Sponsored

Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice?

Scrambler84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel, 2012 JKUR, 1984 Scrambler
Occupation
Network Engineer
I love my Diesel Rubicon, carrying Fishbone half rack and Tepui RTT this weekend plus camping gear and wheeled it through a number of trails at Oak Ridge in VA and it did great, zoom up hills never dies when climbing (my JKUR always does) got stuck in ruts with out lift twice but that will be remedied soon. Getting 25 mpg on the trip down from DC area with only 1500 miles on it. the extra range with the diesel and the torque were big factors for me in purchase, nothing to do with price savings over time ect.

IMO if you don't own one or haven't driven one 100 miles then you cant really have a valid opinion. Its kind of the walk a mile in my shoes then we can talk .
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The gas engine actually has more power @285 vs 260hp from the diesel. You could experience this in an exaggerated way by taking each up a steep mountain road. The gas engine will beat the diesel up the mountain (admittedly with more exertion though). Or you could just race them on flat ground to top speed.

Horsepower = How quickly work can be done (Torque x RPMs / 5252).

Torque = the overall work that can potentially be done.

Before I get BERATED for being a complete smartass, the diesel will excel for what this vehicle is made for on-road (MPGs) and off the road (torque down low). No one in their right mind would choose the gas over diesel option if a) money wasn’t an issue and b) reliability was equal to the Pentastar.
Being smart is in short supply these days. We all have an ass. Be smart and do not worry about the ass. I will add that engines make torque and HP is a made up number of equivalency of steam engines to mine ponies but because the HP figures are what have been sold to the hive mind, that is what matters to the uninformed. (Most all of us)

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
I think you're wrong on that. My diesel gladiator on 37s with stock gears walks all over my brothers 4 door jl on 33s. Drag race from a stop or highway rolling starts, doesnt matter I always win by a lot.
Because of torque. HP is the rate(over time) at which work, torque, is produced. HP is the salesman's version of penis envy. Need proof? Why does HD not publish HP numbers? Because a modern 600cc motorcycle "makes" more power on paper but the HD comes off the line like a cannon shot but goes flat above 70 or so.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I was looking at the Sport S trims and to get near the same towing capacity, the price difference is only $2955.
Sport S Diesel with Trailer Tow is $44,945
Sport S with Max Tow is $41,990.

The basic Sport S (manual/auto) can only trailer tow up to 4000/4500 lbs and comes with an Open rear Diff. Adding the Diesel brings you up to a 6500lbs trailer and Trac-Lok rear. Yes the Max Tow can tow more at 7650 and the package comes with the Trac-Lok rear.

Both the Diesel and MaxTow will be able to handle the trailer that I'll be towing (5x8 or 6x12 enclosed trailer) a couple times a month.
With just the standard tow pack ($375) the Pentastar/Auto will pull 6000#, matching the diesel rating. Obviously, with 77% more peak torque, (and more than double the torque at cruising rpm) the diesel will pull stronger, quieter, and more confidently.

OP
OP
wvuviv30

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
With just the standard tow pack ($375) the Pentastar/Auto will pull 6000#, matching the diesel rating. Obviously, with 77% more peak torque, (and more than double the torque at cruising rpm) the diesel will pull stronger, quieter, and more confidently.
on the FCA spec document, the tow ratings are based of the gear ratio showing that the 3.6 with 3.73 is limited to 4000/4500 lbs. It doesn’t say anting about increased capacities with the ($375) Trailer-Tow package.

73304605-A839-4B44-BEA4-A638F4B8EC62.jpeg

Sponsored

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Had a Sport S for about 6 months, found a loaded Willys with the diesel that I had been eyeing for 2 months... financially it made sense, and I pulled the trigger immediately after test driving it. Night and day difference going from 3.6 to 3.0. I echo what everyone else has already said--it's like this engine was made for this truck.

Am I that worried about emissions, DEF, DPF, regens, blah blah... nope. That's no way to rationalize buying a Jeep... if I was buying an econocar that I wanted to keep for 20+ years, sure.

