OP

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco ‘22 Gladiator
OP, do a search just on this Board. There are numerous accounts of power derate due to overheating. Usually a combination of towing, high temperature, and inclines.

There is a standing problem with ALL U.S.A. based diesels in their programming. The Feds set a level and the manufacturers were a little too stringent on adherence. The Feds have changed what is required and help is coming I believe next year.

Unfortunately the balls have been taken out of diesels in this country. With all the emissions crap that has been added the engines can't do what they're designed to.

Nuts and bolts, a diesel can and will outperform a gas engine in the towing and hauling department. A diesel will get better fuel mileage than gas engine. A diesel will cost you more on upkeep than a gas engine. A diesel will (but shouldn't, but a different argument) cost you more in fuel.

Most of the horror stories you hear about with the 3.0 diesel are due to one of the nanny emission systems screwing up, not the engine itself.
i can’t wait until aftermarket steps up with “off-road” solutions
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Banks has a tuner for it. But they probably based it off the Ram 3.0 and they don't have the heating issue. So the Banks Tuner probably doesn't address the heating issue.

I know they limit power at a certain temperature and they completely remove added power at another temperature.

So, give Banks time, and they'll probably come up with something. They usually are the first to market. Not always the best, but usually the first.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
They are reliable.
They are full of torque…

If your plan is towing a bigger trailer, or trailer with a lot of frontal area… get a ram.

No issues with mine. 20k

Derate has happened though when pushing it, and the limited up travel means you will bottom out in the front unless you lift it.

The diesel is worth the trade offs.
It's a little ironic that you state it has "no issues" and then immediately list two issues in the next sentence

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
You sound just like a friend of mine who worried about every single thing, and ended with nothing.

You should buy a Toyota...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sinner05

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco ‘22 Gladiator
Banks has a tuner for it. But they probably based it off the Ram 3.0 and they don't have the heating issue. So the Banks Tuner probably doesn't address the heating issue.

I know they limit power at a certain temperature and they completely remove added power at another temperature.

So, give Banks time, and they'll probably come up with something. They usually are the first to market. Not always the best, but usually the first.
I was thinking more to delete the def shit

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Bear in mind that all of Europe and many other places, have been running diesels for decades. I have 2x 3.0 Tdi's and 2 x 2.0 Tdi's in the family and only bought a petrol JTR because the diesel isn't available here. All my diesels have been mechanically faultless (less the stupid DSG gearboxes) and I REALLY miss the torque.

I'm not sure why the Ecodiesel seems to have gained a poor reputation in the States, perhaps too many short journeys and school runs. There is an alarming post on one of the Gladiator FB sites today about a JTD on the Rubicon trail that has gone into 'limp' mode because it needs a regen. How to recover that???
I also have a couple tdi’s. Stevenson tuning out of Canada has a great off road tune…
They also have a great dsg tune- I recommend stage one…. Stage two keeps the rpm’s too high (shift points) (in my opinion)

the eco diesel in my opinion has a bad reputation due to the generation 1 and 2 offered in the dodge 1500& grand Cherokee. The gen 3 seems to be a Much better motor. The revisions are the only reason we picked one up.
Sponsored