Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
arskemp—-that is fantastic. Clean setup and exactly what I would like to do for my tent. I want to make it just tall enough for my cover to roll up—like you did. My tent is 140lbs. What are your (or anyone’s) thoughts on it handling that weight on the road?
I'm by know means an expert, but I would agree with others and say a good starting point would be to use the 4 bolt corner gussets. I've never used an RTT so I'm not sure on what the mounting options are (can the floor of the tent add fore/aft stability when bolted down?).

If you EVER decide to use it at full height though, it might be worth getting 1530 instead of 1515 like mx5red.
Sponsored

TheLunk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland Snazzberry (traded in 2020 Max Tow)
Alright. So, Life happens and I just got my rack put together... Pretty happy with the results.

Here's a few pics:

I'll post up some details if anyone is interested...

TheLunk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Overland Snazzberry (traded in 2020 Max Tow)
If anyone is wondering, here's the components I used.

Extrusion was all ordered through tnutz.com. I catch a break on shipping because they're only about 100 miles from me. Invoice at the bottom.

Hardware:

spot-weld nuts:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TK14BW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

socket head cap screws (from grainger):

https://www.grainger.com/product/22...l&gucid=EMT:10101010:SKU:CSM-348&emcid=NA:SKU

and these are the extra corner braces I added:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M7BRWSI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Added split washers to everything to try and keep things together, but if I find anything starts to back out I'll go back with some blue threadlocker.

ProductQuantityPrice
EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
0.000"
  • Machining for one end.:
No machining
  • Machining for other end.:
No machining
4$98.00
EX-1530-BLACK - 1.5" x 3" BLACK Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion
  • Length (in):
  • Fractional length:
0.000"
  • Machining for one end.:
No machining
  • Machining for other end.:
No machining
2$121.00
15 SERIES - BLACK PLASTIC END CAP – BLANK - 1.5'' x 3''
  • Size:
1.5'' x 3''
12$11.40
(CB-015-K-BLACK) 15 Series 4 BLACK Hole Inside Corner Gusset
  • MOUNTING HARDWARE:
NO HARDWARE REQUIRED
16$104.80
Subtotal:$335.20
Shipping:$38.17 via Ground (UPS)
Payment method:Credit Card (Stripe)
Total:$373.37

Last edited:

gstipton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Meant to post this here.

Joined the extrusion club. I'm just starting with the basics because you know... need a way to hang those Christmas lights. :)

The real plan is to build it out more to mount and transport camping gear for trips with my kids in the spring. Right now having fun thinking about what to do next and what to make next.

I'd like to angle it in slightly, partly for aesthetics and partly so if I mount something on the side it doesn't stick out to the side as far. Considering making some brackets for the bottom with a slight angle and using an elbow joint from TNutz to join the extrusions.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s IMG-2705

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s IMG-2706

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s IMG-2707

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s IMG-2708

Last edited:

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I decided to cut down the height of my rack. After a while I realized I’m not likely going to carry anything flat on the rack, which is why I originally planned it at/above cab height.
Pretty much anything I’d put up there whether kayak/surfboard/tent whatever is going to sit on a carrier so would be raised another few inches above the crossbars. Plus, it just never quite looked right to me.
So I cut the posts down 4.5”, from 23” to 18.5.” I think it looks much better and will still accomplish what I want to.
Before:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 1669884210839

After:
Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s CEBBF39C-1B15-46EE-80B4-86F00BB40C95

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s B4E5EE44-DBD8-4FF0-BE0E-ED039F2F8493

Sponsored

SAReis

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
IT
Well, unfortunately neither the support on bakflip.com or BAK industries themselves could get me information on what fit their rail. A bit disappointed that they did not have any recommendations on t nuts or t bolts that would fit and just told me to essentially buy a rack that advertises compatibility with their cover.

I ended up hitting my local hardware store and found what they called "spot weld nuts" that looked like they would work. Bought all that they had (only enough for one of the rails) and some stainless hardware. These work significantly better than the upside down t nuts that came with the corner brackets. They fit well and with a half inch bolt the rack slides very easily when loosened and snug when tight.

