Sponsored

Daves updated small pulley tune...

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just want to publicly say thanks to Dave for this update! My JT runs as smooth as stock, better low end zip it feels! Only have way through my first tank on this update, but mpg seems to be better than the last update.
Anyone else done this update yet, and thoughts?
Sponsored

vmiaptetr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 20 Expy Max, 96 Viper GTS
I'd be right there with you if it wasn't for this GD GPEC5 holding things up.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Stop it CMB! Just stop!!!!! :LOL:

You're making me inch closer and close to the "Dave" side.... Trying ot put couple 1000 miles on the maggi before doing anything more.

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Stop it CMB! Just stop!!!!! :LOL:

You're making me inch closer and close to the "Dave" side.... Trying ot put couple 1000 miles on the maggi before doing anything more.
Do it! I bought a used kit and went straight with Dave’s tune. Can’t compare to what you get with the purchase, but I’ve read enough to say this the only way to go!!
Jeep literally drives like stock, only much more power if need be!

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
For those who have a maggie, but are still on the original pulley, it is time to pulley down.

I have had my Maggie installed for almost a year. It was good with Dave's tune on the original pulley, but everything is better with the smaller pulley! I have been on the small pulley tunes for about a month, and I would not go back unless Dave insisted for some reason. It is butter smooth. All of the sudden surges and odd behaviors disappeared with the small pulley and tune.

My truck loves boost, it never runs better than when it is in boost. With the small pulley tune, after the first hundred miles or so everything smoothed out. This thing is smoother than factory ever was. Low end torque appears early. At 1500 RPM I just idle down the road, and nothing phases the truck. Boost is available early and often, but my MPG actually improved from what I was getting with the regular pulley. Not much, but 1/2 MPG is still improved.

The investment is about $120 in parts, keep your old parts and if you aren't thrilled roll it back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cmb396

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For those who have a maggie, but are still on the original pulley, it is time to pulley down.

I have had my Maggie installed for almost a year. It was good with Dave's tune on the original pulley, but everything is better with the smaller pulley! I have been on the small pulley tunes for about a month, and I would not go back unless Dave insisted for some reason. It is butter smooth. All of the sudden surges and odd behaviors disappeared with the small pulley and tune.

My truck loves boost, it never runs better than when it is in boost. With the small pulley tune, after the first hundred miles or so everything smoothed out. This thing is smoother than factory ever was. Low end torque appears early. At 1500 RPM I just idle down the road, and nothing phases the truck. Boost is available early and often, but my MPG actually improved from what I was getting with the regular pulley. Not much, but 1/2 MPG is still improved.

The investment is about $120 in parts, keep your old parts and if you aren't thrilled roll it back.
Since I posted this, Dave sent another update that is SPOT ON for me! Like you said, smooth as butter, and power everywhere!
I went with small y pulley from the get go, so can’t compare, but this set up is awesome!
Getting around 15mpg on 39’s too.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
I h8 you both. :brokenhearted:

Sigh, can I start a gofund me for all the $ this place costs me?

:CWL:

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
@DAVECS1 , maybe mine just needs the pulley?????
I wish it was that easy, the 2020 guys have it made, everything in HP works. 2021 not so much. There are literally 1000s of hours in the small pulley tune, and all of the changes are needed to keep it safe. Running a small pulley wothout much data, is a significant risk as the engine is not that robust agains a true detonation or back fire. It literally only takes one event to crack a ring land. When I told Magnuson what I was doing they swore up and down it was not safe and I would blow up my engine in short order. I did the math about a bazillion times and was pretty confident. I put my pulley on and turns out I did the math right.

With that said there is one person running a manual jeep, 2021, with small pulley successfully. I let him know the risks upfront and he said he was willing to test and supply data. It needed some tweeks bit it is up and running and getting hours.

I asked HP Tuners for the ability to overwrite new OS with an older one and got no response. I don't think they understand the VIN and security stuff, and to be fair I have no idea either.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Dave is it all 21’s that is not compatible or just the later models where Jeep started fussing w the operating system?

your regular tune is good for the early 21’s correct?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Dave is it all 21’s that is not compatible or just the later models where Jeep started fussing w the operating system?

your regular tune is good for the early 21’s correct?
Josh, I wish I could tell you with confidence early 2021s are safe. For a while I thought anything before April 2021 was safe, but I have had two in the last two weeks that had issues with tables missing and incorrectly defined parameters in HP Tuners.

I do a build and bench test before I charge. It wnsure the Outputs and messaging are doing the correct thing. What I found last week is that now the transmission files have changed. I did not have a test for those as I assumed those had no need to update operating systems. So I have begun work on that and have had a discussion with HP.

The positive news. I have been trying some earlier tunes, I developed using the stock Jeep Transmission tuning, just modifies to work better. Today's tunes have a transmission files I have mostly developed from the ground up with dyno work and lots of road testing and data aquisition. The problem is the torque management I rely on to keep things safe and smooth, is not defined in HP correctly for the 202@ machines. Using my older jeep trans tune without heavy modification to the torque management seems to be working and keep unexpected behaviors and sharp take offs from happening.

The draw back is, the jeep trans tube does not utilize the newfound torque, to pull higher gears. This gives you a fuel hit, and the ride is not as smooth, as it is always cycling through gears.

My changes to the jeep trans tune, are based around drawing out third gear to help transitional torque around corners and in start stop, so the supercharger is not lighting the wick, on 1st and second gear.

Long story longer, I have a potential tune that will work for all 2021, but it is significantly different from the 2020 machines, and we are not to small pulley yet, I will need a tester with a wideband 02 for that to happen.
Sponsored