Sponsored

What's the competition got the Gladiator doesn't?

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' JTM, 22' JTR, 22' F56S,
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lockheed Martin ASW Test Technician
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had the privilege of trying out other midsize pickups on the market. Ranger, Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado/Canyon. And TBH, other than the two big points i hear from most, handling and FCA/Stellantis QC. Handling being subjective imo. Is there anything the competition does that the gladiator doesn't? Out of all the trucks ive used, to me the gladiator has an unfair edge imo. a do it all light truck by weekday, an offroad beast by weekend. However it isn't exaclty flying of the shelves compared to tacos and rangers. So with that in mind. Hows the mileage faired for you between your gladiator and other midsizes you have experience with?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road.

Things the Tacoma had I wish my Gladiator has:
  1. A power rear slider window. I have a dog; I wish I could open the rear slider with the flip of a switch
  2. A composite bed. Tacoma's bed doesn't rust or need a bedliner, and is lighter.
Things I am glad to have on my Gladiator:
  1. The 8-speed automatic is just awesome; the 6-speed auto on my Tacoma was trash. The Chrysler transmission is always in the right gear; the Toyota transmission was always in the wrong gear. Where the Chrysler transmission is smart, quick and refined, the Toyota transmission was stupid, slow and abrupt.
  2. Similarly, I much prefer the Chrysler 3.6 V6 to the Toyota 3.5 V6. The 3.5 V6 in my Tacoma was always making strange noises, shudders, and wheezing for air
  3. Jeep's BLD works much more inconspicuously, seamlessly and quietly than Toyota's Crawl Control. The Toyota system worked well but was annoying as hell!
  4. Gladiator has much more comfortable front and rear seats
One thing that always impressed me about my Tacoma was the solid feel of the assembly; the truck felt like a vault.

I have only owned my Gladiator one month, but so far I am very impressed with the assembly quality as well. This Jeep feels so much better put together than my 2018 JL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road.

Things the Tacoma had I wish my Gladiator has:
  1. A power rear slider window. I have a dog; I wish I could open the rear slider with the flip of a switch
  2. A composite bed. Tacoma's bed doesn't rust or need a bedliner, and is lighter.
Things I am glad to have on my Gladiator:
  1. The 8-speed automatic is just awesome; the 6-speed auto on my Tacoma was trash. Where the Chrysler transmission is smart, quick and refined, the Toyota transmission was stupid, slow and abrupt. The Chrysler transmission is always in the right gear; the Toyota transmission was always in the wrong gear
  2. Similarly, I much prefer the Chrysler 3.6 V6 than that Toyota 3.5 V6. The 3.5 V6 in my Tacoma was always making strange noises, shudders, and wheezing for air
  3. Jeep's BLD works much more inconspicuously, seamlessly and quietly than Toyota's Crawl Control. The Toyota system worked well but was annoying as hell!
  4. Gladiator has much more comfortable front and rear seats
One thing that always impressed me about my Tacoma was the solid feel of the build. The truck felt like a vault.

I have only owned my Gladiator one month, but so far I am very impressed with the assembly quality as well. This Jeep feels to much better put together than my 2018 JL.
I agree that the hard top should definitely have a power rear window. However the composite bed was lost on me as soon as i cracked my buddy's strapping down his motorcycle in the bed. Your mechanical points on the gladiator, hell yes, i love how seamless it all is.

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo 4 cylinders w/ more power.
you got me there, i wish they offered the turbo 4 like the wrangler. I'll be 6.4 hemi swapping to keep up with the new competition. taco V6 sucks tho imo. as does the colorado. frontier was surprisingly peppy.

Sponsored

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
taco V6 sucks tho imo. as does the colorado.
As far as the competition goes, none of the competition (aside from the Frontier) has a V6 now. All of the new midsize trucks (GM Twins, Ranger, Taco) have boosted four cylinders. So, if going back in time I'd agree that the Pentastar is better than the Taco, comparable to the V6 that was in the GM twins and the Frontier (though on paper its weaker than both of those), and lagging behind the turbo motor in the Ranger. Going forward, the Gladiator is simply 'behind' all except the Frontier.

