First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I've got a guest wifi with the SSID name "FBI Surveillance Van", that I turn on every once in a while. I figure it will keep the neighbors guessing.
We just made a joke about that SSID about 15 minutes ago. I'm teaching a SEC+ bootcamp for DC3

OngsterA

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge Rubicon
Occupation
Software Security
Don't waste your time and money. Nobody is watching it. For most dealers, now, one of these is installed as soon as it's unloaded. It's primarily for inventory management and control. They are not expensive enough to justify removal. Many of them were 3G devices, which means they won't work much longer or have already stopped working.

Mine came with one of these installed. It included a three year paid subscription for a tracking service, similar to what is available for the 8.4 Uconnect. They offered a renewal when it expired in July. I turned it down, not only for the $460 cost, but also because they wanted to send someone out to remove the old unit and install a newer model (presumably 4G capable).
I'll check today. So, this has nothing to do with StarGard? Unfortunately my truck came with that add-on but was able to knock the price down, best I could do for the truck and options I wanted. MY22 already on the lot.

wayned

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
retired
I found one on mine. Called the dealership I bought it from and spoke to the General Manager. He advised that every one of the vehicles sitting on the lot has a GPS tracker. I asked why it was not taken out when I took delivery. he told me they are cheap and only used to track the vehicles on the lot in case they are stolen off the lot. Once you buy it the unit is deactivated.
Just remove it and throw it in the trash.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We just made a joke about that SSID about 15 minutes ago. I'm teaching a SEC+ bootcamp for DC3
Its an old joke, but its still funny.

I've also set them up saying "XX for president", "taxation is theft" and things like that.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'll check today. So, this has nothing to do with StarGard? Unfortunately my truck came with that add-on but was able to knock the price down, best I could do for the truck and options I wanted. MY22 already on the lot.
I should have said nobody is actively tracking it. The devices report in and the information is logged. Unless you get the subscription service to have access to the data, or the vehicle is reported stolen by the dealer, no one takes the time to look at it.

scoobycarolanNC

First Name
Scooby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mohave
Where on the vehicle are you guys finding these things? When I did my Taser I pulled the whole-ass panel out from under the wheel and didn't see anything fishy. Could they be elsewhere?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Where on the vehicle are you guys finding these things? When I did my Taser I pulled the whole-ass panel out from under the wheel and didn't see anything fishy. Could they be elsewhere?
Chances are you don't have one. I also found the dealer installed LoJack in my '05 TJ behind the glove compartment, so you might look in that area too.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Now the target. One of my best friends or my 17 year old daughter’s fairly new boyfriend. I just got to make it somewhat easy to find. And let the fun begin. Someone has to keep that fkr on his toes.
Im thinking maybe the label should read DEA TRK-5309. Or FBI TRK-0401. What do you guys think?
Full send on the boyfriend.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Me Either, Installed my Taser and pulled the panel down. Nothing like that

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are usually located near the OBD port, since they tap into the OBD 12 volt line to power it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
There's several threads on this - one I started a couple of years ago and grew into many pages.
In some case, dealers try to upsell to a theft tracking and recovery service.
Funny thing - my 2020 had one and they never tried to sell me anything.
when my 2022 arrived, the guy in the office was going through things to "discuss" and when he got to that theft tracking/recovery service bit he moved past it and said "you guys probably won't want this one" and I had to laugh. Sure enough, a device exactly like my 2020 had.
I've seen this at other dealerships - there's a sticker on the windshield that advertises vehicle recovery, etc.

Anyway, there's examples of these things ad nauseum
in a lot of pages here. Not new or unique, sorry ;-)

Question for the OP, was your truck used? I can’t figure out why the dealer would install this on a new vehicle. If it was new, can you explain further to where exactly this was installed? I want to check my truck
You missed the multiple other threads on this apparently - it's to sell vehicle theft recovery and similar services. It's on the windshield at quite a few dealerships. You cruise the Ford, Chevy, GM and other lots and you'd see XYZ Stolen Vehicle and Recovery Protection" papers plastered in the windshields. It's a service llike all the other stuff they like to sell once you agree to buy the vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Some dealers target a less reputable clientele. Not saying OP is one of those types, but his dealership probably was. I worked at a new Nissan dealer that made most of their money putting 530 credit scores in Cadillac CTSs and Chevrolet Equinoxes.

With used car values through the roof, it's probably much easier to get 500s into new cars, especially wranglers and truck with sky high book values right now. If ghe dealership purposefully targets these types, a GPS tracker might just be part of PDI and they just don't bother to take them out when a regular Joe buys them.
It's to sell theft tracking/recovery services - just like they sell other stuff with vehicles. It's not for tracking THEIR vehicles being stolen, it's to sell a service. Next time I'm out I'll take some pictures of windows and windshields on dealer lots where they "advertise" their vehicles equipped with that service.
On some lots here every single new vehicle gets one. Then when you buy, they shuffle all of these papers to upsell you other services. In our case the guy skipped that and actually said "you guys probably don't want this" and skipped right over it - but I saw the paper and knew what it was.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The dealers are not installing these to track the vehicle if you don't pay. They get a guarantee that they're going to be paid before you drive off the lot. They don't care if you don't pay whoever financed it, they have their money.

Some financing companies may require one to be installed, if you are a poor credit risk. Some dealers may install them if they do their own financing. Unless you pay for the service, these are usually not actively tracked unless the dealer reports it stolen.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
It's to sell theft tracking/recovery services - just like they sell other stuff with vehicles. It's not for tracking THEIR vehicles being stolen, it's to sell a service. Next time I'm out I'll take some pictures of windows and windshields on dealer lots where they "advertise" their vehicles equipped with that service.
On some lots here every single new vehicle gets one. Then when you buy, they shuffle all of these papers to upsell you other services. In our case the guy skipped that and actually said "you guys probably don't want this" and skipped right over it - but I saw the paper and knew what it was.
I've worked at dealers who do not do it for that reason. Sometimes financing falls through after the customer has taken the vehicle home. More common with poor credit. Banks issue approvals, get POI and POA and everything they ask for, then start asking for more the day after. Well, until they get what they want, they aren't paying out to the dealer. Now the dealer has a car on the street that isn't paid for and the customer refuses to supply the extras the bank is asking for. The dealer has to get the car back. GPS helps with that.

Another one is temp insurance expiration. Dealers partner with insurance providers to issue 2-3 week policies with the understanding the customer will get their own insurance in that timeframe. They often don't. And the bank wont payout until a more permanent insurance is provided.

You apply for a job as a car salesman, then a year in when the dealer changes tack and you find yourself working as a part time repo guy. It was not what I signed up for and one of the reasons why I left that job. Technically i got fired, but I got fired for "not fulfilling the requirements of the job"
Sponsored