Sponsored

DiamondBack Covers | General Thread

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Buy a spare pair of rails so that you can take the old ones off without worrying about damaging them in the process of removal (because even if you are painstaking, you will probably snap a few of the rails' underside clips, so you might as well just gain the speed of not caring about the old rails, and know that your rails, once reinstalled, are fully well-attached). If you shop around, cost of new rails is nominal, compared to buying the cover.

Once you have those new rails, pretty much all you need to do is remove the taillights (two screws each and each light then pops out) to access a few of the rails' rearward clips "get things started" in pulling up the back end of the rails without needing to do any prying along painted surfaces, and just "heave ho" the rest of the way - and the old rails are off in moments. Clean surfaces that shims need to adhere to (takes only moments)(but be sure you put them in the right locations. Install adhesive shims (takes only moments). Pop new rails into place, which takes only seconds with your palm or a light touch with a light rubber mallet. Reinstall taillights (takes only moments). Done.
I definitely have water intrusion around the center cross piece after the bed rail caps being crushed.

DB sent me some shims, but I used the same caps and defintely broke a few clips—I actually think I made the water intrusion a bit worse, but have been living with it.

Question: Does anyone know if the bed rail caps come with those clips that get broken, or do you have to order them in addition to the rails.

I think I just need to buy the caps and hopefully get DB to send me another set if shims…
Sponsored

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Broke a few but got the DB on; ran out of time and will finish and fine tune in morning. Looks awesome.
Nice! Dm me some pics when you get a chance. Love to see it.

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely have water intrusion around the center cross piece after the bed rail caps being crushed.

DB sent me some shims, but I used the same caps and defintely broke a few clips—I actually think I made the water intrusion a bit worse, but have been living with it.

Question: Does anyone know if the bed rail caps come with those clips that get broken, or do you have to order them in addition to the rails.

I think I just need to buy the caps and hopefully get DB to send me another set if shims…
not 100% but I’m pretty sure the bed rail caps come with the clips on them. I think they’re made that way.

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m no expert but am all but certain the new bed rails come with clips; they’re affixed and not detachable.....well, unless you break them that is ;)
My wife saw the plastic on the ground, didn’t say a word; just shook her head and walked away. After nearly 24 years of marriage, she knows when not to ask.

• Haha
Reactions: Tim

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I’m no expert but am all but certain the new bed rails come with clips; they’re affixed and not detachable.....well, unless you break them that is ;)
My wife saw the plastic on the ground, didn’t say a word; just shook her head and walked away. After nearly 24 years of marriage, she knows when not to ask.
The new rails definitely come with all of the clips, most of them are molded into the rails as a part of the rails, except for a white clip in the front.

It's probably possible to remove rails without breaking clips, but from looking at some other peoples' info, it looked like that wouldn't be a sure thing and would be slow and laborious - so I decided to go the "pull and replace" route- and was glad that I did.

Regarding how to get them started in pulling upwards, you should be able to reach up within the taillight opening and pinch one or two of the rearmost clips with your fingers; it's somewhat awkward but not truly difficult.

VolatileA

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Ray Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trader & Educator + A/V
The new rails definitely come with all of the clips, most of them are molded into the rails as a part of the rails, except for a white clip in the front.

It's probably possible to remove rails without breaking clips, but from looking at some other peoples' info, it looked like that wouldn't be a sure thing and would be slow and laborious - so I decided to go the "pull and replace" route- and was glad that I did.

Regarding how to get them started in pulling upwards, you should be able to reach up within the taillight opening and pinch one or two of the rearmost clips with your fingers; it's somewhat awkward but not truly difficult.
Link for the rails?

Thank you!

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Link for the rails?

Thank you!
I bought the rails for mine back in about February, and once I ordered them, I didn't keep details on the part numbers or the order.

Just found the Diamondback instructions that came with the shim kit, they list:

68343262ab

68343263ab

which seem to come up as the right parts when Googled

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Oh, man, they have Gladiator-specific shim kits now???

