Meisterjager

Meisterjager

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
In your shoes, I see it as stupid tax, fix it right and move on with my life. Trust me, I pay stupid tax all the time.

It may feel like a big deal, but it's really just a 'minor accident'. This is an expensive vehicle, I couldn't live with myself if I botched a DIY job on a brand new truck.

Whether or not I would claim it on insurance, is based on the quote I get from a few body shops vs my deductible and any perceived premium increases.
Yeah I think I will give Geico a call and see if it would affect my premium first, and then make a decision about doing it through them or waiting and seeing if I can find a used donor door
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Hard to follow what the S#@t is the point?
If you read the other fellas post you’d see it was he was saying it was the body shop. There were a lot of eyes on the situation and it still slipped through the fox’s paws.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
If you read the other fellas post you’d see it was he was saying it was the body shop. There were a lot of eyes on the situation and it still slipped through the fox’s paws.
Agreed is that fox"s paws that fellas on the tv talking about that there car fax?

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well your only about 2.5 hours away from where I go photograph the eagles in the winter. Give me 6 weeks or so and I may just do that.
312.jpg
Now and then we see an eagle fly over (not the AMC version) and we've seen them clear up in the tall trees on rare occasion.
We are not far at all from the Des Moines river - maybe 1.5 miles or so and it's mostly woods between us and the river. I've watched the eagles of Decorah on the internet before. Majestic birds and to photograph them like that, just awesome.
Friends are always welcome.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In your shoes, I see it as stupid tax, fix it right and move on with my life. Trust me, I pay stupid tax all the time.

It may feel like a big deal, but it's really just a 'minor accident'. This is an expensive vehicle, I couldn't live with myself if I botched a DIY job on a brand new truck.

Whether or not I would claim it on insurance, is based on the quote I get from a few body shops vs my deductible and any perceived premium increases.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This in spades.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You know anyone that does body work, if so you can let them do it and not report it. I got a couple buddies locally I use that won't report anything unless going through insurance. I use those guys for paying out of pocket, and I'm not going to say on here which one but one of those two are a local dealership.

OP
OP
Meisterjager

Meisterjager

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Do dealers offer the new half doors, or are they only a option when building new? If they fit a hardtop, I wouldn’t mind switching all of them and that would solve my problem without having to fix anything

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I have used car-part.com to find & buy car parts in the correct color. I'd try to find a factory painted door and swap it out.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You know anyone that does body work, if so you can let them do it and not report it. I got a couple buddies locally I use that won't report anything unless going through insurance. I use those guys for paying out of pocket, and I'm not going to say on here which one but one of those two are a local dealership.
Why would they not report most of the time but report when going through insurance?
Most shops don't report anyway, at all, period (as demonstrated in the quotes) and all you gotta do is ask 'em - but I see little sense in not reporting, but then reporting if it's insurance.
There's no requirement, so there's no reason to do it one way for insurance and another way without. It's a voluntary thing. It's not a law or even an insurance company requirement. (and insurance companies and police don't report such things)

I still think people get too worked up about even the thought of a small thing like that being reported. So what?
I'd be concerned about frame damage, flood damage, something major - maybe an impact to the axles, whatever, but when buying a JEEP, you should be looking things over anyway if buying.
I can spot most repairs that mean anything anyway and if it's something that I can't spot, then it must have been pretty minor and extremely well done. (because I used to look vehicles over for people as a side thing and in restorations, you learn a lot)

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Are the doors aluminum? You don't want to body work on that.

I'd definitely be looking for a boneyard door rather than spend money on body work and paint. These things were designed to have the doors off so it's very easy to swap.

OP
OP
Meisterjager

Meisterjager

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Are the doors aluminum? You don't want to body work on that.

I'd definitely be looking for a boneyard door rather than spend money on body work and paint. These things were designed to have the doors off so it's very easy to swap.
Yeah I don’t want any body work or filler. It would be a new door shell whetherthe dealer or I get one and get it painted or it’s a donor

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Why would they not report most of the time but report when going through insurance?
Most shops don't report anyway, at all, period (as demonstrated in the quotes) and all you gotta do is ask 'em - but I see little sense in not reporting, but then reporting if it's insurance.
There's no requirement, so there's no reason to do it one way for insurance and another way without. It's a voluntary thing. It's not a law or even an insurance company requirement. (and insurance companies and police don't report such things)

I still think people get too worked up about even the thought of a small thing like that being reported. So what?
I'd be concerned about frame damage, flood damage, something major - maybe an impact to the axles, whatever, but when buying a JEEP, you should be looking things over anyway if buying.
I can spot most repairs that mean anything anyway and if it's something that I can't spot, then it must have been pretty minor and extremely well done. (because I used to look vehicles over for people as a side thing and in restorations, you learn a lot)
Not sure the reasoning behind it, that's just what the guy told me. I have zero knowledge of the laws on it either so I trust your input on it. Both shops are great and that's really the main reason I use them.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Do dealers offer the new half doors, or are they only a option when building new? If they fit a hardtop, I wouldn’t mind switching all of them and that would solve my problem without having to fix anything
Well they are an option so they would be available. But they are a ridiculous price for half a door. There are aftermarket possibilities as well.
But, you will have no security with them if that’s all you have. So I suppose if you park in secure areas or are not worried about possible theft, your idea may work for you.
Sponsored