Sponsored

Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter?

Chunky White

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
The local Toyota dealer sent my neighbor on his way with no oil in his Tacoma. He made it about a mile before the truck shutdown and the engine was replaced by Toyota even though the truck is 2007 with over 100k miles. Hopefully you will get the same kind of treatment from your local Jeep dealer
Sponsored

OP
OP

tship22

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No jeep yet...
After some daytime investigation it appears the oil filter housing may be where the issue is. Outside of the Plug and pan are dry. Thanks for pointing that out. I have a bad injury to my left arm and the cold weather last night prevented me from getting a good look from below.

I am feeling a bit better. I have had a few others describe “no oil” as well and it appears I wouldn’t have made it 100 miles if there

pictures included:
Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? 34039E44-BD9F-4316-B8DA-B6D7AEC6F0DD

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? 1DCBFE8C-D8F5-4AFB-B3C0-AF7FAEFD6453

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? D55FB3EA-C34C-40ED-84B3-F1BC44D46B5F

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? F10BA94D-549B-4801-9027-508601E74A1B

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? 5758841A-C80E-4512-A36C-EF3DCDC968D4

Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? 0ADF3CE1-9F9F-48CC-8C4D-68909C7BA4AD

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
History of the oil filter blowing off?? First Ive heard of it...thats not good, wtf
It's a mix. They don't explode but some have had cracked plastic housings causing the oil to leak out of the filter plastic itself, others have had the seal go bad. Hot oil pressure is much lower from cold so they get home, truck sits over night. Cold start and pukes oil. Happened on my buddies JL. They blamed the filter but it made a mess of that side. One ecodiesel owner had his block replaced because it kept leaking at the cooler. Warped mounting surface to the cooler supposedly. If you search both forums for ecodiesel oil leak or ecodiesel oil housing they show up.

Recap:
1. Oil filter seal
2. Cracked oil filter housing or plastic cap
3. Oil cooler seal
4. timing chain cover seal

Those are what I recall the top problem children are, in no particular order from reading these 2 forums.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
After some daytime investigation it appears the oil filter housing may be where the issue is. Outside of the Plug and pan are dry. Thanks for pointing that out. I have a bad injury to my left arm and the cold weather last night prevented me from getting a good look from below.

I am feeling a bit better. I have had a few others describe “no oil” as well and it appears I wouldn’t have made it 100 miles if there

pictures included:
Jeep Gladiator Dealer didn’t put oil in after changing filter? 0ADF3CE1-9F9F-48CC-8C4D-68909C7BA4AD

I don't see a lot of oil. If you lost everything while driving I'd expect it to be everywhere.

OP
OP

tship22

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No jeep yet...
I don't see a lot of oil. If you lost everything while driving I'd expect it to be everywhere.
i agree. Not much oil. I was parked after just filling up from fuel and running in the gas station when it happened so it hasn’t been moved besides being towed.

I shut it off immediately after restarting it at the gas station when I saw the bright red oil pressure light. let it reset. Started it again a few minutes later and the same thing happened. Tow truck driver started it 2 hours later when he arrived and it had 76psi or so but started dropping pretty quickly as I guess it was warming back up. We shut it off again and towed it home.
My best guess is the housing is possibly cracked and it lost pressure when I started it back up the first time. Then it cooled off again for enough pressure to build on start up when the tow truck driver arrived.

Oddly enough I had a broken oil cooler on my 14 JKU with the 3.6. Both seem to be plastic housings…

Will update Monday when I can talk to the dealer.

thanks again for all the help.

Needed some knowledge to calm my anger at the dealer.

Sponsored

SIG551-A1

First Name
Stazi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
Did you get any bad engine noises or did you shut it off as soon as you got the oil pressure warming? I'm hoping that the engine didn't get wrecked, but whatever happens, it's on them.

OP
OP

tship22

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No jeep yet...
Did you get any bad engine noises or did you shut it off as soon as you got the oil pressure warming? I'm hoping that the engine didn't get wrecked, but whatever happens, it's on them.
Felt like it was running funny all day. Lacking power merging on the highway but I will admit I’m the “feel every vibration, check the lug nuts twice” guy, and a cynic when someone else works on anything. It’s funny when you get a detail everything feels better but when it goes for service it feels worse. The minute I saw a warning I shut it off. Hoping I avoided catastrophe. Sold my pretty built wrangler a month ago because the family loves the gladiator so much. Hope this is a minor deal.

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
It would be nice if Jeep Wave program came with the option to pick up the oil and filters at the dealer so those of us who can could do our own maintenance.
How then could they use it as a loss leader to upsell?

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
It would be nice if Jeep Wave program came with the option to pick up the oil and filters at the dealer so those of us who can could do our own maintenance.
A nice thought. However, for the $100 bucks saved for the three free oil changes, to me it's not worth it. More piece of mind knowing that an inexperienced person did not have their hands on my JT. And if I screw something up, it's on me! :like:

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the same way

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I have a good dealership to deal with but this may not be on the dealer, there are known issues of the filter on the diesel 3.0 blowing off, even when people have done there own oil changes. My father in law had it happen on his Ram that he changes the oil on. His did something similar to what happened to yours and I can't remember what the fix was if there was any. He caught it in time and saved the engine though.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A nice thought. However, for the $100 bucks saved for the three free oil changes, to me it's not worth it. More piece of mind knowing that an inexperienced person did not have their hands on my JT. And if I screw something up, it's on me! :like:
I got 10 total with mine, 4 free and then $300 for 6 more. Hendricks is a good dealership with a outstanding service dept, or at least the one in Concord, NC and the Import one in Charlotte I use for the BMW's. Wish I had time to change my own but I don't.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I got 10 total with mine, 4 free and then $300 for 6 more. Hendricks is a good dealership with a outstanding service dept, or at least the one in Concord, NC and the Import one in Charlotte I use for the BMW's. Wish I had time to change my own but I don't.
Useless trivia - my father in law sold Rick Hendrick his first car when when Rick was in high school.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Useless trivia - my father in law sold Rick Hendrick his first car when when Rick was in high school.

Cool stuff, I was a Earnhardt fan growing up being from the Kannapolis area so I couldn't stand anything Hendrick related for years. My buddy was tire guy for JR for a few years and I had a opportunity to meet Rick a couple times in person and he's a outstanding dude. I got a lot of respect for him

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Cool stuff, I was a Earnhardt fan growing up being from the Kannapolis area so I couldn't stand anything Hendrick related for years. My buddy was tire guy for JR for a few years and I had a opportunity to meet Rick a couple times in person and he's a outstanding dude. I got a lot of respect for him
He's done a lot of good things for his hometown area community.
https://www.chrichmond.org/locations/location-details?id=86

Still has many friends around here.
My wife made some handmade cross stitch things for his parents' 50th anniversary some years ago. Our insurance guy went to the party and he asked her to make them for them.
He brought us back some baseball type cards autographed by Jeff Gordon, who as another Earnhardt fan, I loathed at the time. LOL
Sponsored