Since the hardware store couldn't tell me when they would get more in (and didn't have them available online) I found what I "think" are the same ones on Amazon. Once I confirm this I'll post up a link to everything I bought.

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s B4E5EE44-DBD8-4FF0-BE0E-ED039F2F8493

These fit perfectly for me. Nice and snug.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PL3XQ1...AY1OGTVY&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Jeep Gladiator DIY Aluminum Extrusion T Slot Rack for BAK Revolver x4s 1695578234613

Sarge.Jave14

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Just got all the parts in and put it on yesterday. Extremely happy with how it turned out.

I was having trouble finding a rack that fit my needs. Requirements were:

- Low as possible while still allowing room for the Revolver x4s to open.
- Utilize the t slots (be able to adjust and slide forward/back)
- Easy to take on/off
- Carry lightweight items (my main purpose is to hold 2 bikes)
- Budget of around $500 or less
- (bonus) height adjustable

I decided to go the DIY route since I couldn't find anything to fit my needs. This led me down the path of aluminum extrusion.

Cost was way under budget, being a bit under $250 after tax and shipping (I had all the material arrive cut). I also have some smaller 1.5" legs if I want the rack lowered to just above the tonneau cover (obviously it doesn't open at that height though). Rack feels very stout and actually feels like it reinforces the tonneau cover rails so they flex a bit less.

Should be testing with my bicycles in the coming weeks (rain is in the forecast this weekend). I have two older yakima racks that I plan to use with this.

20220601_182707-01.jpeg

20220601_182718-01.jpeg

20220601_182742-01.jpeg

20220601_174309-01.jpeg
What’s the dynamic and static load weight?

OP
OP
arskemp

arskemp

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sarge Green Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
What’s the dynamic and static load weight?
I don't have any formal calculations or testing on that. When I was reading other project involving extrusion (usually it was for racks on top of SUVs or campers) their was a general consensus on max "desirable" deflection. I then looked as some generic deflection calculators for my bikes weights and locations (most common scenario for me) and then added a bit of safety factor and I was under that. Unfortunately, I don't really have any formal math on any of that, but it should be easy to calculate yourself. This doesn't cover fore/aft movement though, which is another concern (that could also be improved with larger corner brackets or running it with the shorter legs which is what I typically am doing anyways).

At the higher height I've jumped up and down on the center of the track as well as stood on it with both bikes mounted. That being said, I usually run it at the lower height (so that it is not viewable in the rear view mirror when not in use). I've had my bikes on it more than a couple dozen times at this point without issue.

In summary, the closest thing I have to a rating is putting my bikes on it, shaking it, and remarking "that aint going nowhere".

Sarge.Jave14

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I don't have any formal calculations or testing on that. When I was reading other project involving extrusion (usually it was for racks on top of SUVs or campers) their was a general consensus on max "desirable" deflection. I then looked as some generic deflection calculators for my bikes weights and locations (most common scenario for me) and then added a bit of safety factor and I was under that. Unfortunately, I don't really have any formal math on any of that, but it should be easy to calculate yourself. This doesn't cover fore/aft movement though, which is another concern (that could also be improved with larger corner brackets or running it with the shorter legs which is what I typically am doing anyways).

At the higher height I've jumped up and down on the center of the track as well as stood on it with both bikes mounted. That being said, I usually run it at the lower height (so that it is not viewable in the rear view mirror when not in use). I've had my bikes on it more than a couple dozen times at this point without issue.

In summary, the closest thing I have to a rating is putting my bikes on it, shaking it, and remarking "that aint going nowhere".

thanks for the info. my plan is to DIY like you did and go about 8in high legs. Planning to put a RTT (roughly 120lbs empty). possibly 3 post (overkill?). i have not yet picked up the bed cover as i am still doing more research on what crossbar will work or what diy is best for the plan.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
This does t look very safe to me given how thin the aluminum is that your mounting plate clamps up against. Iam guessing it's .125 thick.
Sponsored