Sponsored

death wobble / shimmy/ blah blah blah fixed !

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Thanks for posting this. Going to call the service manager and make sure his tech has read this. I WANT to believe they checked all these items and only found the steering damper bad. But wanting and doing are two different things.
I think what you will find, is that depending how many of these violent occurrences your front end has experienced, there is a good chance that the steering stabilizer is damaged to a point that a new one will feel better initially.. but like i said earlier, it won't fix the problem. Track Bar and tires is what fixed mine. I am fortunate that i worked for a NASCAR race team, and had the capability to run my old and new stabilizer on a Roehrig Shock Dyno to test them when I did the swap. The old one had lost it's charge and was almost 50% of what the FOX 2.0 Steering Stabilizer that I put on as a replacement. I could tell immediately that there was more control, and that not every bump on the highway would piss off the front end, but i could tell in the steering wheel that it was right at the line of going into a high speed death wobble. That's when i got the new Track Bar ........ the old one coming off had worn out ends. Then I got new REVO3 tires, and now I can drive worry free, no matter what bumps or dips i hit on the highway, and at any speed. Sure has brought me peace of mind.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think what you will find, is that depending how many of these violent occurrences your front end has experienced, there is a good chance that the steering stabilizer is damaged to a point that a new one will feel better initially.. but like i said earlier, it won't fix the problem.
Based on past experiences, observations and so on - a new one will feel better - like you said. But if the root cause still exists, then that new stabilizer will be subject to massive forces trying really hard to push against that oil, wearing the piston, valving and so on. For a while, it can handle it, but will gradually weaken again.
I'm basing that one "some" experiences in the past - but mostly on seeing shocks destroyed in a year because the cause of the vibrations and other symptoms were not resolved.
In fact, I can admit to personal experience when the expensive high-end shocks I put on my little SX4 were literally destroyed in 2 years - I had a wheel that the restoration company said was not quite round (and I had put dial indicators on that thing every which way you could think of and it was "in specs")
Had another wheel machined and restored.
The wheel was beating the crap out of the shocks and I was rotating frequently trying to figure out where the hell that vibration was coming from. So, in the end, all shocks are needing replacement.
A steering "stabilizer" works similar to a shock at its root.
Oil, valves, piston, rod........

Track Bar and tires is what fixed mine.
Not real surprised and yet we see folks insisting their new tires are PERFECT (they have to be, they chose them, never admit something you bought was a mistake or could be fault, or that you could have done better, makes you look weak, not as much of a man in front of your peers.)

P.Lo

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Spot on ShadowsPapa!

Continual High speed frequency on a shock, like an out of round wheel/tire, or balance issue, will decrease the life of a shock. Steering Stabilizers also have another detrimental factor, in that the piston works most of its life in a very narrow section of the shock body, when traveling straight. So wear is excessive in that location if it's continually exposed to a high speed frequency issue..

Deleted member 52392

I think what you will find, is that depending how many of these violent occurrences your front end has experienced, there is a good chance that the steering stabilizer is damaged to a point that a new one will feel better initially.. but like i said earlier, it won't fix the problem. Track Bar and tires is what fixed mine. I am fortunate that i worked for a NASCAR race team, and had the capability to run my old and new stabilizer on a Roehrig Shock Dyno to test them when I did the swap. The old one had lost it's charge and was almost 50% of what the FOX 2.0 Steering Stabilizer that I put on as a replacement. I could tell immediately that there was more control, and that not every bump on the highway would piss off the front end, but i could tell in the steering wheel that it was right at the line of going into a high speed death wobble. That's when i got the new Track Bar ........ the old one coming off had worn out ends. Then I got new REVO3 tires, and now I can drive worry free, no matter what bumps or dips i hit on the highway, and at any speed. Sure has brought me peace of mind.
I will most definitely bring this to the service managers attention. Won't be much longer before the warranty will be expiring. Get it fixed now and if it goes to hell again I'll go after market.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I wander why the tierod on the draglink was bad from the factory.
It just seams unusable that their wood be bad parts making it threw to production.
My 2010 Shelby GT500 fuel pump failed with 7 miles on the odometer on the way home from buying it. It happens,

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My 2010 Shelby GT500 fuel pump failed with 7 miles on the odometer on the way home from buying it. It happens,
Sad but true. They are machines made and designed by people. Even if robots assemble them, who designs and makes the robots...........

The joints at the ends of the tie rod or drag link are normally ball-type with springs loading them by pushing a polymer/nylon bottom socket against the ball part of the joint up against a steel or polymer socket in most cases.

If it ends up not pressed together with enough force or something else goes wrong in assembly, you have looseness.

Boeing720

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude, Volvo XC40
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief
I guess I also have to take mine in, got the same Shimmy when its cold outside, at Speed above 65 mph. 4300 miles on my JT. Definitely not Death Wobble. Had the same thing on my JK at 200,000 mi worn out rod end on the Pittman arm end of my steering arm. Im seeing a trend.🤔
Sponsored