Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What!!!!????? That’s insane! Well...obviously this while maybe not as common as we may instinctively believe, the fact that someone feels ok admitting to it means it’s likely happening more often than we also are aware of.
Sadly, these days, well, frankly even over the decades, those who cheat, do shady things, even steal, have convinced themselves that it's ok, or that others do it.
Check out the recent comments that were in the news - a book author says that looting is ok, it helps the looter get a sense of freedom, etc. - really? Since when is theft of any sort - via robbery, looting, shoplifting, anything like that - since when is it ok?
Oh, they are rich, it's ok to steal from them. Oh, it's a big store, they can afford it. No one will miss just this item - besides, that guy does it.
Sponsored

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Sadly, these days, well, frankly even over the decades, those who cheat, do shady things, even steal, have convinced themselves that it's ok, or that others do it.
Check out the recent comments that were in the news - a book author says that looting is ok, it helps the looter get a sense of freedom, etc. - really? Since when is theft of any sort - via robbery, looting, shoplifting, anything like that - since when is it ok?
Oh, they are rich, it's ok to steal from them. Oh, it's a big store, they can afford it. No one will miss just this item - besides, that guy does it.
Actually you’re right sadly. There’s a lot of that noise and chatter about justification out there for what at one point would be considered wrong but now it’s a gray area or even ok.

SCRubicon23

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU 2019 JLUR 2020 Gladiator
And if you don't want the crate, please let me know........
What is this crate y’all speak of? I’m on my 3rd new Jeep in 4 years and haven’t ever heard of one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is this crate y’all speak of? I’m on my 3rd new Jeep in 4 years and haven’t ever heard of one.
The wood crate that the MOPAR lift kits come in..............

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
The awesome crate that houses the Mopar lift kit. Can be used and turned into all manner of useful things!

8C9F6079-06B5-4290-A8D7-8BC2BC5DBB80.jpeg

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Gar
I purchased Rubicon suspension off of Craigslist last weekend. After he had my money and I had the parts I asked him how he liked his Gladiator. He said he didn't have one, he just does the lifts for the service department. He keeps what he can and sells the stuff on the side.
guarantee this is what happened with the OP... bet these guys make a ton on the side with doing this with parts!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What!!!!????? That’s insane! Well...obviously this while maybe not as common as we may instinctively believe, the fact that someone feels ok admitting to it means it’s likely happening more often than we also are aware of.
Yea it’s basically like admitting to fraud.

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yea it’s basically like admitting to fraud.
Well, if the dealership gives their mechanics permission to do this then the mechanic wouldn't necessarily be the one committing fraud. Either way, it's horrible.

I'd price out the new cost of all the parts they didn't give back and then go ask for them to cut you a check for that amount. If they don't provide it, file a police report for theft in that amount.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if the dealership gives their mechanics permission to do this then the mechanic wouldn't necessarily be the one committing fraud. Either way, it's horrible.

I'd price out the new cost of all the parts they didn't give back and then go ask for them to cut you a check for that amount. If they don't provide it, file a police report for theft in that amount.
Actually, just like the driver of the get-away car, any time you have knowledge of a crime and don't report it, or hide it, or participate in any way (and taking said parts with permission is participating) the mechanic would have to answer for it - maybe not to the level of the management, but still, one in possession of such goods - is a part of it. Courts may also ask if they even wondered if it was right or not, then remind that "ignorance of the law is no excuse".

Sponsored

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
Look over the paperwork. Many work orders have an option to check if you want your old parts back. If you signed a work order that says you didn't want the old parts back, it will be harder to make your case that you are entitled to them.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually, just like the driver of the get-away car, any time you have knowledge of a crime and don't report it, or hide it, or participate in any way (and taking said parts with permission is participating) the mechanic would have to answer for it - maybe not to the level of the management, but still, one in possession of such goods - is a part of it. Courts may also ask if they even wondered if it was right or not, then remind that "ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Agreed. These are grown adults, I’m sure they are above 18, and know the difference between right and wrong. Even if the dealer encouraged them to take the stuff... they would be a part of it. They know better.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
When I had my rear springs and shocks changed out, the dealer asked if I wanted the old parts back. In Calif., shops are required to give you back any parts removed during a repair, as proof of the repair being done.
cheers

Robicon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Well now you are comparing apples to oranges. What if the get-away driver is an Uber they ordered?

If a shop supervisor tells a mechanic to dispose of removed parts, but instead the mechanic asks if he/she can take them home and is told yes, the person most responsible is the supervisor, not the mechanic. Not sure about your area but around here, mechanics at dealerships almost never speak with vehicle owners directly.

If you buy something off FB MP that was stolen, but you do not know it was stolen or even suspect it - does that mean you are just as guilty as the person that stole is? No, of course not. Sure, you may have to prove that but fact of the matter is you are not guilty. You can be in possession of stolen property without being criminally responsible. They would have to prove you had prior knowledge the item(s) were stolen.

Anyways, we are getting way off course here. It's slimy that a dealership would do that and then cause such grief trying to get the parts back (or reimbursed money for them).
It's one thing to keep old brakes after new ones are put on but to keep a basically brand new suspension even after the owner asks for it back... wow.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Seems selling take-off parts is becoming standard practice.

Last February I got rear-ended by a Nissan Altima. Very bad for the Altima. My factory hitch got a small bend in the chain loop. My insurance company recommended Service King as a "preffered" repair shop.

Service King said they absolutely, positively could not repair my hitch. I had to be replaced. I said that was fine, but I wanted the factory hitch. The rep looked puzzled and said, "We don't do that". When I asked what would become of the hitch, she said, "Well, we just throw the old parts away". I politely explained they could simply throw them into the back of my Gladiator instead of into the dumpster. (Which I knew they didn't actually do.)

Turns out they had to replace the bumper as well. My truck sat for a month, untouched, while they were "awaiting parts". Of course, they wouldn't even order the parts until they had my truck.

Finally, I picked up my JT and looked in the bed to find the old, plastic pieces from the bumper. No hitch. I knew full well arguing with the employee behind the counter would get me nowhere. I expect they offered it up for sale on an industry web site. (eBay fees are too high for such a business.)

I received a survey from my insurance company and politely explained everything using the word "unsatisfactory" multiple times.

Last month my Gladiator got bombed by hail. (Yay!) Interestingly, my insurance company did NOT even mention Service King as an option. And, surprise, the shop I did use said they would order the parts and let me know when they arrived to schedule the repair. Imagine that.

Apparently, someone looks at those surveys.
Sponsored