Sponsored

Cross shopping & Ranking the rest of the competition!

JustinS09

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger
You sure you joined the right forum? :CWL:
Honestly, I was solely looking at Ram trucks until I saw the Gladiator. Now I'm pretty torn. I've never owned a Jeep, but love the community (similar to the Mopar/Challenger groups I'm apart of), and I love the open air/convertible feature that the Jeep offers.

I think I want the Jeep more for what I want to use it for vs what I will probably end up using it for. We have a ranch in West Texas, go to the lake, the beach, the river, and tailgate a lot. So, the truck that I get needs to be effective in all of those scenarios. I think they all deliver, but the Rebel and Power Wagon would offer more towing capabilities for a bigger boat or tailgate trailer later.

I'm now questioning if I even want to wait for the diesel. I've been reading more threads over in that section and think it might not be worth it over the gasser.
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
bollinger-b2.jpg
FordBronco6g.jpg
Green-Hellcat-Widebody-Redeye.jpg

1. Bollinger B2
2. Bronco
3. Hellcat Redeye
I saw this and the first thing that came to mind was that @steffen707 tried to photoship plywood onto a JT, but the model of the JT seemed off... very interesting. had not heard about the Bollinger. funky name...

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The only thing I see with close to the capabilities of a Gladiator is
1c295fd1-rzr-xp-4-turbo-s-titanium-metallic.jpg
With a trailer. Ha ha.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I saw this and the first thing that came to mind was that @steffen707 tried to photoship plywood onto a JT, but the model of the JT seemed off... very interesting. had not heard about the Bollinger. funky name...
Shoot, the JT now has formidable competition! :movember:

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I don’t want to spend over 40k before TT&L

1. GMC Crew short bed SLE 4x4 safety and X31 packages
2. Silverado Crew short bed RST Z71, leather, buckets 4x4
3. Tacoma Crew Off Road 4x4 6’ bed, Tech and premium packages
Scratching the Tacoma. Did another test drive and after driving the Sierra and Silverado the ride and comfort level in the Tacoma is terrible compared to the GM twins. GMC Sierra SLT prices have now crept south of 40k and the Silverado RST with bucket seats has hit 36k. Also looking at June/July for the GM diesel to be out. I think I will be able to get a Crew 4x4 Diesel mid-trim level for under 40k. I am going to really have to like the JT Sport S (auto/freedom top, max tow, electronic/convenience, bedliner) to pay the 42k my build is going to run. If this wait carries into June I will likely be rolling in a GM. Seventeen years and 235k miles on my Tahoe with nothing more replaced than a control arm and A/C compressor counts for something as I read the mess of problems with the JL on the Wrangler Forum. I will say that page as well as the 2019 Ram 1500 problems forums are absolutely humiliating for FCA owners. I sold my Ram 1500 and bought a Tundra (Seven years and 70k trouble free miles) after the second wheel flew off going down the highway at 70 MPH from broken studs. Someone needs to clean house on FCA's engineering and quality control side.

Last edited:

Chaimstein

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Punk'n on order, 1965 Pontiac 2+2
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to the forum and I have driven the competition. I have a Scion FR-S coming off lease in July, so I will need another vehicle by then. I love driving a sports car, but in the last couple of years I got the off roading bug because of some week long trips through the West and Southwest including the week of April 6 - 14. My daughter and I went through the Moab area into New Mexico and then to the Grand Canyon. We covered 4000 miles and did some off roading in a rented POS Hyundai Tucson. Although the AWD in the Tucson in surprising good, it isn't a vehicle I would ever want to drive again.

I retired last year, so I don't need to drive to work. My first plan was to buy a 1990s Cherokee that is cheap, decent and suitable to make into a wheeler. The flaws in this plan are finding a decent example and, although I have restored a car before, I like driving them more than I like working on them anymore.

So I decided that getting a 4x4 pickup would be great. Pickups are very useful and we already have an SUV. My wife has a beloved 2016 Ford Escape which she hates to even get dirty. So, I started looking at mid-size pickups back in February.

There were only two contenders then. The Toyota Taco and the new Ford Ranger. Both are available with factory rear lockers and various 4Ă—4 trims.

I liked the Ranger which I tried first. It's a nice truck and I am sure it would work well. Then I drove the Taco and it was nice too. I even got down to negotiations on the Tacoma (we can get you in this truck today!) But neither truck excited me at all. I walked away from the deal not because it was a bad deal, but because if I am going to spend that much on a vehicle I was it to feel great

Then I saw a picture of the Gladiator. The Jeep "sucked all the air from the room" as I told the Ford salesman who emailed me last week. I had already considered a Wrangler JL Unlimited, so I was very familiar with all its features. But the JL is a SUV which we already own. The Gladiator is the only one I want now.

