Crazy accident.

rubi2022sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator rubicon 1966 Jeep commando
Occupation
Lawyer
So the other morning on my way to work my gate hit the front passenger tire of gladiator (gate randomly shut as a result of reset of operator by flicker of power). I got out of the car and saw no visible damage to the tire, fender or bumper but the steering wheel was upside down. Took the vehicle in and was told the front transfer case was twisted along with the trailing arm on the passenger side. Overall damage was 6,000.00. Luckily insurance is covering the damage but I am perplexed at how much the cost of the damage is from the front tire being hit at 3-5 miles per hour. My thought was the front end would take more hits on trail compared to this.
Sponsored

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Well that's some BS. There's only one transfer case, and it can't twist from that. What trailing arm? One of the front or rear control arms? Not a chance it twisted from that. They're defrauding your insurance. You just need to loosen the pinch nut on your steering link and twist either clock, or counter clockwise. See if that doesn't fix the steering wheel.

Skip to 30 minutes to see how:

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
You can readjust the steering, but if the steering wheel was straight and now no longer straight while driving straight something has bent. Adjusting with be a bandaid. My guess is your aluminum knuckle is bent, or the tie rod or tie rod end is messed up. To many variables to armchair diagnose. Need to take it to place then understands how things work.

pm4045

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator JT Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the explanation listed about sounds ridiculous, but I also don't think that based on the OPs description an accurate assessment of the damage is possible, a second opinion seems warranted

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Sorry to hear but that's a blind estimate, I'd stay away from that shop. Get a couple of second opinions. The steering wheel out of position tells a steering and/or suspension part is affected, needs to be checked out, even if the truck still drove straight with that wheel off.

And I thought those gates have a self-retracting feature for safety. Seems way too much damage caused, that's a valid question.

Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the shop pers are crazy, not the accident

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
So the other morning on my way to work my gate hit the front passenger tire of gladiator (gate randomly shut as a result of reset of operator by flicker of power). I got out of the car and saw no visible damage to the tire, fender or bumper but the steering wheel was upside down. Took the vehicle in and was told the front transfer case was twisted along with the trailing arm on the passenger side. Overall damage was 6,000.00. Luckily insurance is covering the damage but I am perplexed at how much the cost of the damage is from the front tire being hit at 3-5 miles per hour. My thought was the front end would take more hits on trail compared to this.
Get another opinion. This makes no sense.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I did not see the upside down steering wheel comment before... but I also don't get how the vehicle would drive like that. Usually throws a code if it's mildly out of alignment let alone 180*.
Sponsored