks but they actually don't hold #5 they hold about #4.2. So another way to look at it is I have about 8 1/2 disposable bottle equivalent.
Rad, thank you for the info. That was my plan is getting a Worthington or Manchester 5lb. with the single 9" but now I am liking the dual 9" with the split hinge. I will call them tomorrow and see what I can find.

Sponsored

M4Fun

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001 Wrangler Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
My Coleman 2 burner is over 40 years old and yes, i have the conversion kit for it. Heck a few campouts ago actually had to go Coleman fuel as I ran out. Great to have that flexibility.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
So I had a long discussion with my Brother in Law last Saturday about his adventures restoring a Coleman lantern and stove my Dad had passed down to him from his Grandfather. The copper tanks are from a pretty short run of years production. Seals and gas generators are still available. It's pretty cool, and there is such a strong connection to Jeeps mixed in!

My Coleman stoves are circa mid 1950s all the way up to the mid 70s have both of my dad's original stoves we used when I was a kid. As well as the lantern. Plus a couple more I couldn't pass up on. Like the triple burner from the 50s for 5.00 at a garage sale.
Jeep Gladiator Cooking while overlanding. s-l640

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
I lied, it's not even a Coleman. It's an AFC Ranger 2, a bit smaller than an actual Coleman. It has lasted us many years and that is after it lasted someone else for many years!
Jeep Gladiator Cooking while overlanding. IMG_0153.JPG

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have used a Coleman Triton 2 burner stove for the last 4 years and have cooked literally hundreds of meals on it. They can do anything the more expensive stoves do, are very durable and parts can be picked up at almost any Walmart.
For about $70 what’s not to like...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-2-Burner-Stove/44503961

Highwaystar13

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/ Max Tow, 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Business Quality Consultant
We use two methods. The first is the tried and true green Coleman 2 burner stove. We bought a hose adaptor for it so we can use a 20 lbs propane tank with it and don't have to hunt the small bottles down. The other that we use is a 17 inch Blackstone griddle top we picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods. The griddle top allows us more flexibility to cook without having to use pans all the time and the Coleman allows us to boil water easily.
Sponsored