Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well now you are comparing apples to oranges. What if the get-away driver is an Uber they ordered?
HAHA - - well, they should be suspect when their fare comes back out running.
In any case - it's knowledge of something amiss. Accomplice before, during or after the fact - those are the ways you can be involved. If you help plan it, you are an accomplice before the fact, if you know what's going on and help them get away, it's an accomplice after the fact.......... during is obvious - you were there at the time.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seems selling take-off parts is becoming standard practice.

Last February I got rear-ended by a Nissan Altima. Very bad for the Altima. My factory hitch got a small bend in the chain loop. My insurance company recommended Service King as a "preffered" repair shop.

Service King said they absolutely, positively could not repair my hitch. I had to be replaced. I said that was fine, but I wanted the factory hitch. The rep looked puzzled and said, "We don't do that". When I asked what would become of the hitch, she said, "Well, we just throw the old parts away". I politely explained they could simply throw them into the back of my Gladiator instead of into the dumpster. (Which I knew they didn't actually do.)

Turns out they had to replace the bumper as well. My truck sat for a month, untouched, while they were "awaiting parts". Of course, they wouldn't even order the parts until they had my truck.

Finally, I picked up my JT and looked in the bed to find the old, plastic pieces from the bumper. No hitch. I knew full well arguing with the employee behind the counter would get me nowhere. I expect they offered it up for sale on an industry web site. (eBay fees are too high for such a business.)

I received a survey from my insurance company and politely explained everything using the word "unsatisfactory" multiple times.

Last month my Gladiator got bombed by hail. (Yay!) Interestingly, my insurance company did NOT even mention Service King as an option. And, surprise, the shop I did use said they would order the parts and let me know when they arrived to schedule the repair. Imagine that.

Apparently, someone looks at those surveys.
I know they do - at least for FCA/Jeep. I've gotten calls from them after submitting my surveys.

I'm afraid with my personality - I'd tell them I wasn't leaving until I had my old parts and if they wanted to call law enforcement, I'd loan them my phone and tell them 'good, it's a good chance to get a report on file that you are using and/or selling used parts'.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
HAHA - - well, they should be suspect when their fare comes back out running.
In any case - it's knowledge of something amiss. Accomplice before, during or after the fact - those are the ways you can be involved. If you help plan it, you are an accomplice before the fact, if you know what's going on and help them get away, it's an accomplice after the fact.......... during is obvious - you were there at the time.
Exactly, it’s about the mechanics knowing what’s right and wrong, about knowing it’s unethical to take someone’s stuff. Now yes, it could be common practice for some sleazy stores to say they are doing services, such as oil changes and brakes, and not doing the work. But the mechanic would definitely be involved in the fraud, because they would be aware if the unethical practice.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s awesome. Never bought Mopar lift. Might have to now just for the crate.
Yup - we've got that "I wanna Jeep crate" thing now. No cure I know of.
Contagious, too, I hear.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Oh, hell... the crate alone is being listed on eBay for $230... the stock JTR suspension lists for $400 in the classifieds here...

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Finally, I picked up my JT and looked in the bed to find the old, plastic pieces from the bumper. No hitch. I knew full well arguing with the employee behind the counter would get me nowhere. I expect they offered it up for sale on an industry web site. (eBay fees are too high for such a business.)
sounds like they “fixed” the hitch and charged you for a new one.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
sounds like they “fixed” the hitch and charged you for a new one.
I suspected that as well. I inspected the hitch thoroughly. I don't recall the indicators, but it was apparent that hitch was new and not repaired.

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
My dealer gave me the crate with all my parts. Ended up giving them back the parts. No way I could sell OEM parts. Nobody wants them. Gave the crate to my sister in law.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer gave me the crate with all my parts. Ended up giving them back the parts. No way I could sell OEM parts. Nobody wants them. Gave the crate to my sister in law.
IS your truck a max tow version of the Sport S? If so, the rear springs have value. At least to someone like me with an Overland needing springs in the back to better support payload or a trailer. NOT to increase payload or towing ability, merely to prevent the a$$-end from dropping so bloody badly it was like hunting raccoons with a load in the back - headlights in the trees.
Max tow rear springs are progressive springs, and a tad more stout than the stock Overland springs. Thus, I have max tow springs from a Sport S under the rear of my Overland. It did drop the rear a touch, but that's fixable, too - spacers.
But the other parts - yeah, who wants the stock Sport shocks or front springs or control arms at this point. Maybe years down the road when those bushings start to go bad, and they WILL, then they'll be worth something.

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your dealer definitely kept the parts to either upgrade one of their own rides or sell on Craigslist. I had my dealer install the Mopar 2" lift and 37" tires/wheels. This was installed before I took possession of the vehicle. I told them ahead of time that I wanted everything back including the crate.

The day I picked up my vehicle they asked me if I wanted the Rubicon take offs including the Rubicon wheels! I couldn't believe it....I mean I could understand maybe someone possibly leaving the old suspension but the Rubicon wheels and brand new tires??? I laughed at them and said I wanted it all and made two trips to get everything home.

Anyway, my dealer was not dishonest but they were bold enough to ask to keep everything. Guaranteed many don't ask at all.....

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I kept the original OEM springs and shocks when I had them replaced with MaxTow progressive springs and shocks. I put them away as spares in case I break a spring or shock.
cheers

JKABBQ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Corsair, 1991 P40
Rubi take offs plus the Mopar crate on CL here in Vancouver for $500 Canadian...what’s that like $200 USD?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Rubi take offs plus the Mopar crate on CL here in Vancouver for $500 Canadian...what’s that like $200 USD?
That's super high, ~$375USD. Maybe the CDN market is different? I wouldn't pay more than $200 USD for Rubi take offs, that's for sure.
Sponsored