Curt Spectrum Brake Controller Installed

tweak89

First Name
Leroy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2002 Thunderbird
This past weekend I installed a Curt Spectrum trailer brake controller in my Max Tow equipped Sport S. I went back and forth between the Redarc and Curt controllers since they both offer a more "factory" look compared to your garden variety knee bashing standard brake controllers. I ultimately chose the Curt since it gives you a little more versatility for installation since it can be flush mounted with no hoies or with two 5/16" holes.

Here is what comes with the controller: The rotary knob, two adaptor plates, the main module, double sided tape, wiring adaptor and a installation screw/sleeve. I also order the Curt 51459 harness adaptor (not shown).

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 6.14.10 PM.png

Installation is pretty straightforward. I chose to install it in place of the 12v outlet for a factory look. I used the adaptor plate with the holes (shown separately above) over the surface mount (shown already installed onto the knob above).

Here is a YOUTUBE VIDEO that details removal of the dash panels. Removal of the 12V outlet is a bit of a pain, HERE is a thread that covers that discussion.

I used the double sided tape to secure the controller knob over the hole left by the 12v socket removal. The module itself I placed behind the removable panel under the steering wheel.

Here is the finished product:

68583519_1328734737285516_5959100031792316416_n.jpg

Setup is very simple and the LED array lights up in different colors to let you know what you are setting up (white for brightness, green for amount of brake, purple for sensitivity. Red LEDS light up when using it in manual mode and when applying the brake when a trailer is attached (as you depress the brake the LEDS light up in succession based on your settings).

Took it out for a spin with my 3500lb 19' travel trailer and it gets the job done. Cost was just a bit over $200 on Amazon. E-trailer has them a bit cheaper, but It was a Prime item and opted for faster delivery.

Highly recommended!
Sponsored

Last edited:

giskard

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW i3s
Thanks a lot for the info! This is definitely the best aftermarket brake controller I've seen. Almost looks like a factory install.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Thanks for the links. Need to install a brake controller for our travel trailer, pulling the new dash panels apart is always a mystery. The LJ and Jk were pretty simple, that and I’m not worried about scratching them any longer.

Skullmaster

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.usaoilsplus.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator w/max tow, 2017 Jeep JKU, 1960 Morris Mini Minor, 1964 Austin Mini Pickup, 1969 M35A2 (Deuce and a half), 1998 Chevy S10, 2012 Scion XB, 2013 Dodge dart
Occupation
Welder, Industrial Maintence
did you have to swap wires or install a diode with the harness you used?

Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
On mine I ordered it a while back and used a dodge ram harness then swapped the two wires to match jeep wiring. I placed mine in a different spot.

20200103_183833.jpg
I really like this set-up the best. I think this is what I plan to do too, even the placement seems good to me. I've been eyeing that spot and imagining it there.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Leroy
I have a few questions for you about your brake controller, so now that you have had it for some time how is it working out? Did you have to change around any of the wires? Had any problems with it?
7 May 20... Update: I'm went with Curt brake controller, they have one out for JT/JL models direct fit no wires to change around. Adding a few photos, after all trouble I had to find the plug-in. Off to the left and above of the off-white plug and taped down to it's wiring.
Jeep Gladiator Curt Spectrum Brake Controller Installed IMG_20200507_162949

IMG_20200507_163026.jpg

Last edited:

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. I dig the look of the 12volt plug but need the plug so I’ll be going with @ucijeepguy solution. My tandem access ATV trailer is coming soon. This is why I love this forum.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else having issues with the Curt controller? I have this same controller in my JTR and seem to get feedback causing error lights on the controller. Random different lights sometimes get stuck on as well. I have read somewhere that others have said it may be the feedback from the radar cruise control sending a brake signal. Not sure. The controlled seems to work when connected to my travel trailer but is annoying when it lights up randomly other times.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my install. Got the Curt Gladiator specific harness. Very easy.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my install. Got the Curt Gladiator specific harness. Very easy.
i have the same harness I think. What’s the part number for your harness? Do you have radar cruise control or automatic braking?

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i have the same harness I think. What’s the part number for your harness? Do you have radar cruise control or automatic braking?
No radar cruise or auto braking for me. Part number for harness is in the video.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else having issues with the Curt controller? I have this same controller in my JTR and seem to get feedback causing error lights on the controller. Random different lights sometimes get stuck on as well. I have read somewhere that others have said it may be the feedback from the radar cruise control sending a brake signal. Not sure. The controlled seems to work when connected to my travel trailer but is annoying when it lights up randomly other times.
Someone reported in another thread that Curt updated their controller to fix an issue with random lights on the knob. Error lights on the dash are frequently from the harness missing a diode. The Curt harness for the Gladiator is 51527.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I continue to have the same issues and Curt doesn't seem willing to resolve it. I guess I will give in soon and order the stock Mopar controller before camping season starts this year. I am concerned that there is some issue when the knob lights up and sticks. Also concerned as it is now more frequent that it was in the past and at times stays on after the Jeep is parked and turned off.
Sponsored