Rooney58

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel
Bought a Sport S Diesel just over 2 months ago and put 9,000 miles on it already. Been traveling a lot due to my job. We went from a 2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L and the difference is night a day, just like everyone else has been saying.

My only worry about the EcoDiesel is that my brother-in-law has a 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and it blew the turbo because of the emission system that comes with it. What happened is that the soot built up so much in the intake manifold that it cloque the system, which made the throttle to stick which eventually blew up the turbo. Hopefully, this doesn't happen to the new EcoDiesels but I am gun-ho about removing all emission hardware once we go over our 100,000 mile extended warranty.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
I was looking at the Sport S trims and to get near the same towing capacity, the price difference is only $2955.

The basic Sport S (manual/auto) can only trailer tow up to 4000/4500 lbs and comes with an Open rear Diff. Adding the Diesel brings you up to a 6500lbs trailer and Trac-Lok rear. Yes the Max Tow can tow more at 7650 and the package comes with the Trac-Lok rear.

Both the Diesel and MaxTow will be able to handle the trailer that I'll be towing (5x8 or 6x12 enclosed trailer) a couple times a month.
QUOTE="wvuviv30, post: 680234, member: 36804"]

[/QUOTE]

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Removal of emission system in my county in Texas means you can not get the vehicle inspected. It’s an auto fail.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright

Yes but you don't need Max tow, I have the standard tow package and 7000# capacity, receiver, wiring plugs in bumper for a couple hundred bucks...so here we are right back to over $3k difference and still 500# more capacity than the diesel!!!! And antispin with AT tires is $595 more (I have it), trailer tow $350.
Screenshot_20210323-122230.png

Sponsored

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright
Excerpt from glad towing test, the 3.6 will get you over the mountain faster
Screenshot_20210321-214736.png

Reactions: Mac
OP
OP
wvuviv30

wvuviv30

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Live Sound Engineer - Meerkat Sound
Excerpt from glad towing test, the 3.6 will get you over the mountain faster
Jeep Gladiator Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice? Screenshot_20210321-214736
That article has been disproved a few times.

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Millwright
That article has been disproved a few times.
I'd like to see it, the eco diesel is no cummins or power stroke. If you are happy, who cares, all I know is that for me, in my area, the eco would be like flushing $4k down the toilet or lighting my backyard fire pit 40 times with a $100 bill. Fuel mileage economy is not enough better to cover the higher fuel cost of def and diesel let alone with the oh no I gotta go drive hard to regen for an extra 20 minutes home, wasting time and fuel.
I love diesel's, love money more... ecodiesel's lose EVERYTIME in cost of ownership alone. If this article has been disproven please provide citations, I would like to read them, I have an open mind.... please provide the who, what, where and when

Reactions: Mac

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I'd like to see it, the eco diesel is no cummins or power stroke. If you are happy, who cares, all I know is that for me, in my area, the eco would be like flushing $4k down the toilet or lighting my backyard fire pit 40 times with a $100 bill. Fuel mileage economy is not enough better to cover the higher fuel cost of def and diesel let alone with the oh no I gotta go drive hard to regen for an extra 20 minutes home, wasting time and fuel.
I love diesel's, love money more... ecodiesel's lose EVERYTIME in cost of ownership alone. If this article has been disproven please provide citations, I would like to read them, I have an open mind.... please provide the who, what, where and when

The gas has 25hp more. That is not enough to make any significant difference. There is no way 25hp more in the gas yields performance gains such that a gas could easily accelerate up a grade that the diesel can barely maintain speed.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
on the FCA spec document, the tow ratings are based of the gear ratio showing that the 3.6 with 3.73 is limited to 4000/4500 lbs. It doesn’t say anting about increased capacities with the ($375) Trailer-Tow package.

Jeep Gladiator Diesel owners; do you regret you engine choice? Screenshot_20210321-214736
Page 214 of the owners manual...

AD68920E-FE65-452D-B1A4-2F1907816112.jpeg
Sponsored