Sponsored

DiamondBack Covers | General Thread

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Grand Cherokee
I’m wanting a SE for my build and I’m pretty positive it can use it w my Xtrusion overland rack and still open the cover, which would be great. The big hang up is the cost. I’m not sure I can justify it to myself. One question though, does anyone know how much the struts can lift? For example, if I had a cooler strapped down on a lid would it lift it?
Not familiar with the Xtrusion rack but based on the pictures, the SE doors look like they would come in contact with the cross bars. I agree with the cost point, I got an SE myself. The military discount helped a little but I think if you don't need the extra weight capacity, I don't think the $400 markup between the SE and HD is worth it. IMHO I dont think the struts will help much in lifting a fully loaded cooler.
Sponsored

UsuallyLost

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR MT
They're not that strong. At least mine aren't. They'll lift the lid up with just a tiny bit of persuasion and they'll hold them there.
Not familiar with the Xtrusion rack but based on the pictures, the SE doors look like they would come in contact with the cross bars. I agree with the cost point, I got an SE myself. The military discount helped a little but I think if you don't need the extra weight capacity, I don't think the $400 markup between the SE and HD is worth it. IMHO I dont think the struts will help much in lifting a fully loaded cooler.

Thanks for the feedback!

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Well, I got my Gladiator-specific shim kit and a set of new rail caps and did my second attempt at the shim kit install today.

With the specific instruction s for a Gladiator (my first attempt was using a Tundra kit before the Gladiator kit was available), the install went a lot better.

Only difficult part of the install was following the instructions for shim placement—even just a photo with the correct placement would have helped (the photos in the guide are black and white and do a poor job of establishing which side of the truck it is referencing and does not establish wheee in the rail it is taken from.

Also, some of the wording doesn’t make sense—when it references placing a shim “at the bottom of the letter R or L on the rails”, the bottom of the letter works for the R, but the L it actually should be at the top of the letter (it’s like a mirror reversal).

I took some pictures of the intended placement for the left and right rails so others can get an idea of what was unclear in the instructions/photos:

E6B2F5C8-B50F-4978-9DB6-230B6BFE96ED.jpeg

830B559B-BB85-4DCC-96DC-9D64709CFB94.jpeg

I also marked the shim placement along to cargo rails with blue tape, to use as a reference when placing the clamps back on the center piece.

It all looks a lot better now…

Jim7983

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I was leary of the shim install. Then I learned the Diamondback factory was within 100 miles of where I live and they'd do the install for $50. It was a nice day trip. I got the HD and very happy!

20210922_112652.jpg

Jim7983

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
I'm right there with ya. I want to mount a couple things and was wondering if the track is needed at all. I ordered the Quick Fist mounts and when my "things" arrive next week I'm going to see if I cant just attach the mounts directly to the support beam. I have no intent to move things around once they are mounted.

The only benefit I see to the track is repositioning and it maybe adds some extra clearance for "things" so they don't hit the pistons???
I am thinking of laying track perpendicular between the beams just below the cover top. Thinking a small corner bracket mounted to the side of the beam would be enough to hold the track. Put some spring clips on the track. I want to utilize the space between the beams without taking additional bed storage height.

Sponsored

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I finally got my Front Runner Rack System installed on my DB SE this weekend. Instructions weren't the best but thanks to YouTube I was able to get it on. It seems the DB has a slight taper from front to back you have to account for when installing the rails.

IMG_3070.jpg

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
Thanks for the response. You've actually reinforced some of the thoughts I had. The Toolbar gives you some mounting options laterally but that's about it for $120. If you don't mind, please post your mounted quick fists when you're done. I'd sure like to see that.

Here ya go @Pookie. It was pretty easy and feels fairly solid, although I will probably add some locktite once I give it a good test. The aluminum drills super easy and I picked up some nice black sheetmetal screws, but ultimately went with the self tapping because the thread count was higher.

The aluminum is pretty soft so I hand tightened the screws so as not to strip them out. We'll see if it holds. The grips are solid but the shovel looks like it might rattle a little.

Overall, I do like the clearance when the shovel is in place...It will be easier to slide plywood in the bed without having to move a bunch of stuff.

Now I just need to relocate that box of tie-downs and rope.... It's forever in the way!

