Sponsored

Did you buy a Jeep that is a truck or a truck that is a Jeep?

Did you buy....

• Total voters

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I was shopping for a truck and almost pulled the trigger on a Colorado but found the JTSS at the same price so why not? Had a JKU so the Jeep factor was a welcomed bonus.
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I was in the market for a truck. The Gladiator was number 1 on my list. So truck that is a Jeep. I have a deposit on a bronco but needed something that could tow. So I got the gladiator and talking my wife into buying the bronco.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I needed a replacement for my work vehicle (off-road capable, comfortable on the freeway, large lockable storage.) It also had to be under 5000lbs. to be used as a toad, and hold my DRZ400 motorcycle in the back. I looked at the Ranger, and wasn't particularly impressed. I could've used my J4000, but it would need thousands in upgrades to qualify. Saw the Gladiator on the road, did some research, and got one.
So I guess I got a truck that is a Jeep.

Kevin

jmy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Attorney
I have had many trucks over the years, always traded them for another Jeep. Traded out of a JKU for the JT. So I finally bought another Jeep that is also a bit of a truck!

Sponsored

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Both for me. That is what I thought the first time I looked at one.

PicklesJ

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
We call our Gladiator "jeeptruck" and our JKU "jeepjeep."
The dog is still a bit confused about which one to go to when it's time for a ride (although she is still straight about which vehicle is the "van").

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Yes.

I bought a Jeep that is a truck. I also bought a truck that is a Jeep.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
In my case I have had a truck in the herd since 1990. Big ones, small ones and even 2wd Datsun once. Added a CJ7 to the fleet once but practicality raised is ugly head and when one of the vehicles had to go...well you know the rest of the story.

I have wanted a jeep BUT could not justify it. Put a bed on it? Now we're talking. So what if I can't tow 12000 lbs...don't need to. It covers 90% of my needs and 100% of my desires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoseQ_80

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
I added a poll and included an option for both since many of you think that is the correct answer (I agree but lean truck that is a Jeep).

I imagine most that answer "Truck that is a Jeep" are first time Jeep owners and those that answer the other two ways are previous Jeep owners.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
First time Jeep owner here, but I'd say Jeep that is a truck. It's a truck when I need it to be, and a Jeep the rest of the time. I'm also more likely to refer to it as "the Jeep" than "the truck."

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting way to ask the question and I know exactly what you're talking about. I am definitely in the "Jeep that is a Truck" crowd. I've owned a lot of Jeeps over the years, and quite a few trucks. I gave up my Ford Raptor and my JL Rubicon and bought a Gladiator. Awesome to have a Jeep that can also haul and tow.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Before the Gladiator was released I had a Wranglers and a F150. It has been a wonderful economic advantage to replace two different vehicles with the single JT. I loved the Wrangler and the F150 was an appliance, modded and personalized the Wrangler and the F150 was 99% stock. Liked the extra power and smoothness of the F150, but I have easily adjusted to living without it.

This is hard for me to define, but I guess I'm more of a Jeep that is a truck person, because I haven't missed the F150, and if I only had a F150 I would definitely miss the Jeep.

Edit: like many people, this is what I wish the Gladiator would have been with a 6ft bed, I'm assuming it won't ever happen (I also thought the Gladiator was just going to be a concept and never produced, but non 4-door pickups are dead.)

Jeep Gladiator Did you buy a Jeep that is a truck or  a truck that is a Jeep? h-1497295417-626x382

Last edited:

tjbrown23

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I bought a Wrangler with a bed.

Now that I've had the Gladiator for about seven months, here are the things I miss about my 2017 JKU (Sahara):

1. I was able to carry 12 ft long pieces of wood and trim from Home Depot or Lowes. With the glass lid open, sometimes longer pieces would stick out just a bit. For me to do the same with the Gladiator, I would have to buy a rack, or bend the pieces through the back window. I could remove the top, but what a pain.

2. On long trips, it was convenient to have one of my kids reach for stuff in the back of the Wrangler: snacks, jackets, etc.

4. On my recent trip to Sedona, I could've taken advantage of the Wrangler's shorter wheelbase and rear overhang (same size tires & wheels). Took advantage of the skid plates...

Overall, still very happy with the Gladiator. Some of the advantages of the Gladiator:

1. I was able to carry furniture that would not have fit in my Wrangler.

2. Cool factor. I get lots of looks and compliments since there aren't very many of them. I get about 20 or so additional smiles/hr.
Look on Amazon for a hitch mounted truck bed extender, they are about 70 bucks. Then you can hual 16ft lumber. I even had to use it on my previous full size truck. Just the downsides to a 5 or 5.5 foot bed not a gladiator specific problem.
Sponsored