Sponsored

Do all Mojave front diffs not have a drain plug, or is it just mine?

Eeeckman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Changed the diff fluids this last weekend and noticed there's no drain plug on my front diff. Looks like there's a place for on on the bottom, but it's solid metal. Just curious... šŸ˜„
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Changed the diff fluids this last weekend and noticed there's no drain plug on my front diff. Looks like there's a place for on on the bottom, but it's solid metal. Just curious... šŸ˜„
My 2020 has one.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
^^ what he said. My '23 does not have one

OP
OP
Eeeckman

Eeeckman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thx all, I appreciate the feedback! I used a marine electric oil change pump I have for my diesel boat motor. Guess I'll get a spare gasket for next time. :)

OP
OP
Eeeckman

Eeeckman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thx all! šŸ˜„ I used a marine oil change pump to get most of the old fluid out. I'll have to get a spare gasket for next time.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Thx all! šŸ˜„ I used a marine oil change pump to get most of the old fluid out. I'll have to get a spare gasket for next time.
On the rear, I think some folks are also cleaning up any tiny magnetic particles that would gather around the sensor for the E-locker. I havenā€™t taken my diff covers off yet, so donā€™t be afraid to do so; also i think thereā€™s some trick to jacking up one side of the front, so that the front diff cover can be removed without removing other suspension items.

edit: also check those fluids after doing water crossings, Iā€™m hearing those axle seals do a good job of keeping fluids in, but donā€™t do a great job of keeping contaminants out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eeeckman

Eeeckman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
On the rear, I think some folks are also cleaning up any tiny magnetic particles that would gather around the sensor for the E-locker. I havenā€™t taken my diff covers off yet, so donā€™t be afraid to do so; also i think thereā€™s some trick to jacking up one side of the front, so that the front diff cover can be removed without removing other suspension items.

edit: also check those fluids after doing water crossings, Iā€™m hearing those axle seals do a good job of keeping fluids in, but donā€™t do a great job of keeping contaminants out.
Thx! Yes, the tie rod is right in front of the cover. Good tip! šŸ˜€

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Shouldn't happen - but............ hot differential dunked into cold water up over the axles means the seals are under water while there's possible low pressure in the differential until the vent equalizes things.
Some vehicles use a double type seal there - preventing anything moving either direction, but gee, that adds $.00496 to the cost of each axle.
The front hubs on my car run double-lip seals - nothing out, nothing in.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
a little off topic, my "89 YJ would push t-case fluid up the speedo cable and drip on my shoes when it was hot. I think the t-case vent was plugged.
Sponsored