Jeep Gladiator DiamondBack Covers | General Thread PXL_20211015_000144367
Jeep Gladiator DiamondBack Covers | General Thread PXL_20211015_001427254
Jeep Gladiator DiamondBack Covers | General Thread PXL_20211015_001510339
Jeep Gladiator DiamondBack Covers | General Thread PXL_20211015_001547088

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
I finally got my Front Runner Rack System installed on my DB SE this weekend. Instructions weren't the best but thanks to YouTube I was able to get it on. It seems the DB has a slight taper from front to back you have to account for when installing the rails.

That looks so nice with the textured top. The bikes pretty sweet too!

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here ya go @Pookie. It was pretty easy and feels fairly solid, although I will probably add some locktite once I give it a good test. The aluminum drills super easy and I picked up some nice black sheetmetal screws, but ultimately went with the self tapping because the thread count was higher.

The aluminum is pretty soft so I hand tightened the screws so as not to strip them out. We'll see if it holds. The grips are solid but the shovel looks like it might rattle a little.

Overall, I do like the clearance when the shovel is in place...It will be easier to slide plywood in the bed without having to move a bunch of stuff.

Now I just need to relocate that box of tie-downs and rope.... It's forever in the way!

PXL_20211015_000144367.jpg
PXL_20211015_001427254.jpg
PXL_20211015_001510339.jpg
PXL_20211015_001547088.jpg
That looks really cool. I'm probably going to copy what you did. I needed a place to mount a shovel too. Looks like you could find another use for that $120 you woulda paid for the DB Toolbar, LOL!

Does the rear cover still open on it's own with the shovel attached?

Last edited:

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks so nice with the textured top. The bikes pretty sweet too!
Thanks man. It's my carbon gravel bike which I built myself. I also mountain bike too. One of the guys on this Forum said I would regret getting the DB HD cause the SE isn't as tough. SE looks plenty tough to me based on my needs. Ha ha!

I also bought some FR tie down rings which I can attach to the T-slot rails if I ever needed to tie anything down. I much prefer the smooth look without the nautical vibe the cleats give off. LOL!

Sponsored

Logan94605

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Things & Stuff
Thanks man. It's my carbon gravel bike which I built myself. I also mountain bike too. One of the guys on this Forum said I would regret getting the DB HD cause the SE isn't as tough. SE looks plenty tough to me based on my needs. Ha ha!

I also bought some FR tie down rings which I can attach to the T-slot rails if I ever needed to tie anything down. I much prefer the smooth look without the nautical vibe the cleats give off. LOL!

I went back and fourth over the HD vs SE thing for 2 months, finally my other half kicked in the difference just to shut me up. haha. In hindsight I could have gotten by with the SE, but I do like all the tie-downs and use them regularly. It was so hard choosing without being able to see one in person. I get people on the fence stopping me in parking lots to ask about the DB.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I got my Gladiator-specific shim kit and a set of new rail caps and did my second attempt at the shim kit install today.

With the specific instruction s for a Gladiator (my first attempt was using a Tundra kit before the Gladiator kit was available), the install went a lot better.

Only difficult part of the install was following the instructions for shim placement—even just a photo with the correct placement would have helped (the photos in the guide are black and white and do a poor job of establishing which side of the truck it is referencing and does not establish wheee in the rail it is taken from.

Also, some of the wording doesn’t make sense—when it references placing a shim “at the bottom of the letter R or L on the rails”, the bottom of the letter works for the R, but the L it actually should be at the top of the letter (it’s like a mirror reversal).

I took some pictures of the intended placement for the left and right rails so others can get an idea of what was unclear in the instructions/photos:

I also marked the shim placement along to cargo rails with blue tape, to use as a reference when placing the clamps back on the center piece.

Im sure this will be very helpful when it comes times for my install. Thanks!

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V

Removing these rail caps is horror, how did you go about doing it?

Surely there is a better way else I'm 100% going to have to buy replacements b/c I'm going to have to rip it off with brute force.

Nebulocity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave - Sting Gray
Removing these rail caps is horror, how did you go about doing it?

Surely there is a better way else I'm 100% going to have to buy replacements b/c I'm going to have to rip it off with brute force.
Patience and a butter knife. Once you get the process down and figure out how to do it on one side, the other side goes pretty easy. But I did snap off a few clips along the way, no way around that I think.
Sponsored