• Watchers 7

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@Rusty PW bro I didnt know you were into jeeps too ;) hahaha gonna be selling the Z soon too. I already have forged internals for the penta star motor by my desk. I just picked up a supercharger over the weekend lol you know whats next haha

Mike

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
@Rusty PW bro I didnt know you were into jeeps too ;) hahaha gonna be selling the Z soon too. I already have forged internals for the penta star motor by my desk. I just picked up a supercharger over the weekend lol you know whats next haha

Mike
Hi Mike,
Yea, I'm on my 6th Jeep. All have been Cherokee, GC, Liberty, GC,GC, and now a JTRD.

I seen the you had the White Dragon up for sale. I thought it was sold. Spooler is over 1,000+ HP now. The thing is a beast.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Comifornian has left the chat. Too much regulation, inspection and smog to deals with :)

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Ive seriously considered learning more about vehicle hacking. while at DEFCON my interest peaked.
https://www.tunerpro.net/

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

start googleing for this and dive down the forum rabbit holes.

Basically there are 3 steps.
1. Find a hardware solution that can read your ECU and do a ROM dump of the ECU, usually it's a binary dump.
2. Decode the ROM dump into tables defined by start and stop points using the hexadecimal values of the binary. This is where it gets tricky, it seems these tables can be sniffed out by interpreting how the values plot charts. Certain tables like a fuel map will have a distinct shape to them.
3.Once tables are defined you can then modify these. Resave the bin file and flash a new bin to the ECU and hope nothing goes boom.

There are 2 camps the best i can tell. There are the pay to play camps, like hptuner where they have team of staff that do all the hard work of defining the bin files, and provide a easy to use tool to modify this bin file in exchange for sums of money. You will have to pay money for hardware to read and flash the ECU (which likely encrypts the bin file into a proprietary file for use with their software only), and will have to pay money for their software to edit the file and you may also have to pay money to buy a definitions file that will organize and define the bin file into it's editable parts. The money part makes up for the learning curve.

Or you can jump into the DIY world join some forums and try to self learn everything using open software type map editors and Chinese sourced clone hardware readers (alibaba is your friend). There is no clear formula it's just a matter of how much time vs money do you have and is your brain wired in a way to let you figure it out?

There are plenty of folks that have figured this stuff out, so it's not out of the question.

My suggestion to you is to start poking around on the forums find out what car or motorcycle has the most active community of ECU editing, buy a cheap one of those and practice on it using what you have learned in the communities as a trial and error. Once you know that vehicle backwards move on to a vehicle that has little to no support and start trail blazing.

I have been trying to figure this stuff out for last 5 years off and on poking, and only really understand how this cottage industry is built and what some of the basic tools are. I couldn't tell one map from another. My plan is to compare one good map i have with a known value (idle speed) with the same good map with a changed idle speed and see if i can find the difference.

I playing with a dirtbike map trying to get my head around it. Plus it's way simpler then the old JT.

Sponsored

bullitt5897

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hi Mike,
Yea, I'm on my 6th Jeep. All have been Cherokee, GC, Liberty, GC,GC, and now a JTRD.

I seen the you had the White Dragon up for sale. I thought it was sold. Spooler is over 1,000+ HP now. The thing is a beast.
I pulled it back down. I keep getting buyers commit and then never come see the car. I will probably auction it this summer like Moses did his. Thats awesome for Spooler! The more we can get in the 4 digit club the better! I designed a twin turbo kit for the newer VR30 motor. I may end up designing a bigger rotrex SC kit for this platform if I can get the tuning sorted.

This is my third Wrangler/Gladiator.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

I pulled it back down. I keep getting buyers commit and then never come see the car. I will probably auction it this summer like Moses did his. Thats awesome for Spooler! The more we can get in the 4 digit club the better! I designed a twin turbo kit for the newer VR30 motor. I may end up designing a bigger rotrex SC kit for this platform if I can get the tuning sorted.

i need to get on your guys level.

OP
OP

Deleted member 47279

https://www.tunerpro.net/

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=EcuFlash

start googleing for this and dive down the forum rabbit holes.

