OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Interesting because Brandon Haneline (formaly known as JeepInformant) did a little experiment where he disconnected the aux batter and the Jeep would not start, then he reconnected the aux while disconnecting the main and the Jeep started up.

Either way, I need to get both charged up, that I agree with you on. Problem is getting both charged up which apparently means I need to hook the positive cable to the N1 or N2 point in the fuse box in order to get the aux battery charged.
why wouldnt the aux just charge in line with the primary?

I dont think my issue is battery related as simply rebooting the computers solved it.
Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Interesting because Brandon Haneline (formaly known as JeepInformant) did a little experiment where he disconnected the aux batter and the Jeep would not start, then he reconnected the aux while disconnecting the main and the Jeep started up.

Either way, I need to get both charged up, that I agree with you on. Problem is getting both charged up which apparently means I need to hook the positive cable to the N1 or N2 point in the fuse box in order to get the aux battery charged.
Both batteries will charge from a charger connected to the main battery. Some do like to disconnect the negative battery cables and charge each battery separately.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Also my kid had 5 at bats vs 2 teams +1 years. Double, Single, 2 BB, lineout. 3 RBI. Games were a success.
My kid plays club ball too. So much better than Little League. He had 5 games this weekend and they ended up coming in 2nd in the tournament. The team that beat them in the final had lost to them in the game right before.

So goes baseball

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
My kid plays club ball too. So much better than Little League. He had 5 games this weekend and they ended up coming in 2nd in the tournament. The team that beat them in the final had lost to them in the game right before.

So goes baseball
Oh yeah for sure, no more little league for us. We're 9u majors, going to the Perfect Game National Invitational in Florida this July. Being in NorCal has been tough to get to the official stuff that's happening in Vegas and AZ. We did go to Vegas in Nov though. The SoCal teams get into Vegas and Phoenix a lot easier.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Oh yeah for sure, no more little league for us. We're 9u majors, going to the Perfect Game National Invitational in Florida this July. Being in NorCal has been tough to get to the official stuff that's happening in Vegas and AZ. We did go to Vegas in Nov though. The SoCal teams get into Vegas and Phoenix a lot easier.
Yeah I'm from the Bay originally so it's a haul to get down here. I feel very fortunate that my kids are able to play

My son is in 10U AAA so the two teams would probably be a good match for each other. Good luck man!

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Snipoe:

Yes, you can charge separately if you want to do that but....

To charge BOTH the Main and Aux batteries on your JL at the same time, just hook up the battery maintainer/tender's cables to the pos and neg of the Main battery... Do this and BOTH batteries will be charged/maintained..

Remember to keep in mind..... that the same high amp output battery maintainer , that shines lets say, for your large, Main battery (AGM) can raise utter havoc with the little 12 Ah 200 CCA, battery(AGM). It is very Important to remember this... if you plan to hook up the battery maintainer to the Main's pos and negative terminals and thus impacting both the Main and little Aux.

In regard to charging maintaining the JT's stock dual battery set-up...... a little 1.25 amp battery tender, maintainer.. (most any decent brand battery, maintainer/tender) is more prudent to use, versus a higher amp unit..

The 1.25 output maintainer/tender, is not going to harm that little Aux battery but it will charge it and will also charge the big Main battery... Sure, a 1.25 amp unit will take a while to do the deed, but at least your little Aux will not be impacted negatively.
Never had a car so difficult to jump start. I put the charger (a somewhat old Diehard charger from Sears purchased circa 2003 - which worked on another car recently) in slow 2a charge mode on the pos/neg terminals but the charger only gets to a certain point and stops charging - a point less than 50%. Don't know if the dual battery is confusing it or not. I then tried putting the charger into jump start mode and after it charged up for it, I tried starting and all I got was lights gone wild. And my windshield wiper moving even though it is turned off.

I have tried just connecting to the aux battery - lots of clicking going on. But don't get that if I have the main battery connected along with it.

Update - I went and purchased a battery charger/maintainer that works in the 2A range - hopefully it being new and specifically for slow charging will be what was needed.

Last edited:

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
why wouldnt the aux just charge in line with the primary?

I dont think my issue is battery related as simply rebooting the computers solved it.
A faulty battery (or any power supply) can leave electronic modules confused. A reset will clear those if the power supply is good when the reset is done. The root cause of the module confusion is not possible to determine from afar. The single most common problem reported has been the batteries, so that is the most likely culprit.

it is not surprising the aux battery ‘can’ start the truck. That little motorcycle battery is stronger than my little USB chargeable emergency jump start unit which has sorted my truck when the batteris were dead after sitting for too long. The aux would not hold up to normal start/stops running our errands to the grocery store, then hardware store, then a sammich...

it certainly could be another problem but deeper diagnosis from forum posts is really not that doable.

Good luck in isolating your trouble.