When I did it, they sent me a shim kit with instructions for a Tundra or something…

Sponsored

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Grand Cherokee
I finally pulled the trigger on a Diamondback SE and the Front Runner Rack System. It arrived last week and I just finished installing the cover. I was about to install the Front Runner Rack but it looks you will need three metric drill bits to do this and those are difficult to source at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure if others have done this with regular imperial drill bits. If so, please share your experiences. I emailed DB for guidance about the drill bits and the customer support guy gave me a copy of the installation guide (which I already had). Definitely some lack luster customer service. Just sayin.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I finally pulled the trigger on a Diamondback SE and the Front Runner Rack System. It arrived last week and I just finished installing the cover. I was about to install the Front Runner Rack but it looks you will need three metric drill bits to do this and those are difficult to source at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure if others have done this with regular imperial drill bits. If so, please share your experiences. I emailed DB for guidance about the drill bits and the customer support guy gave me a copy of the installation guide (which I already had). Definitely some lack luster customer service. Just sayin.
My experience with DB customer service was superb. I purchased my cover before the shim kits were included. They took care of that situation very quickly and painlessly. I was very impressed and happy with the process and outcome.

So what were you expecting them to do? You already had the information but then asked for information? They already gave it to you. Think about it from the other side. A customer is provided with instructions and calls to say they don't have the recommended tools for installation. Then the customer asks what tools they can use for installation. Of course they are going to give you the instructions again! I mean come on. You can't blame Diamondback for poor customer service when they provided you with the list of tools needed for installation twice. If you don't have them, or are unwilling/unable to source them that's on you, not them. Don't get all high and mighty on the internet claiming you were mistreated when it's actually you who is the one wasting their time. Just sayin.

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
My experience with DB customer service was superb. I purchased my cover before the shim kits were included. They took care of that situation very quickly and painlessly. I was very impressed and happy with the process and outcome.

So what were you expecting them to do? You already had the information but then asked for information? They already gave it to you. Think about it from the other side. A customer is provided with instructions and calls to say they don't have the recommended tools for installation. Then the customer asks what tools they can use for installation. Of course they are going to give you the instructions again! I mean come on. You can't blame Diamondback for poor customer service when they provided you with the list of tools needed for installation twice. If you don't have them, or are unwilling/unable to source them that's on you, not them. Don't get all high and mighty on the internet claiming you were mistreated when it's actually you who is the one wasting their time. Just sayin.
I’ve nothing but good to say about their CS. Because of the expense and me being new (again) to Jeep, I had a lot of questions. The guy I dealt with on many occasions was patient and helpful. Love my DB SE.....well, once I figured out how to get it tight but that was on me.
And FWIW, I get love for that thing all the time. Even my wife commented positively and she doesn’t care about such things.

As to your issue, I’ve not read any of the emails (and don’t care to) but maybe he misunderstood your need. Just email them again re: the metric/imperial sizing or pick up a phone and call? Pretty simple and easy I’d think.

Pookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Grand Cherokee

Whatever Tim. Sorry to hear you're on the DB payroll. For a relatively expensive product like the DB cover, I expect a higher level of customer service. It's just good business homey. I'm sorry your standards are lower. Just sayin.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Whatever Tim. Sorry to hear you're on the DB payroll. For a relatively expensive product like the DB cover, I expect a higher level of customer service. It's just good business homey. I'm sorry your standards are lower. Just sayin.
Nah, I'm not on the payroll. In fact I sold my Diamondback as I took my build a different direction. That doesn't change what I wrote and it isn't even specific to Diamondback's customer service. Honestly, there's just too much BS on these forums. It's easy to sit behind your keyboard and fire away whether it's deserved or not.

If you want to go outside of a product spec (i.e. use an imperial drill bit vs a metric drill bit) then don't expect to get your hand held along the way. Regardless of the issue shit posting online isn't very helpful at all.

It's your Jeep. Figure it out.
Sponsored