Basically there are 3 steps.
1. Find a hardware solution that can read your ECU and do a ROM dump of the ECU, usually it's a binary dump.
2. Decode the ROM dump into tables defined by start and stop points using the hexadecimal values of the binary. This is where it gets tricky, it seems these tables can be sniffed out by interpreting how the values plot charts. Certain tables like a fuel map will have a distinct shape to them.
3.Once tables are defined you can then modify these. Resave the bin file and flash a new bin to the ECU and hope nothing goes boom.

There are 2 camps the best i can tell. There are the pay to play camps, like hptuner where they have team of staff that do all the hard work of defining the bin files, and provide a easy to use tool to modify this bin file in exchange for sums of money. You will have to pay money for hardware to read and flash the ECU (which likely encrypts the bin file into a proprietary file for use with their software only), and will have to pay money for their software to edit the file and you may also have to pay money to buy a definitions file that will organize and define the bin file into it's editable parts. The money part makes up for the learning curve.

Or you can jump into the DIY world join some forums and try to self learn everything using open software type map editors and Chinese sourced clone hardware readers (alibaba is your friend). There is no clear formula it's just a matter of how much time vs money do you have and is your brain wired in a way to let you figure it out?

There are plenty of folks that have figured this stuff out, so it's not out of the question.

My suggestion to you is to start poking around on the forums find out what car or motorcycle has the most active community of ECU editing, buy a cheap one of those and practice on it using what you have learned in the communities as a trial and error. Once you know that vehicle backwards move on to a vehicle that has little to no support and start trail blazing.

I have been trying to figure this stuff out for last 5 years off and on poking, and only really understand how this cottage industry is built and what some of the basic tools are. I couldn't tell one map from another. My plan is to compare one good map i have with a known value (idle speed) with the same good map with a changed idle speed and see if i can find the difference.

I playing with a dirtbike map trying to get my head around it. Plus it's way simpler then the old JT.
Ive been pondering how the JL TAZER works (MITM, or Faster message)as it seems to have full access most busses. with the security gateway overridden its a matter of time before a tuner figures out how to flash the ECM from a PG3. As of right now the PG3 can access the TCM , but not the ECM which both live on the PCM. Im wondering what is preventing it, such as physical data link speration or authentication. Honestly Ill just pay what someone has already done, but if they lock down and piss me off...well thats a diferent story lol

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Ive been pondering how the JL TAZER works (MITM, or Faster message)as it seems to have full access most busses. with the security gateway overridden its a matter of time before a tuner figures out how to flash the ECM from a PG3. As of right now the PG3 can access the TCM , but not the ECM which both live on the PCM. Im wondering what is preventing it, such as physical data link speration or authentication. Honestly Ill just pay what someone has already done, but if they lock down and piss me off...well thats a diferent story lol
PG3? power gate 3 by alientech? Alientech is one of the pay to play tuners that have decoded things for you. The difficult thing is none of the pay to play tuners really advertise what tables they have unlocked in their tuning.

HPtuner seems to offer a package for the jeep ecoD, and they have their proprietary dongle that plugs in like a tazer. Similar to a PG# by Alientech. HP seems to sell the Jeep EcoD decoder ring for about 300 bucks plus what ever the cost is for their hardware and software license.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Besides Spooler, there is a few guys running around in the 750 to 900 HP range.
TopgunZ came out with a Rotrex Air to Air supercharger kit. Has some good results. Think the one guy got over 800HP with it. A lot of the guys are having Mazworks installing Dart Mid Sleeves to help with the head lift issue. Still happens over 25lbs of boost. Plus the inlet manifold starts to split. For that. There's the SOHO manifold. $$$

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
"I'ma"

Def. Proclamation of an individual's intention to undertake and execute a task.

Synonyms: I'm going to, I'm gonna

Nawwmean? 🤣
Hell ye mane,you wtf goin on cuhh
Dat bih gon sound nice wit tha big ahh turbo cuhh
Damn....the hood me from Chicago and Houston coming out lol :CWL:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hell ye mane,you wtf goin on cuhh
Dat bih gon sound nice wit tha big ahh turbo cuhh
Damn....the hood me from Chicago and Houston coming out lol :CWL:
WTF you just say???

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
Does anyone offer an in vehicle flash tuner for the ecodiesel? I hate to have my truck down for days to get it tuned.