After a week driving around the Southwest, I resolved that next year I would take my wife to Moab for EJS in some kind of Jeep, almost certainly a Gladiator. I can't wait.

Sorry for the length.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I'm new to the forum and I have driven the competition. I have a Scion FR-S coming off lease in July, so I will need another vehicle by then. I love driving a sports car, but in the last couple of years I got the off roading bug because of some week long trips through the West and Southwest including the week of April 6 - 14. My daughter and I went through the Moab area into New Mexico and then to the Grand Canyon. We covered 4000 miles and did some off roading in a rented POS Hyundai Tucson. Although the AWD in the Tucson in surprising good, it isn't a vehicle I would ever want to drive again.

I retired last year, so I don't need to drive to work. My first plan was to buy a 1990s Cherokee that is cheap, decent and suitable to make into a wheeler. The flaws in this plan are finding a decent example and, although I have restored a car before, I like driving them more than I like working on them anymore.

So I decided that getting a 4x4 pickup would be great. Pickups are very useful and we already have an SUV. My wife has a beloved 2016 Ford Escape which she hates to even get dirty. So, I started looking at mid-size pickups back in February.

There were only two contenders then. The Toyota Taco and the new Ford Ranger. Both are available with factory rear lockers and various 4Ă—4 trims.

I liked the Ranger which I tried first. It's a nice truck and I am sure it would work well. Then I drove the Taco and it was nice too. I even got down to negotiations on the Tacoma (we can get you in this truck today!) But neither truck excited me at all. I walked away from the deal not because it was a bad deal, but because if I am going to spend that much on a vehicle I was it to feel great

Then I saw a picture of the Gladiator. The Jeep "sucked all the air from the room" as I told the Ford salesman who emailed me last week. I had already considered a Wrangler JL Unlimited, so I was very familiar with all its features. But the JL is a SUV which we already own. The Gladiator is the only one I want now.

After a week driving around the Southwest, I resolved that next year I would take my wife to Moab for EJS in some kind of Jeep, almost certainly a Gladiator. I can't wait.

Sorry for the length.
Welcome to the forum man! That was a good read.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO

Sorry for the length.
Seeing this truck made me feel like a giddy teenager again. It's litteraly like a breath if fresh air for the truck industry. Welcome to the forums

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...I liked the Ranger which I tried first. It's a nice truck and I am sure it would work well. Then I drove the Taco and it was nice too. I even got down to negotiations on the Tacoma (we can get you in this truck today!) But neither truck excited me at all. I walked away from the deal not because it was a bad deal, but because if I am going to spend that much on a vehicle I was it to feel great...
Re-quoted (again) for Truth!
Welcome aboard - another one who 'Gets it' :like:

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was out yesterday, checking if our dealer had gotten a Gladiator on the lot yet. No luck. I went to the Ford dealer next door to drool over a Raptor (because they are drool worthy) but instead stared down a Ranger Lariat for a bit. It was $41K with an FX4 package. Not a bad looking truck either.
https://www.longmontford.com/invent...-lariat-4wd-crew-cab-pickup-1fter4fh5kla20293

So it's MSRP was $44K with an advertised prices of $41100. It's amazing how expensive trucks in general have gotten. But this is still cheaper than a Gladiator at MSRP. But then you've got to add the Fox shocks, 35" tires would require a lift, there is only a rear e-locker, rock sliders, etc., etc., etc. The more closely you look at it, the more reasonable the Gladiator's price looks IMO.

IMO that only vehicle out there that is a genuine competitor in capability and pricing is the Raptor but that's only when you get the Gladiator to the top of it's equipment list. Even then MSRP on the Raptor can get above $80K. Also, IMO, in a few months you'll be able to negotiate a good deal on a Gladiator. That's not happening on a Raptor. Most dealers in my area are either still selling at MSRP or higher.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Don't let that global ranger sucker you. They will have an all-new Ranger out in 2021 right after the Bronco. It's already in the design stages. The current Ranger has been out globally since 2011 with exception of the powertrain which was designed for NA applications. The new one they are building will have the 2.7 eco as an option as well as a Raptor trim level. I am sure the back seats will fold flat and up, lol.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't let that global ranger sucker you. They will have an all-new Ranger out in 2021 right after the Bronco. It's already in the design stages. The current Ranger has been out globally since 2011 with exception of the powertrain which was designed for NA applications. The new one they are building will have the 2.7 eco as an option as well as a Raptor trim level. I am sure the back seats will fold flat and up, lol.
I totally believe this. It would also be a good reason that Ford didn't bring the Raptor Ranger to the US.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
All above true. We are here because Jeep. There is no other. I'd love to drive a unimog daily, that thing is kick ass. but will be a Jeep guy as always. Almost bought a ram before, so I get it. Jeep Jeep Jeep. Lol
Sponsored