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the competition goes, none of the competition (aside from the Frontier) has a V6 now. All of the new midsize trucks (GM Twins, Ranger, Taco) have boosted four cylinders. So, if going back in time I'd agree that the Pentastar is better than the Taco, comparable to the V6 that was in the GM twins and the Frontier (though on paper its weaker than both of those), and lagging behind the turbo motor in the Ranger. Going forward, the Gladiator is simply 'behind' all except the Frontier.
i agree with that if we are just talkin motors.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The competition offers a truck, not a Jeep with a bed.

Not everyone likes the Wrangler styling (shocking!). So when they see the Gladiator, they think, "ok, a Jeep with a bed. What's the point?" Because people are lazy and won't read up on the product.

Toyota has brand name longevity.
Chevy makes trucks big, medium, and small. No problem with product identification.
Nissan has brand name longevity.
Ford - Mother-f**king Ford Ranger!!! Although I don't see many offroad or setup for offroading.
Jeep - A Wrangler with a bed.

johnchabin

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR, 1993 FD3S
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve owned a lot of different vehicles, currently a 4Runner and until last week a Tundra (the Gladiator replaced it). I had a 2WD Toyota pickup in the early 90s, too.

I think few manufacturers match Toyota’s reliability.

Subaru was the worst for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The competition offers a truck, not a Jeep with a bed.

Not everyone likes the Wrangler styling (shocking!). So when they see the Gladiator, they think, "ok, a Jeep with a bed. What's the point?" Because people are lazy and won't read up on the product.

Toyota has brand name longevity.
Chevy makes trucks big, medium, and small. No problem with product identification.
Nissan has brand name longevity.
Ford - Mother-f**king Ford Ranger!!! Although I don't see many offroad or setup for offroading.
Jeep - A Wrangler with a bed.
fair points. I will state if a vehicle is the sum of its parts the gladiator is the most robust. I only say this cus as soon as you leave the pavement, lets just say i spend more time fixing toyota front suspension and driveline failures on trail rather than actual wheeling. or at least thats what it feels like 😅. Every toyota ive wheeled, taco,4R and tundra. I always felt like i had to over baby it on technical stuff cus if you hit or dropped a little to hard you'd be driving home with your steering wheel sideways and and alignment shop would want 300 bucks to set it back straight and then tell you they couldn't sort camber or caster so F your tires. Plus if you don't use OE or built tierod end or CVs they snap like pretzel sticks under duress. I imagine this is an issue with Ford and Nissan as well. Bronco being no exception. Jeeps aren't bulletproof by any means, but it seems to take more shit before suffering a failure.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The JT is also more expensive and doesn’t come without 4wd, how may companies purchase Tacos or Frontiers for fleet vehicles that don’t require 4WD?

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve owned a lot of different vehicles, currently a 4Runner and until last week a Tundra (the Gladiator replaced it). I had a 2WD Toyota pickup in the early 90s, too.

I think few manufacturers match Toyota’s reliability.

Subaru was the worst for me.
toyota does have the market on reliability. but i feel its more from lack of change. Cant be broke if you don't change what works. I also feel like Toyota gets a pass for thier shortcomings more than anyone else. Frame rust on thier trucks, snapping timing belts, SAIS issues, bending rear axles, etc. untouched and left on pavement, toyota will outlive you. As soon as decide u just want 33s and a level, oh boy thats a can of worms. Even land cruisers have issues. My experience with toyotas stateside has kinda showed me one thing. It aint a 70 series and i wish it was. I feel like other manufactures are starting to catch up or Toyota is dropping the ball.

OP
OP
PuddleJumper

PuddleJumper

First Name
Cortlund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The JT is also more expensive and doesn’t come without 4wd, how may companies purchase Tacos or Frontiers for fleet vehicles that don’t require 4WD?
fleet vehicle definitely doesn't make sense for a gladiator. u have a point there.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Gladiator does not do well if one is to chart and graph it against the other vehicles in the mid size segment and your primary goal is A to B daily transportation.

Frame the question as a lifestyle vehicle and it outshines them all.

With the Gladiator, you join a community and not just be another anonymous tin can going down the road. You gain a aftermarket support that eclipses the others many a fold over. I have more confidence of there being a robust support platform of this vehicle 20+ years down the line than anything else.

Lastly, the cost and ease to mod is unmatched by anything else with most of it being driveway doable by the average home mechanical skill set.
Sponsored

Last edited: