Sponsored

Did you buy a Jeep that is a truck or a truck that is a Jeep?

Did you buy....

• Total voters

Spcbl1

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Mojave, 1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Occupation
IT Director
I have to say I bought a truck that is a jeep. I was looking for a mid-sized truck and decided to try one on a whim. I have actually never been a fan of jeeps before, I was a bit closed minded and always thought them to be a but small, uncomfortable, and unreliable. Of course my only experience being a passenger in a 97 TJ once...
That being said, once I sat in and test drove the gladiator I was an immediate convert. It was somewhat comfortable (I'm 6'4" so nothing is "comfortable") and I could take the roof off. None of the other mid-sized trucks on the market were like that.
Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
A truck that's a Jeep. I've always wanted a Jeep for capability, and I've always wanted a truck for practicality. But I chose the Sport S Max Tow for the payload and towing. If I wanted a "Jeep that's a truck" I'd have gotten any of the other trims.

Jt2187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2017 Triumph Scrambler
Honestly...neither?

Having a hard time with this one because I wouldn't have considered a JL (too small for a family of 4) or another midsize truck (Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma etc all seem BORING as a daily driver).

I bought a JT because there is no other vehicle on the road with this kind of versatility. You can carry the whole family and their gear, road trip in comfort, have 4wd capability in the winter, top-down fun in the summer, and haul stuff when you need to. If you only can have one vehicle there is nothing else that checks all those boxes. Plus being part of the Jeep family and the ability to customize are icing on the cake.

Deadpool392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR, 2010 Rescue Green JKU
Both, I still have my 2010 JKU that is all dressed up to offroad. I had both the JKU and a 2018 Challenger T/A 392, wife said one has to go in order to buy the Gladiator, as much as I liked the Challenger I couldn't part with my JKU. I learned to drive in a 47 Willy's CJ2A, owned a 55 Willy's CJ5 in high school, I went without for a few years while young in the Marine Corps but don't see myself without a Jeep for the remainder of my life.

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
I'd say a truck that is a Jeep but now that I own it, it really feels more like a Jeep that's also a truck. I was cross shopping against the ZR2 bison and the Ranger, and the JT was the only one that put a smile on my face because of its Jeep characteristics. Had the Rangler Raptor been available in the US at the time I might have gone that route but I'm pretty happy with the JT so far.

Sponsored

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Look on Amazon for a hitch mounted truck bed extender, they are about 70 bucks. Then you can hual 16ft lumber. I even had to use it on my previous full size truck. Just the downsides to a 5 or 5.5 foot bed not a gladiator specific problem.
Good idea on the hitch mounted extender.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I bought a Jeep that is a truck. I had been wanting a Jeep since the JL’s first came out, but opted for a Challenger instead. I Saw the JT at the LA Auto Show in November of 2018 and was blown away by it. It didn’t look like any other truck on the market. I definitely won’t use it to its full potential, but there’s nothing else that comes close to the JT.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Essentially this is a question of whether the JT is a Jeep first or a Truck first. IMO, it's much closer to a fully fledged Jeep than a fully fledged truck, and that's the way I wanted it.

As a Jeep, the JT has all of the capability of a wrangler with the exception of the diminished break over and departure angles. Plus you have the added utility of a small truck bed.

It meets 90% of my personal truck needs as well as I don't usually need to haul big loads or tow a lot. However, if I was looking for a Truck first, I would've bought a Full size pick-up as the Gladiator practically costs the same but is smaller with less payload and towing capacity.

In my view, it's only when you consider the Jeep aspects of the JT that it makes sense. If having the capability to remove the top and doors aren't important to you, there are bigger/better pick ups available for the same price, or equal ones for less.

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
Hi, new member here. I plan to buy this year, will replace my XJ as my daily driver. So I'll say Jeep that is a truck.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I came from a WK, and I wanted a truck - but a commodity pick up was not an option.

Sponsored

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to buy either a Gladiator or a Tacoma, so I was looking for a truck. We have a Grand Cherokee, so we already had a Jeep. Now we just happen to have two...

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I put "both" but in the 6 months I've had it it's been a Jeep more than just a truck.

Originally I was wanting to get something that would help me get over rutted back roads easier. Not exactly the Rubicon trail, so I was initially just looking at mid sized trucks based on clearance and 4WD. Didn't even really think about a Wrangler... and sort of forgot that Jeep made a truck.

Then I saw one in person and my curiosity was piqued. Drove it and I knew it was what I wanted. Such a cool, capable vehicle. I'm a person who considers "jack of all trades" a compliment rather than an insult.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I bought a vehicle appropriately sized to my needs, with more off road capability than I hope I ever need. AND it's not the only vehicle I own or will ever own, it's a tool.

I seriously get tired of the "it's too big, it's too small, it's underpowered, it's overgeared, it's too long it's too short",bunch of bullshit.

Holy hell if you need a bathtub don't buy a barbecue grill it's going to suck for that.

dakota.morgan91

First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(ordered) 2021 Gladiator Willys
I work for Subaru, so I tell people that I buying a truck that is a jeep, since Subaru doesn't make a truck, but I really wanted a Jeep lol

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Truck that is a Jeep... I had a truck, but I also have a TJ. I wanted a new Jeep, and once the Gladiators came out, it was time to swap from truck to truck with being a Jeep as a bonus.
Sponsored