Sponsored

Dewalt vs Milwaukee

Paulyester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Now that I have a Jeep and will be eternally wrenching, I need to get some power tools. This might be starting a firestorm, but what's everyone's opinions of Milwaukee vs Dewalt? Most builders and mechanics I see use Milwaukee and that would be enough for me, but I had that some tools are 12v and some are 18v. I would prefer to get 2-3 batteries, 1 charger and then just swap to the tool I need to use. I don't see me needing much more than a 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, grinder, and maybe oscillating tool, but, I do like the wood working tool line available with the Dewalt, which has be leaning that way.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
When Sears took a dump, I abandoned their C3 line and went all in on Milwaukee. A lot more flexibility and selection with them.

For what you are wanting, I do not think you could do wrong with either Milwaukee or DeWalt. You will save some coin going with Dewalt.

DarthAWM

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Oilfield Service
Milwaukee has been dead consistent on their batteries, two types the small tool M12 and the large tool M18 while you cant swap between M12 and M18 any M18 tool is ran off any M18 battery(excluding the monster multi battery tools) That interchangeability is why I went with them.

LouisvEarlleJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Willys Earl
Milwaukee, though I have had good experience with Makita as well.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I have Dewalt 20V stuff.

All original batteries. 7-8 years old. No problems other than the impact I used underwater. Friend told me it would be ok, I believed him. 😆

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
When I was still working at the power plant. One of the things I was in charge was tools. We started out with Dewalts. Over the years, we found out that the battery life was between 18 to 24 months. So we started to change over to the Milwaukee's. Battery life was almost double. Plus they could take more abuse from Neanderthals.

Duece McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR-HVY 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Build Thread
Link
I'm in construction and have used a lot of different brands of tools over the decades.

Dewalt 18v was the hot stuff in the 2000's.

Then Millwaukee was light years ahead for quite awhile.

New Dewalt is finally on par or better with the Milwaukee stuff.

Currently at work we run Milwaukee 18v and 12v. Huge line of tools. Something for every task it seems. Great ergos/form factor, power, and batteries!

So what did I spend my coin on? Milwaukee 12v and 18v. Their 12v ratchet, stubby 3/8" impact, and worklight are my most used power tools when wrenching. I have the big 18v Fuel 1/2" drive impact for stubborn stuff. I even use the 12v drill and impact drivers for dinky house stuff. 18v in the shop if Im drilling something more serious.

Really love their product line.

F/51 LRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I work for a company that deals with both of these. If it matters to you, Milwaukee is owned & operated by TTI which is an overseas company. DeWalt is owned by Stanley Black & Decker in MD; they have more tools that are made in the US/North America.

Additionally, if you need post purchase support DeWalt wins hands down, IMO. They also provide 3 year warrantees on batteries if you run into issues.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Now that I have a Jeep and will be eternally wrenching, I need to get some power tools. This might be starting a firestorm, but what's everyone's opinions of Milwaukee vs Dewalt? Most builders and mechanics I see use Milwaukee and that would be enough for me, but I had that some tools are 12v and some are 18v. I would prefer to get 2-3 batteries, 1 charger and then just swap to the tool I need to use. I don't see me needing much more than a 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, grinder, and maybe oscillating tool, but, I do like the wood working tool line available with the Dewalt, which has be leaning that way.

Thoughts?
All Milwaukee. All the time. There are SO many m12 and m18 tools. And their batteries are truly amazing.

Edit: I’m an amateur woodworker, metal worker, and wrencher. Milwaukee has lots of woodworking tools that are absolutely top notch.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I work for a company that deals with both of these. If it matters to you, Milwaukee is owned & operated by TTI which is an overseas company. DeWalt is owned by Stanley Black & Decker in MD; they have more tools that are made in the US/North America.

Additionally, if you need post purchase support DeWalt wins hands down, IMO. They also provide 3 year warrantees on batteries if you run into issues.
The Milwaukee batteries last a LONG time. I still have m28 batteries that are almost 29 years old that still work. And Milwaukee warranties all tools for 5 years. But they last forever. I’ve only used warranty on a single tool from them in my life. And I have dozens. They just last.

Sponsored

Freems

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport 2022 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
let me offer up a different view point…Harbor Freight… if you wrench for a living, I might go a different brand, but most of what I do, their the clear dollar choice with local returns. less dollars spent on tools are more dollars that go to my modification projects budget. BTW their $9.99 4” grinders are the perfect tool, I have three of them with different grits and cut off blades, makes for more time grinding and cutting than changing disk all the time. I‘ve also used and abused all three of them for 8 plus years, and not a single failure.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Who owns what.

Jeep Gladiator Dewalt vs Milwaukee 1711722026099-2f
Someone always owns something, who then owns that. Milwaukee started as a Milwaukee company, was successful because they make amazing tools, and support their customers. So someone bought them. It doesn’t mean their tools aren’t still amazing. It means they have more capital for product development.

Dewalt started as black and decker, a bargain brand. Then they put yellow plastic on and everyone started buying.

Rob_R

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram, SPF Cobra, 22 Mach 1
Occupation
Retired
As mentioned above, Milwaukee is now owned by TTI , which is a Chinese company. Their breadth of cordless tool selection is second to none. Had I not bought into the Makita cordless tool infrastructure early on, I am sure I would have purchased Milwaukee equipment. Eventually I would have figured out that Milwaukee was a China owned company and I would then be disappointed.
Of course, I know Makita is Japanese company, but they are at least friendly to us Americans.

I go out of my way to support manufacturing in the US. However, my tool boxes have very little Snap-On, MAC, etc as my scenario is strictly home mechanic. My boxes are filled with Craftsman tools purchased before they started manufacturing off-shore. I have been buying tools since high school so I have filled 2 tool boxes that are taller than me.

Bottom line - Milwaukee would likely be the best place to start.......and I had to rant about the reduction of US manufacturing.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
This is mostly a Ford Vs. Chevy type discussion. I read through posts on this thread claiming Milwaukee batteries as superior, yet just moments ago I shipped another back to them for warranty. It is two years old, the prior failures happened as early as 2 months. I currently run DeWalt for 18v (Okay, 20v...) and Milwaukee for 12v tools. They both offer compelling, quality tools that are awesome. They both offer tools that break and batteries that don't last as long as they should. The competition between them and other tool makers is a good thing for the consumer. I don't think you will be disappointed in either choice.
Sponsored