Diesel Oil filter

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Even worse is I’m itching to drain and fill mine at 1000 lol it’s brake in… that the manual said I need not do… but really?? Wouldn’t one not want metal bits and shavings floating around….. I digress but I for sure will be changed out by 3k then at every 5k ish for the rest of her life
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep-A-Kneez

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Got it done just shy of 6k miles, and so far all is well. When questioning the service department on the oil they were planning on using, I was shown what was on the computer screen and it was listing the correct oil but the folks there had no idea. There wasn't the first quart of Morpar oil to be found and they were going to put "the same oil we use in all diesels", Rotilla 5w-40. Had to educate those folks on what to use in the new gen-3 engines and just so happens they had some Pennzoil Platinum with the MS-12291 rating. I blame the company more than the employees for the lack of training on this subject.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Even worse is I’m itching to drain and fill mine at 1000 lol it’s brake in… that the manual said I need not do… but really?? Wouldn’t one not want metal bits and shavings floating around….. I digress but I for sure will be changed out by 3k then at every 5k ish for the rest of her life
It's not necessary to change it, but it's not a bad idea, especially with a new generation diesel engine. They run much better with clean, fresh oil.

We had one of the 1979 Oldsmobile diesel cars. With regular oil changes, sooner than recommended, it ran for years. When my parents gave it to someone else to drive, he didn't listen and do the oil changes like he was told, and the engine blew in about a year.

OP
OP
Jeep-A-Kneez

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We had one of those old Delta 88's, they had gas 350's converted over to diesel. That thing was always stretching head bolts, but ran good when it wasn't in the shop.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
We had one of those old Delta 88's, they had gas 350's converted over to diesel. That thing was always stretching head bolts, but ran good when it wasn't in the shop.
i saw a running ne a few weeks ago. It truly looked like grandmas car that had been put away for years

Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Some of us "gasser guys" have been diesel guys for many many years. If you pay attention to the info we "gasser guys" give you may save some money and get the EXACT same product from the ACTUAL manufacturer for a LOT less money.

MOPAR does NOT make oil filters. MOPAR does NOT make oil.

So again, your OEM filter is PROBABLY made by WIX and is PROBABLY available for less than $18 on Amazon. Your synthetic diesel motor oil is PROBABLY made by Pennzoil and can be found for a cheaper price than MOPAR labeled oil.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Just posting the OEM part number for the filter.
68507598AA

Looks like you have to but the filter with the cap, as the gen3 has a newly designed blow off valve for the filter.

OP
OP
Jeep-A-Kneez

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have two free oil changes remaining, hopefully the aftermarket folks will have some options available soon.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Just posting the OEM part number for the filter.
68507598AA

Looks like you have to but the filter with the cap, as the gen3 has a newly designed blow off valve for the filter.
When you get done with the OEM filter with cap, pop the cap off and see if it fits on the WIX filter for the 3.0 in the JT....

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys JTRD owner here, the Mopar filter until recently was the only filter available for our JT diesels period. Now Eco Guard S11880 filter is a direct knock off of the MOPAR filter. As a mater of fact both are Chinese made and the one I bought online came in the same box as the Mopar filter. Country of Origin on the box listed as undetermined, REALLY! One filter is just under $100.00 here in Canada the other $45.00 online. Someone online said do not buy this filter in the reviews but they actually appear to be identical. I will cut mine up one day and compare the two. Used ones of course, to damn expensive to waist a good one. Our Generation 3 engines are not the same filter as previous engines. The filters differ in a multitude of ways including size. Do not interchange with prior year engine filters.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
The difference is the cap from what I understand. Designed to make the gen 3 retard proof to do the swap. I’m waiting on a bypass kit from insane diesel and they told me I have to use the gen 2 filter with the system. They claim that with the gen 3 you have to replace the filter cap with the filter element every time.

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Some of us "gasser guys" have been diesel guys for many many years. If you pay attention to the info we "gasser guys" give you may save some money and get the EXACT same product from the ACTUAL manufacturer for a LOT less money.

MOPAR does NOT make oil filters. MOPAR does NOT make oil.

So again, your OEM filter is PROBABLY made by WIX and is PROBABLY available for less than $18 on Amazon. Your synthetic diesel motor oil is PROBABLY made by Pennzoil and can be found for a cheaper price than MOPAR labeled oil.
Ok. let back waaaay up.

Find a filter anywhere for under $90 that you can actually put your hands on. now find any filter at any price.

Jeep Cares is unable to do anything. Final word yesterday is that they have “No solution “ .

I’ve scheduled oil changes with every major dealer in Utah from the Idaho border to Arizona. Forget Colorado and Nevada too. No aftermarket available from any source. I’ve still been unable to change my oil anywhere at any price. I have now put my $65,000 Gladiator in storage.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Chevy guys are complaining about the same, Ford truck owners are complaining about the same and yet Jeep gets blamed, dealers get blamed.

Check around the other make forums, it's scattered among most make trucks, especially diesels.
And people wonder why truckers are getting upset over things.......

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Should be blaming the administrations of the last 20 years that pushed out most US manufacturing…. Relying on non domestic maintenance supplies is what has us by the balls. However jeep ford gm all of them should be doing a better job at sourcing these items. Your going to void my warrantee if I don’t change the oil at 10k, well I schedule it at 7500 and am now at 12k cuz it’s my only vehicle and you “jeep ford gm aka whoever “ failed me in providing me with the maintenance you the manufacturer required. I can’t park my truck and stay home because you can’t provide the maintenance you require !
Sponsored