Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Reconnected the negative terminals, tried the remote and it works! Got in the truck and it starts!

But... why? What's that tell us about why it happened?
It's difficult to say why. It could be a one time glitch, and it could be a sign of things to come. Check the fuse box to ensure that all the fuses and relays are seated.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I will poke through later. More pressing question is why it forgot the remotes and if I can reliably drive it today
It didn't forget the remotes, since it's working again. Most likely is that module stopped listening or stopped responding to input. Hopefully, it was a one time issue that was reset with the reboot.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
There's an easier way to reset the ECM without unplugging the batteries.

-open hood and leave open for at least 20 minutes

-put key fob in pocket so it "learns" your body temperature

-go out under hood and pull key for from pocket

- place hand with keyfob over battery at a distance of 6-7" inches above battery.

-now follow this part exactly and carefully: carefully make circle motions(clockwise) with keyfob hand 6-7"s above battery while saying the following, "jeep primary user request for system reset".

If you did everything right you will hear a female uconnect voice say, "user request granted, system restarting captain".

If you did something wrong like hold your hand too low or high above battery or wave it in a counter clockwise motion, the uconnect voice will say, "system sequence unauthorized, going into safe mode"

At that point your jeep gladiator will send a distress signal to Toledo and the doors and tailgate will lock. All 4 windows will open approximately 1/4" and the stereo will come on and play nickelback in a loop until the vehicle is reset by an authorized user. You will probably have to call the dealer to get them out because they are the only ones with the reset codes.

Be careful and take your time. This is way easier than disconnecting both batteries.
F8E2BD9D-56ED-420F-AB81-C59020C4582C.jpeg

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
It didn't forget the remotes, since it's working again. Most likely is that module stopped listening or stopped responding to input. Hopefully, it was a one time issue that was reset with the reboot.
Would make sense. What module listens for the remotes, or is it part of the ECU?

Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
wonder if the ecu would have responded to jscan and been able to restart ecu's with out messing with the battery?

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
Also my kid had 5 at bats vs 2 teams +1 years. Double, Single, 2 BB, lineout. 3 RBI. Games were a success.
thats always a win win, miss those days with the kiddo!

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Will leave like this and go walk the dog

Jeep Gladiator Dead Gladiator F8E2BD9D-56ED-420F-AB81-C59020C4582C
FYI, if you need to do this again, you can leave the battery sensor connected to the battery terminal and just disconnect the 2 cables. I have seen this reported on JLs as a one time occurrence, but have not heard an explanation for it.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Facing having to recharge/jump-start my Gladiator. But then I have not driven it since January 4th, had shoulder surgery on the 5th and only recently could drive again. Tried connecting the charger up to the main batter and just got electronics going haywire, windshield wiper moving even though the wiper is turned off, etc. Then started digging into how to jump-start/recharge and only to find out that the big battery actually is not the one that starts the vehicle, it is the secondary battery. Could not quite get it charge far enough by the time it got dark and started raining again. Will work on charging again tomorrow.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Facing having to recharge/jump-start my Gladiator. But then I have not driven it since January 4th, had shoulder surgery on the 5th and only recently could drive again. Tried connecting the charger up to the main batter and just got electronics going haywire, windshield wiper moving even though the wiper is turned off, etc. Then started digging into how to jump-start/recharge and only to find out that the big battery actually is not the one that starts the vehicle, it is the secondary battery. Could not quite get it charge far enough by the time it got dark and started raining again. Will work on charging again tomorrow.
The main battery does drive the starter. The aux battery is there for supplying electronics when the ESS is engaged at a stop. If that battery gets low or goes bad, those components can/will malfunction. Both need to be ok. The aux drives the smarts, the main provides the heavy current for the starter motor.

if the batteries are dead after a long period of n0 recharge, it is a good idea to charge for a while without the key fob around. This keeps the truck from “waking up” and gives time for charge to build. Then disconnect the negative cables as described to ensure a good reset / power up for all the modules.

good luck

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The main battery does drive the starter. The aux battery is there for supplying electronics when the ESS is engaged at a stop. If that battery gets low or goes bad, those components can/will malfunction. Both need to be ok. The aux drives the smarts, the main provides the heavy current for the starter motor.

if the batteries are dead after a long period of n0 recharge, it is a good idea to charge for a while without the key fob around. This keeps the truck from “waking up” and gives time for charge to build. Then disconnect the negative cables as described to ensure a good reset / power up for all the modules.

good luck
Interesting because Brandon Haneline (formaly known as JeepInformant) did a little experiment where he disconnected the aux batter and the Jeep would not start, then he reconnected the aux while disconnecting the main and the Jeep started up.

Either way, I need to get both charged up, that I agree with you on. Problem is getting both charged up which apparently means I need to hook the positive cable to the N1 or N2 point in the fuse box in order to get the aux battery charged.
Sponsored