OP
OP
j.o.y.ride

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
A faulty battery (or any power supply) can leave electronic modules confused. A reset will clear those if the power supply is good when the reset is done. The root cause of the module confusion is not possible to determine from afar. The single most common problem reported has been the batteries, so that is the most likely culprit.

it is not surprising the aux battery ‘can’ start the truck. That little motorcycle battery is stronger than my little USB chargeable emergency jump start unit which has sorted my truck when the batteris were dead after sitting for too long. The aux would not hold up to normal start/stops running our errands to the grocery store, then hardware store, then a sammich...

it certainly could be another problem but deeper diagnosis from forum posts is really not that doable.

Good luck in isolating your trouble.
Appreciate it.

Would a bad aux battery stop the car from operating if the main is ok? Or just cause this intermittent sort of thing? Need to drive to Fresno this weekend and deciding to take the truck or my sedan.

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Put the truck in park and step on the brake, lol.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Appreciate it.

Would a bad aux battery stop the car from operating if the main is ok? Or just cause this intermittent sort of thing? Need to drive to Fresno this weekend and deciding to take the truck or my sedan.
Yes it can. There are noted cases where the dash went nuts and the vehicle stopped running and left folks on the side of the road. BUT, that really depends on the nature of the battery failure. A battery that is just a little weak won’t likely do that. I’ve had one develop an internal short which can render it useless immediately. The catastrophIC failures are rarer today than what I observed 30 years ago.

I won’t recommend any decision but will share my thinking. If the truck has been reliable since the reset and the trip was not for some critical medical procedure or million dollar lottery claim, I’d pack a jump start unit and travel for the adventure. Take the tools you need to do the reset if needed.

if the trip is critical, then take a vehicle that is least problematic. Either way, get the truck to your dealer when possible to have them check your batteries.

Anything can break so there are no guarantees.

safe travels.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
There's an easier way to reset the ECM without unplugging the batteries.

-open hood and leave open for at least 20 minutes

-put key fob in pocket so it "learns" your body temperature

-go out under hood and pull key for from pocket

- place hand with keyfob over battery at a distance of 6-7" inches above battery.

-now follow this part exactly and carefully: carefully make circle motions(clockwise) with keyfob hand 6-7"s above battery while saying the following, "jeep primary user request for system reset".

If you did everything right you will hear a female uconnect voice say, "user request granted, system restarting captain".

If you did something wrong like hold your hand too low or high above battery or wave it in a counter clockwise motion, the uconnect voice will say, "system sequence unauthorized, going into safe mode"

At that point your jeep gladiator will send a distress signal to Toledo and the doors and tailgate will lock. All 4 windows will open approximately 1/4" and the stereo will come on and play nickelback in a loop until the vehicle is reset by an authorized user. You will probably have to call the dealer to get them out because they are the only ones with the reset codes.

Be careful and take your time. This is way easier than disconnecting both batteries.
I think I recall you also need to draw a pentagram under the Gladiator and have a candle lit at each point. And something about incense burning

Last edited:

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Battery manufacturers specify charging at 1/10 rated capacity-"C". At 14 Ah, that is 1.4 amps max. for 10 hours on a new, out of the box unit. This is at a constant rate. Chargers that taper down the rate as voltage increases are not the same and may never achieve that deep, saturation charge. Higher charging amps will only increase the possibility of damage, lurking, waiting for that overnight cold snap or over 100 degree day on the trail. I spent many years in bike shops and battery/charging issues were an every day menu item.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Have you tried to remote start it and lock/unlock from the app? I would be curious to see if that worked.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Never had a car so difficult to jump start. I put the charger (a somewhat old Diehard charger from Sears purchased circa 2003 - which worked on another car recently) in slow 2a charge mode on the pos/neg terminals but the charger only gets to a certain point and stops charging - a point less than 50%. Don't know if the dual battery is confusing it or not. I then tried putting the charger into jump start mode and after it charged up for it, I tried starting and all I got was lights gone wild. And my windshield wiper moving even though it is turned off.

I have tried just connecting to the aux battery - lots of clicking going on. But don't get that if I have the main battery connected along with it.

Update - I went and purchased a battery charger/maintainer that works in the 2A range - hopefully it being new and specifically for slow charging will be what was needed.
After 40 hours on the charger/maintainer (but still blinking red for charging) I disconnected the charger, disconnected the positive and negative terminals, and disconnected the two negative terminals attached to the negative bracket - in otherwords all negative leads disconnected. After 30 minutes reconnected everything - hoped that 40 hours had charged it - nothing at all. Not even able to open the doors with proximity or pushing the unlock button. Unlocked with the key, no lights on the dash at all. Seems that charging for 40 hours actually totally drained them.

Hooked up the jump starter again - no crank, and lights gone wild and wiper blades wiping (even though they are turned off).

Calling the Jeep service department. I think I have a bad battery - 4-5 weeks not running should not break a battery to the point it will not charge. My wife's car sat for over 6 months and still had juice to start the car. And it is a wee little battery compared to what is in the Gladiator.
Sponsored